New members

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

TerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the rough
Default New members

Hi, apologies if this is posted in wrong place !!
We are Terry and Brigitta, (one of us is Hungarian !)
We are to be married in Zalaszentmihaly this year, although we live in the uk at present. We are renovating a property in the village of Bucsuta, Zala.
Over the next couple of years we will be spending more and more time there, when the house is complete and judging our timings carefully, will be relocating there.
Would be good to start getting to know some of you during the process, in the hope that we can offer/obtain help with day to day stuff.
We look forward to making your acquaintance.

Terry and Brigi
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New members

Hi Terry and welcome to the BE forums.

There aren't many Brits in your area, we have a few clients nearby but most are holiday home owners.

Good luck with the wedding and hope it works out for you
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I looked at a house in that village myself, might even have been the same one! It is always a big help when one of you speaks the language. Are you doing work on the house yourselves or using tradesmen? It can be difficult if you are not around to project manage the work.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that one, lovely setting but the foundations were very close to the drop in the land!
There was another we looked at there a year or so ago but it was like others we have seen in the village and had damp problems due to being low lying. Lovely forests around it though with lots of mushrooms!
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

TerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the rough

Hi both, thanks for the welcome and support.
The house we are renovating is a 2 bed farmhouse with outbuildings and an acre of land. Bit of damp, partly because of construction and lack of DPC, more so as uninhabited for 10 years. In good condition generally, just done total rewire. Trying to get contractors in to sort DPC re-render and re-plaster. Couple of doors, half dozen windows, wetroom floor, insulated concrete floors etc ( always seems more when i list them ) Have been in domestic plumbing and heating for 20 years or so, so hoping to do some of that ourselves, regulations permitting.

Have looked into a couple of properties on RH company websites, myself and my father looking into 3 or 4 holiday let houses

Visiting in March again, go through works with potential contractors, pay deposits for wedding etc.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TerryandBrigi
What is the construction of your farm house?

Doing your own plumbing should not be a problem, until you come to get a gas boiler fitted, then like the UK you will need a registered gas fitter. I would advise getting a fitter first and agreeing that you will do all up to the boiler then get him to fit the boiler.

Having done holiday lets for some years ourselves I would advise checking the market before buying properties. The tourist season is fairly short here (we found basically limited to school holidays) There is some discussion on this site so worth doing a search.

I have a Hungarian wife - it makes the language issues much easier - and me a bit lazy!!!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Haha, sounds like we have a few things in common then.

I get very lazy when I am there, Brigi ends up doing all the talking and I throw in the odd "persze", "Igen", "koszi" (You know !!)

The idea was to do all the installation work on plumbing and heating myself, I am aware of boiler installer issues, but thanks for confirming.

Holiday let properties locations is not so much about high yearly returns and prime destinations. We are from Gloucestershire and keen on fishing and hunting. My father in particular is keen to pick up a property or two near fishing havens and then catering for a specific market.
More a case of long term investment than earning a living.

Unfortunately I will have to work for some time til pensions, so either self employed building maintenance, plumbing and heating, or investment dependant, landlord/caretaker.

Good news is Brigi is a little younger so she could work and keep me in the manner I deserve.....
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerryandBrigi

Good news is Brigi is a little younger so she could work and keep me in the manner I deserve.....
Great Master plan!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

I thought so !

Hopefully give me more time to do important stuff......if I can think of any
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerryandBrigi
Haha, sounds like we have a few things in common then.

I get very lazy when I am there, Brigi ends up doing all the talking and I throw in the odd "persze", "Igen", "koszi" (You know !!)

The idea was to do all the installation work on plumbing and heating myself, I am aware of boiler installer issues, but thanks for confirming.

Holiday let properties locations is not so much about high yearly returns and prime destinations. We are from Gloucestershire and keen on fishing and hunting. My father in particular is keen to pick up a property or two near fishing havens and then catering for a specific market.
More a case of long term investment than earning a living.

Unfortunately I will have to work for some time til pensions, so either self employed building maintenance, plumbing and heating, or investment dependant, landlord/caretaker.

You only need to speak one word .... 'Palinka' and you're every bodies friend!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Terry and Brigitta,
I'm English and my wife is Hungarian, living in the UK. Since being together I've been visiting her family every year and they sometimes come over to the UK. Reason for the latter is differences of pay. The nephews have now all become adults so they are not so keen to come over with Mummy and Daddy! Our most frequent visitor is the brother-in-law. Last time he came, April 2014, he brought over his brother and two of their fishing farm friends. I'm not going to mention the state they were in when they came through customs ......
My wife's family are from Miskolc, although they've lived in Malyi for some time now.
I can't wait to finally retire and move over here (Hungary) to live.
Good luck.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Same sort of story then, Cool.

Brigi's family all herald from Keskemet area and Szabadszallas. This, in part, is the reason we are keeping a little distance to our home

Not gonna wait for retirement myself, but still looking forward to the permanent switch. All depends how finances, additional properties go etc.

In an ideal world would love to be set up and living the "dream" in 2 years, if not and have to be realistic, probably more like 5

Pleasure to meet you anyway, good luck to you in your plans too.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Terry and Brigi

We come from Bristol, not far from you. We have been living in Hungary for two years now. We too decided not to wait for retirement, we are in our early 50's. Life is too short sometimes and there is a danger that if you wait too long then things can get in the way. I had several health scares and decided not to wait any longer. After all what is the worst that can happen....
I am sure you will have a fab time here. Good luck for the future.
By the way I teach part time in a local school so I expect lots of hungarians will be growing up with bristolian accents.
Cathy
Old Feb 5th 2015, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Totally agree, life too short !
My parents both had cancer in their early 60s, only one surviving and hoping to reach 70s, although thats only next year !!
Ideally love to make the jump sooner rather than later, good job I have the brains of the outfit to advise safer options and planning ahead.

Making Brisols of the local children, will you guys stop at nothing to recruit a few fans for City or Rovers ?

Nice to hear from you; and to know others make it work.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

kohoutek is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Forum, plenty of great topics and a great learning tool.

Michael/Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.