Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Bath Room Electrical Sockets

Bath Room Electrical Sockets

Old Feb 21st 2024, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bath Room Electrical Sockets

What is the maximum wattage electrical sockets in bathrooms can handle? I'm looking to add a Hot/Warm air blower heater, probably around 500 Watts, maybe 1,000 Watts if possible, to the bathroom for those days when the CH is not being used, I.e. summer and it's cold in the mornings or evenings and not worth switching on the CH to warm the whole house up!
It won't be on for long, just minimal time in the bathmroom.

Or just I just forget it, not be a wimp and man up? 😁
Old Feb 21st 2024, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bath Room Electrical Sockets

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What is the maximum wattage electrical sockets in bathrooms can handle? I'm looking to add a Hot/Warm air blower heater, probably around 500 Watts, maybe 1,000 Watts if possible, to the bathroom for those days when the CH is not being used, I.e. summer and it's cold in the mornings or evenings and not worth switching on the CH to warm the whole house up!
It won't be on for long, just minimal time in the bathroom.
The socket itself will be rated for 16 A about 3600 Watts, the fuse (or circuit breaker) in the fuse box will be the determining factor which will depend upon the wiring in the house but I would expect that to be 16 A as well.
But
Using portable electrical items such as fan heaters is not recommended and in any event the heater should have the appropriate IP rating, minimum IP44 or better IP65.

A better option would be to install a wall mounted fan heater or IR heater designed for a bathroom and operated by a pull cord.

Or just I just forget it, not be a wimp and man up? 😁
The cheapest option but SWIMBO might complain eventually.

Old Feb 21st 2024, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The socket itself will be rated for 16 A about 3600 Watts, the fuse (or circuit breaker) in the fuse box will be the determining factor which will depend upon the wiring in the house but I would expect that to be 16 A as well.
But
Using portable electrical items such as fan heaters is not recommended and in any event the heater should have the appropriate IP rating, minimum IP44 or better IP65.

A better option would be to install a wall mounted fan heater or IR heater designed for a bathroom and operated by a pull cord.

The cheapest option but SWIMBO might complain eventually.
By Hot/Warm air blower heater I meant as you described "wall mounted fan heater". I will have a look at IR heater for bathroom. Can this be plugged into an existing socket?

What the heck does 'SWIMBO' mean?

"Man up" .... When I was doing a sailing course I had to, with another guy in our dinghy, upright it after capsizing .... this was in early April and the sea was very cold .... had to do it twice so the other guy could upright the dinghy and pull me in as I did for him the first time. If I can survive that I can survive anything!!!
Old Feb 21st 2024, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

By Hot/Warm air blower heater I meant as you described "wall mounted fan heater". I will have a look at IR heater for bathroom. Can this be plugged into an existing socket?

"Man up" .... When I was doing a sailing course I had to, with another guy in our dinghy, upright it after capsizing .... this was in early April and the sea was very cold .... had to do it twice so the other guy could upright the dinghy and pull me in as I did for him the first time. If I can survive that I can survive anything!!!
Except a mains current running through your bath (with you in it). Still, at least cold won't be an issue!
Old Feb 21st 2024, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Finknottle
Except a mains current running through your bath (with you in it). Still, at least cold won't be an issue!
There's no bath in the bathroom. Only a shower.
Old Feb 21st 2024, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Both can be plugged into a socket, power limited by the capability of the circuit but best to leave it permanently plugged in or only plug in/out when dry before using the shower. Note an IR heater may be better because moving air (fan heater) will evaporate water quicker and this can give the feeling of a cold draft even if the air is warmed whereas IR heaters do not heat the air but heat what the infrared radiation touches so they are "line of sight" heaters so positioning will be important.

SWMBO means "she who must be obeyed. AKA the wife!!
Old Feb 21st 2024, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Both can be plugged into a socket, power limited by the capability of the circuit but best to leave it permanently plugged in or only plug in/out when dry before using the shower. Note an IR heater may be better because moving air (fan heater) will evaporate water quicker and this can give the feeling of a cold draft even if the air is warmed whereas IR heaters do not heat the air but heat what the infrared radiation touches so they are "line of sight" heaters so positioning will be important.

And SWIMBO means "she who instantly must be obeyed"!
Old Feb 21st 2024, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some nice IR panels specifically designed for the bathroom.
Some are wall mounted, others ceiling mounted.

https://eurom.nl/en/

This one is from the company EUROM. (Glass wall panel heater with WiFi control)

Old Feb 22nd 2024, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, I didn't tell the truth .... we have had a wet room installed in an unused space in our garage. Our previous car, Suzuki SX4 S-Cross was too long in fit in our garage, partly due to a waste pipe which prevented maneuvering the car into the mentioned unused space! On top of this there's no crossover for access to the garage. As our new car is bigger than the Suzuki it's out of the question to think about having a crossover.
SWMBO - the wet room tiles had to be neutral coloured ... and I put my foot down! Simple reason being there was no way I'd accept the wet room tiles being more inclined to 'SWMBO', especially as I'd be using it more than 'SWMBO'! I am the main dog walker so after a muddy dog walk the wet room via garage door is where I'd head to to get out of my muddy boots and clothes, then give the dogs a good shower before they enter the house! The current situation is I avoid muddy dog walks because they'd only leave a trail of muddy dog paws, walls and radiators would have mud splattered from wagged tails! Suffice to say SWMBO has free reign for our updated bathroom. I'm not going to interfere ... except for the shower whereby I want an overhead shower with additional separate shower hose ..... I'm sure you know what I mean.

Last edited by FenTiger; Feb 22nd 2024 at 6:55 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2024, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I've looked at infrared bathroom heaters and most they are either 60cm x 60cm or 30cm x 90cm. Neither lengths seem suitable. One big issue is the length of the electricity cable which are usually 1.5m long and on the right of the infrared heater. If on the left they'd be the perfect length. Looks like the best option would be a wall fan heater.
Still more to be done before completion.