Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

I know I am completely mad but...

I know I am completely mad but...

Old Feb 28th 2019, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default I know I am completely mad but...

I have just bought a house in Hungary

I know it's a strange first post but got to start somewhere.

A bit of background, my late father left Hungary in 1956 (he was a naughty boy ) and came to England and married my English mother, as he thought he would never be able to go back he did not teach us children Hungarian. He first went back to visit in 1977 I have been going there since then every 2-3 years maybe more sometimes. I have relatives 20km south of Budapest and my brother has a holiday home in the same village as them.
I am 52 and my wife is 49, my mother lives with us. I have my own business but is just me now (used to employ 8 people) and I have no passion for it anymore, my wife is a home carer - long hours for low pay.
We are selling our house to pay off the remaining mortgage and give us some money to live on for a few years and are moving to our new house in Hungary.
The house is in the north very near the Slovakian border in a very small village called Zabar. We fell in love with the house and the views and are looking forward to the relaxed quiet village life. The house needs modernising and some alterations but is structurally sound. It is my plan to do as much of the work myself (I can do most things) over a period of 2+ years.
I can speak enough Hungarian to 'get by;, so I need to get better, which hopefully by being there all the time will help this.
I intend to apply for citizenship when my language skills are good enough, I also will apply for a residence visa.

I trust you agree I am insane.

Hello everyone
Old Feb 28th 2019, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know I am completely mad but...

Szia, jó napot!

Insane? Absolutely not. Doubtless others with experience of renovating rural houses will be along to give some sound advice (I live in Budapest) but I think you are making a good move!

Welcome - & enjoy Hungary!

Minden jót!
Old Feb 28th 2019, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetblackonetenth

I know it's a strange first post but got to start somewhere.

A bit of background, my late father left Hungary in 1956 (he was a naughty boy ) and came to England and married my English mother, as he thought he would never be able to go back he did not teach us children Hungarian. He first went back to visit in 1977 I have been going there since then every 2-3 years maybe more sometimes. I have relatives 20km south of Budapest and my brother has a holiday home in the same village as them.
I am 52 and my wife is 49, my mother lives with us. I have my own business but is just me now (used to employ 8 people) and I have no passion for it anymore, my wife is a home carer - long hours for low pay.
We are selling our house to pay off the remaining mortgage and give us some money to live on for a few years and are moving to our new house in Hungary.
The house is in the north very near the Slovakian border in a very small village called Zabar. We fell in love with the house and the views and are looking forward to the relaxed quiet village life. The house needs modernising and some alterations but is structurally sound. It is my plan to do as much of the work myself (I can do most things) over a period of 2+ years.
I can speak enough Hungarian to 'get by;, so I need to get better, which hopefully by being there all the time will help this.
I intend to apply for citizenship when my language skills are good enough, I also will apply for a residence visa.
Hello everyone
I don't know what research you have done regarding citizenship - but my understanding is that you would be entitled now with minimum formalities because your father was Hungarian (evidence of his 'naughtiness' may help). Once you are a Hungarian citizen you will have dependant relatives (is your mother moving with you?) My 2 kids (born in England) got citizenship based on my wife's' Hungarian citizenship, (her family went out in '56) Their births were registered at the Hungarian Embassy in London at the time, 30+ years ago.

Residency at the moment is a bit fraught due to the Brexit mess. It depends upon the date of leaving + any deal as to which type of residency you can apply for - EU citizen or 3rd country citizen. Straight into citizenship might be an (easier) option, Have you spoken to the Hungarian Embassy in London about this? When we moved here (1994) we did all the paperwork through the embassy in London first so that when we arrived it was all a done deal.

Of course if you move post Brexit there my be customs duty to pay on anything you bring with you. We had this issue as Hungary was not in the EU then but as a returning Hungarian (for my wife) and me as a 'settler' we had different rules to other people coming in, but that was then and what happens after Brexit (when?) is anyone's guess.

I trust you agree I am insane.
Yup - totally, welcome to the club!!
Old Feb 28th 2019, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

jetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond reputejetblackonetenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,
I have looked at citizenship and am hoping to use the simplified naturalization process, I still think my language skills are not enough yet. Is is best to do this in the UK or wait till I get there?. possibly (hopefully)May.
My mother will be coming with us, so will be a dependent relative.

