Mobile Phones

Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mobile Phones

Hello there,

Apologies if this has been asked before, please repost to the appropriate thread if it has...

I am pleased to say that we have had an offer on our UK property so all things being equal we will be moving in June as planned

What do people do about mobile phones. Do you take your UK phone and use PAYG in Hungary. Is this difficult to do - I assume not.

All advices welcome

Many thanks
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:21 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones

You can get a Hungarian Sim card but you need Hungarian Residents card to get them. Obviously much cheaper for local calls. UK mobiles work but watch out for the roaming charges.

Before you come, I recommend you get your UK mobile "unlocked" so it accepts any Sim card.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

paulette is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are coming to Hungary to look round end of March. Can we like Dubai, purchase a temporary sim card say for a few weeks just so we have contact with the outside world? Replies welcome
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:16 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulette
Hi we are coming to Hungary to look round end of March. Can we like Dubai, purchase a temporary sim card say for a few weeks just so we have contact with the outside world? Replies welcome
I've not seen any, I bought my first sim card off a Hungarian neighbour.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polgari, it used to be that you required a residence card or utility bill but not so now. Just visit any T-home shop or mobile phone shop - or even certain garages. Some might ask for your passport or proof of id but most don't even bother with that now.

The only thing I haven't been able to do is get a PAYG with internet but I think that might be the phone????

As John said, make sure you get your phone unlocked before coming.

It is expensive to use roaming here and phones are not as cheap as in the UK.

Good luck, bet your getting excited now
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

rdslack will become famous soon enoughrdslack will become famous soon enough

You can buy PAYG sim cards without any real difficulties and you don't need residence card etc, or even a Hungarian address

My first sim was with Pannon which you can just buy in Tesco or other shops for a couple of pounds. You then phone to register and have press a number to speak to someone in English. The phone then works immediately but they send a code your address which has to be in Hungary and you have a few months to type this in to your phone otherwise they deactivate it. Which I unfortunately missed...

Vodafone was a lot easier. They have a number of shops with English speaking staff, but in shops that don't have them theres a button to speak to someone in different languages. You just go in with a copy of your passport and can purchase it (again the sim cards just a few pounds). They set it up for you and can set the menus and text messages from them (eg when you top up to English).

If you need to phone them they speak basic English and normally arrange for someone to phone back in a few minutes.

You can top up the phone at most ATMs in Hungary by just typing in your phone number.

I also pay a monthly fee when I'm in Hungary to get cheaper internet on the phone, you can activate and deactivate it at any time by sending a text message and it costs something like 3000 per month ft for 1gb data or 5500 for 5gb (I think). I normally have difficulty using 1gb per month even when Video skype-ing from the phone quite frequently.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Brilliant and really useful information thank you!

Yes I am getting excited, but it varies between terrified and calm
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:29 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks rdslack, invaluable advice

Originally Posted by rdslack
You can buy PAYG sim cards without any real difficulties and you don't need residence card etc, or even a Hungarian address

My first sim was with Pannon which you can just buy in Tesco or other shops for a couple of pounds. You then phone to register and have press a number to speak to someone in English. The phone then works immediately but they send a code your address which has to be in Hungary and you have a few months to type this in to your phone otherwise they deactivate it. Which I unfortunately missed...

Vodafone was a lot easier. They have a number of shops with English speaking staff, but in shops that don't have them theres a button to speak to someone in different languages. You just go in with a copy of your passport and can purchase it (again the sim cards just a few pounds). They set it up for you and can set the menus and text messages from them (eg when you top up to English).

If you need to phone them they speak basic English and normally arrange for someone to phone back in a few minutes.

You can top up the phone at most ATMs in Hungary by just typing in your phone number.

I also pay a monthly fee when I'm in Hungary to get cheaper internet on the phone, you can activate and deactivate it at any time by sending a text message and it costs something like 3000 per month ft for 1gb data or 5500 for 5gb (I think). I normally have difficulty using 1gb per month even when Video skype-ing from the phone quite frequently.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I got my T Mobile sim card in the Tesco building in Zalaegerszeg. I found there was often no signal in rural areas and the calls seemed much more expensive than in UK. Topping up 3000 forints only seemed to give me 4 or 5 calls lasting perhaps 5 minutes each.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

You should check your plan as most domino plans should give you, on average (a mix of t-mobile, other network and landline calls), 100 minutes - could be your on the Domino7 plan - though even then you would still get 33 minutes on the highest per-minute charge.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what package it is as it does not have a name like those listed on the website, just Domino 2700 Ft.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

It should have been on the instruction pack that came with the sim - if you got one. It does sound as though you have the 7 as it is really the only one which would cost that much and the calls would have to have been during peak time. Probably best to get a different sim when you come back over.