Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

No snow this Xmas/ New Year

No snow this Xmas/ New Year

Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No snow this Xmas/ New Year

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
Don't entirely agree with the skill of the driver bit. In our village, absolutely everybody AFAIK fits winter tyres - it's in the hills and always gets a big snowfall sooner or later. The village is too poor to make much attempt at snow-clearing. Yet nobody gets stuck, because of those winter tyres. Good drivers, bad drivers, they all manage fine because of the superior winter/ snow grip. My wife is a bit of a panicker in the snow (and she's not actually that brilliant a driver) - but she copes fine with it all. And the village is pretty hilly!
Hmmm, try an MX5 (standard tyres) on an untreated 1:7 downhill!
Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:48 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Hmmm, try an MX5 (standard tyres) on an untreated 1:7 downhill!
Oh I'm not dissing skilful drivers

Just that winter tyres largely remove the need for special skill. I don't think Brits who have never used winter tyres actually appreciate how much winter tyres change everything when you're driving in snow. They probably think: oh, winter tyres obviously help - but I'll still have to be really careful because it's (gulp) 10cm of snow!

Not really so IMV, I think winter tyres just normalise driving in snow, of course you bear in mind the conditions but they are so much superior to normal or all terrain tyres (in the snow) that even average drivers should have nothing to fear.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm not dissing skilful drivers

Just that winter tyres largely remove the need for special skill. I don't think Brits who have never used winter tyres actually appreciate how much winter tyres change everything when you're driving in snow. They probably think: oh, winter tyres obviously help - but I'll still have to be really careful because it's (gulp) 10cm of snow!

Not really so IMV, I think winter tyres just normalise driving in snow, of course you bear in mind the conditions but they are so much superior to normal or all terrain tyres (in the snow) that even average drivers should have nothing to fear.
I am sure you are right (about the tyres). Never driven on winter tyres myself (no car here in Budapest).
Old Dec 15th 2018, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

The funniest bit of this story is the colleague, due on a late shift, who rang me to ask about conditions. I said you will be ok, you've got 4 wheel drive (Audi TT). He said, yes, but it's not a proper 4 x 4! Anyway he made it to work ok, only to get stuck on a 30cm hillock in the car park, caused where snow had been cleared. Oh did we laugh!
Old Dec 15th 2018, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Expatrick thats what I mean. A smart driver wil have the right tyres but given the situation to get an MX5 through those conditions without ideal tyres shows that it is ultimately the driver. thats at least as crucial. Im sure the assistant in the 4+4 who didnt make it now realises that.
When I was learning to drive in Scotland (40 years agő) I was taken to a large empty snow filled carpark and spent an hour slithering skidding and throwing the car about to get the feel for it till I felt more comfortable and confident. Driven more in sand etc since thenwhich is a bit different but still ueefull practice
Old Dec 15th 2018, 2:46 pm
Banned

Unless you never got up close & personal with a winter tyre, this is why they work better than ordinary tyres/ all terrain tyres on a 4X4

[Tread design specifically optimized for maximium traction in low temperature ice and snow conditions The aggressive deep directional tread enhances the tyres ability to dig through snow. The deep transverse grooves combined with the strong, arrow-like directional tread and polished main grooves effectively remove water and slush. They are very effective at preventing treacherous slush-planing and aquaplaning.
The many fine cuts, sipes, in the tread blocks enhance flexibility and increase the number of biting edges to grip packed snow. Nokian ‘pump siping’ improves the grip on wet ice and boost the functionality of the sipes under the most slippery conditions and have excellent self cleaning characteristics in wet snow and slush to prevent slush-planing. The 3D Lock Sipes on SUV tyres differ from straight sipes in that they support the tread block even as the sipe opens and they improve the handling of the tyre especially when cornering.
Polished grooves Together with the deep transverse grooves and the strong, arrow-like tread pattern, the polished grooves effectively remove water and slush from the surface of the tyre. They are effective at preventing treacherous slush-planing and aquaplaning. Snow, slush and water flow efficiently off the polished grooves under the tyre.]
Old Dec 15th 2018, 2:53 pm
Banned

And that's why I'm pretty confident my Quatracs (mentioned above) will perform well in the snow - they're all terrain but have the proper snow tyre tread (in part)

Old Dec 15th 2018, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Got mid range winters on mine winter/summer no probs. If weather conditions are quite extreme then we dont go out as we look to forecasts, stock up and enjoy. Life can be easy or hard.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 10:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Stegy
Yes Expatrick thats what I mean. A smart driver wil have the right tyres but given the situation to get an MX5 through those conditions without ideal tyres shows that it is ultimately the driver. thats at least as crucial. Im sure the assistant in the 4+4 who didnt make it now realises that.
When I was learning to drive in Scotland (40 years agő) I was taken to a large empty snow filled carpark and spent an hour slithering skidding and throwing the car about to get the feel for it till I felt more comfortable and confident. Driven more in sand etc since thenwhich is a bit different but still ueefull practice
Yes but you never actually drove on winter tyres?
Old Dec 16th 2018, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK busses don't fit winter tyres
Old Dec 16th 2018, 10:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
AFAIK busses don't fit winter tyres
There's no legal requirement to fit winter tyres in Hungary, unlike many surrounding countries. So if coaches can cope well in snow without them - Hungary isn't exactly mountainous and a heavier, longer vehicle will naturally drive better than cars in snow - then that wouldn't surprise me.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 5:58 pm
Banned

Looks like we're up to 8C this weekend
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, here near Hévíz all the snow has melted ...
We're happy, don't like it below freezing point at all!
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Looks like we're up to 8C this weekend
& the little bit of snow promised for Xmas day is now predicted as rain!
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:49 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the snow we had here is still on the ground, never made it about freezing here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.