Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Old Jan 9th 2024, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

There is certainly truth in the inconsistency in government offices with staff in the same office having different opinions ! Five years ago when I went to change my UK driving licence over to a Hungarian one, the lady in the Kormanyablak was looking at all of the details and she asked me if I intended to drive large trucks here, to which I replied no. I didn't think anything of it but quite some time later when I was checking when the licence was due for renewal, I noticed that category C1, which was on my UK licence, hadn't been carried over to my Hungarian one. I went to the Kormanyablak at the end of December to renew it and my Hungarian neighbour was with me to interpret and to tell her that I wanted my category C1 putting onto the renewed licence as it should have been in the first place ! I explained that nowadays, many 4wd cars are close to the weight limit especially when carrying a load and for that reason, category C1 is important ... she was absolutely adamant that I couldn't have it back on unless I went for a special medical that is reserved for professional drivers ! A friend of mine here from the UK told me that her Kormanyablak tried that on with her but she stuck to her guns and they carried category C1 over to her Hungarian licence and she has advised me to go to the Kormanyablak in Zalaegerszeg next time I'm there to see what they have to say about it so that's what I will do !
Old Jan 9th 2024, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

About driving medicals, I changed my UK licence to a Hungarian one in 1996 (I've been here a long time). As a result of mismatched groups I got a full house licence. I now have groups A ,BE, CE,and DE. My medical used to be a professional medical done centrally whereas my wife had hers done by the GP. Now it is simpler and my GP does the medical which is the same as my wife's.
I do need the higher groups 'cos I have a 110 land rover with a 2 ton trailer and a tractor with farm bits. Oh and just for fun once they let me drive the local fire engine (without the blue lights on !!)

Edit to say that a BE group gives a car and trailer up to 4250kg providing the trailer doesn't exceed 750 kg gross.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jan 9th 2024 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Hello all,
Hope everyone is well.
Quick question re resident permit/ID card. The one I have is valid for 5 years - does that mean in 5 years, I have to go through all the red tape again - or that it's simply a photo and fingerprint check?
Thank you in advance for your help :-)
I think I've answered my own question from the link here: Permanent Residence in Hungary - FAQ

It states::
For how long a national permanent residence permit is valid? How can it be extended?

The national permanent residence permit affords the right of residence in the territory of Hungary for an indefinite period of time. The validity period of the document is 5 years and is lodged electronically by the third-country national via NDGAP’s electronic procedure initiation platform (Enter Hungary) upon registration on the electronic platform of the immigration authority for procedure initiation. The administrative service fee charged for the procedure for extension of a national permanent residence permit is HUF 20,000, payable by way of electronic payment instrument (bank card).

So it looks like it's not the right of residence that is in question - simply the document needs updating at the end of 5 years.

Unless anyone has any other thoughts on this :-)
Old Feb 15th 2024, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've answered my own question from the link here: Permanent Residence in Hungary - FAQ

It states::
For how long a national permanent residence permit is valid? How can it be extended?

The national permanent residence permit affords the right of residence in the territory of Hungary for an indefinite period of time. The validity period of the document is 5 years and is lodged electronically by the third-country national via NDGAP’s electronic procedure initiation platform (Enter Hungary) upon registration on the electronic platform of the immigration authority for procedure initiation. The administrative service fee charged for the procedure for extension of a national permanent residence permit is HUF 20,000, payable by way of electronic payment instrument (bank card).

So it looks like it's not the right of residence that is in question - simply the document needs updating at the end of 5 years.

Unless anyone has any other thoughts on this :-)
Received this a couple of days ago, from Helpers Hungary

I wanted to bring to your attention an important update regarding immigration regulations for non-EU citizens in Hungary, effective from January 2024. In case you haven't already heard about it, the Hungarian Government has introduced new residency categories. For the latest and most accurate information, I recommend following our blog: https://helpers.hu/blog/

I want to assure you that you have nothing to worry about, as you currently hold permanent residency. When it's time for renewal, you will seamlessly transition to the new type of permanent residency card, now referred to as the 'national residence card.'
Old Feb 15th 2024, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Finknottle
Received this a couple of days ago, from Helpers Hungary
Phew! I was wondering about that...as it didn't seem to make any sense. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Phew! I was wondering about that...as it didn't seem to make any sense. Thanks for sharing.
I must admit that I did smile at the word "seamlessly"!