Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

I know I am completely mad but...

I know I am completely mad but...

Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know I am completely mad but...

Originally Posted by jetblackonetenth
Thanks for all the help, good news is

'Based on the information you provided you are most probably a Hungarian citizen by birth it needs to be verified only. As part of this procedure the Hungarian Authorities need to register your birth and marriage in the Hungarian system. Considering that your children are over 18 years they can start their own procedures if they wish.'

So I am booking an appointment to go to London

Should have done it ages ago!

Went to see the house again yesterday as I was in Hungary/Slovakia for a long weekend and I cannot wait to get there!

The only thing to decide is

Considering that your father’s surname is ’Zsüle’ in the Hungarian Registry system, that is why your surname can be registered as ’Zsüle’ as well, unless you would like to start a name changing procedure together the verification procedure. Please let me draw your attention thet if your surname will be registered as ’Zsüle’ this surname will appear in your Hungarian passport as well. In thais case later when you would like to apply for a new British passport itmight cause a problem. However this is your decision. I kindly ask you to let me know if you would like to start a name changing procedure and I will give you further information.

can anybody shed a light on what the problem might be when I renew my English passport if I use my Hungarian name for my Hungarian citizenship?
Your names need to match. You can’t have a foreign passport in another name. What is your surname as it appears on your birth certificate and current British passport?
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your names need to match. You can’t have a foreign passport in another name. What is your surname as it appears on your birth certificate and current British passport?
My birth certificate surname is Zsüle my surname was changed by deed pole by my father when I was about 7
my English surname is what is on my current U.K. passport
Old Mar 12th 2019, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your names need to match. You can’t have a foreign passport in another name.
Why not, out of interest?

My understanding is that you can - although I'd recommend avoiding it if at all possible.

Old Mar 12th 2019, 3:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

My birth certificate surname is Zsüle my surname was changed by deed pole by my father when I was about 7
my English surname is what is on my current U.K. passport
To a slightly different spelling or something completely different?

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Why not, out of interest?

My understanding is that you can - although I'd recommend avoiding it if at all possible.
Many reasons, but you wouldn’t be caught on a ‘no fly’ list for one. It’s why HMPO asks for a copy of any foreign passport when you make an application.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Many reasons, but you wouldn’t be caught on a ‘no fly’ list for one. It’s why HMPO asks for a copy of any foreign passport when you make an application.
I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I thought you were saying it wasn't possible to have passports from different countries in different names, or that it was per se illegal.

I agree, having two passports in two different names can cause problems when travelling.

The easiest solution may be for the OP to revert to his(?) birth name in the UK, once again by deed poll, and then to apply for a new British passport.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest solution may be for the OP to revert to his(?) birth name in the UK, once again by deed poll, and then to apply for a new British passport.

I think this maybe the sensible solution,
I have only just renewed my UK passport, do you think It is important change my English surname sooner rather than later or could it wait?
Old Mar 13th 2019, 2:07 am

I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I thought you were saying it wasn't possible to have passports from different countries in different names, or that it was per se illegal.

I agree, having two passports in two different names can cause problems when travelling.

I was. HMPO won’t issue you a British passport in a name that differs from your name on a foreign passport.

I think this maybe the sensible solution,
I have only just renewed my UK passport, do you think It is important change my English surname sooner rather than later or could it wait?
If you are happy to revert to your birth name then you can do so by Deed Poll which will allow you to change your British passport which will then match your new Hungarian passport.

Given that your Hungarian surname uses a diacritical character I would wait until you receive your Hungarian passport before applying for your new British passport so you can use the characters from your Hungarian passport’s MRZ to ensure the spelling will be consistent on your British passport, i.e. Zsüle vs. Zsuele, since you cannot have diacritical characters on British passports.

You shouldn’t wait longer than this however. You will also need to update every other piece of ID such as your driving licence and update your name with various institutions like your bank, utilities, council, etc..

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 13th 2019 at 2:10 am.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has dual nationality and her UK passport has her given names spelt in English and includes a middle name and her Hungarian passport uses the Hungarian spelling and is without the middle given name. Family name is the same in both cases. This has never causes any issues. But does a different spelling for the same name count as a different name ??
Old Mar 13th 2019, 9:09 am
Account Closed

I was. HMPO won’t issue you a British passport in a name that differs from your name on a foreign passport.
OK, I see your point. You're talking about the very specific case of renewing a British passport.

I was thinking more generally. For example, if you're a joint UK-foreign national, you can change your name (e.g. by marriage) and renew your "foreign" passport without the UK authorities knowing. At that point, you have two passports in different names, and (until you renew your British passport, and depending on what you do with the other one), the UK authorities have no way of knowing this. (It's just a technicality and not relevant to this discussion, obviously.)
Old Mar 13th 2019, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Now my post count is sufficient I thought I ought to post a couple of pictures of the house

Have lots of plans, but first priority is to fit an inside bathroom, not that it bothers me but my 80yr old mum might find it difficult making her way into the yard at night.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:14 am

OK, I see your point. You're talking about the very specific case of renewing a British passport.

I was thinking more generally. For example, if you're a joint UK-foreign national, you can change your name (e.g. by marriage) and renew your "foreign" passport without the UK authorities knowing. At that point, you have two passports in different names, and (until you renew your British passport, and depending on what you do with the other one), the UK authorities have no way of knowing this. (It's just a technicality and not relevant to this discussion, obviously.)
Sure, that’s possible, but it will catch up with you eventually unless you intentionally mislead HMPO.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Szuper.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point

Szia! I have been a lurker on here for quite a while and thought it was about time I contributed a bit more. Firstly, congratulations & hope your move goes well. I am also planning a move to Hungary with the wife this year in the hope of a more relaxed lifestyle (though this probably won't happen). Nice house, BTW. We are looking in a totally different area to you though (Zala county) and have found a lovely house in Lovaszi that will need updating, but like you I intend to do as much as is possible myself. I have no links to Hungary, so crossing my fingers that we will be accepted there. My wife has an Irish passport, so hoping Brexit won't be much of an issue. Exciting times.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Don't things move quickly, despite me thinking that it would take a while to sell our English house it just sold within 3 days of it going on the market. Hopefully the solicitors all get their fingers out and we have a quick completion date. The chain is very small the people buying our house (who happen to live round the corner) are selling theirs to a first time buyer and both if them have mortgages in place.
We had planned to go on holiday to the Hungarian house for the last 2 weeks in April as my wife booked holiday from work and we still will but it maybe that when we get back she will hand her notice in and we may be in Hungary permanently by the end of May. Very exciting times ahead.
Thanks people, the information here is invaluable and I will be starting to ask more questions now I'm nearly there.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkyP
. We are looking in a totally different area to you though (Zala county) and have found a lovely house in Lovaszi
​​​​​​​Very very near to where I live … nice area and Lenti is a lovely little town with really friendly people !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.