I have been watching all to do with the B word and hoping that there is either a deal or a delay to enable me enough time to sort things.
I had not considered import customs duty if 'no deal'

I am really looking forward to moving, it is hard to stay focused on work at the moment. I am seeing the house again next Monday when I am over in Slovakia and Hungary with my son who races radio controlled cars.
We have a 2 week holiday planned with my wife for middle of April when we take possession of the house and we will move some stuff in then,

Exciting times ahead.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,
I have looked at citizenship and am hoping to use the simplified naturalization process, I still think my language skills are not enough yet. Is is best to do this in the UK or wait till I get there?. possibly (hopefully)May.
Exciting times ahead.
Why not ask the Embassy how long it will take if you do it from London (but I don't know what language skills you will need, possibly different from 'ordinary' citizenship applications - do you know? - ask the Embassy). There may be time to get it done from the UK and it will be one less thing to sort when you get here - and you will have enough to sort out here anyway.

Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You should already be a Hungarian citizen. It should just be a matter of registering your parent’s marriage, your birth and your own marriage with the Hungarian authorities. I would concur with Peter’s comments regarding contacting the Hungarian Embassy in London. They are very helpful.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are insane!
Congratulations on your decision to move to Hungary. I'm not far behind. Just over eight months to retiring. Our move will be dependent on the Brexit deal. I shouldn't have any problems moving to Hungary because my wife is Hungarian and I've been visiting since 2002 nearly every year, sometimes twice. I can understand you falling in love with your new house in Hungary.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 4:42 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

The house is in the north very near the Slovakian border in a very small village called Zabar.
That's a nice part of Hungary. Eger is on your doorstep so let's hope your wife can drive, here's the deal: you drive there, she drives back - 50:50, win:win I call it
https://tinyurl.com/yywsoq2g

You're spoilt for National Parks there, I really liked Aggtelek and have been meaning to go back.

Hollókő's close to you as well & gets a lot of praise but left me a bit cold - though the countryside getting there and around it is well worth the trek.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,
I have looked at citizenship and am hoping to use the simplified naturalization process, I still think my language skills are not enough yet. Is is best to do this in the UK or wait till I get there?.
My wife was in the same situation as you. There is no need to speak the language if your parents were/are Hungarian, it is simply a paper exercise which took us around 9 months to a year to complete.

Old Feb 28th 2019, 9:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to British Expats and the Hungary forum.

I must say it all sounds so exciting.

Looking forward to reading more.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
My wife was in the same situation as you. There is no need to speak the language if your parents were/are Hungarian, it is simply a paper exercise which took us around 9 months to a year to complete.
That is good news, I am on the case now

Hollókő looks great, we will be spoil for places to go, I am already planning trips out, I love cycling and it looks like I won't run out of things to do.

just need to find some time to do the work on the house

I love driving and the wife hates it so it works out well, I have driven straight to Hungary with only fuel and toilet stops (at the same time if we could) many times in the past but it takes me a little longer now

Plan on moving our stuff our self in the trusty but old LWB sprinter so will be a few trips before we are done

Old Mar 1st 2019, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Plan on moving our stuff our self in the trusty but old LWB sprinter so will be a few trips before we are done
Using a decent trailer might cut 3 trips down to 2

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

The house is in the north very near the Slovakian border in a very small village called Zabar.
I've just looked at where Zabar is and realised it's not that far from us in Bükkszék
Old Mar 9th 2019, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly sane and rational
Here is my advice - apply to continue paying National Insurance on the basis of being self-employedoverseas when you go. This should entitle you to State Retirement Pension when the time comes !

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

Last edited by scot47; Mar 9th 2019 at 12:45 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help, good news is

'Based on the information you provided you are most probably a Hungarian citizen by birth it needs to be verified only. As part of this procedure the Hungarian Authorities need to register your birth and marriage in the Hungarian system. Considering that your children are over 18 years they can start their own procedures if they wish.'

So I am booking an appointment to go to London

Should have done it ages ago!

Went to see the house again yesterday as I was in Hungary/Slovakia for a long weekend and I cannot wait to get there!

The only thing to decide is

Considering that your father’s surname is ’Zsüle’ in the Hungarian Registry system, that is why your surname can be registered as ’Zsüle’ as well, unless you would like to start a name changing procedure together the verification procedure. Please let me draw your attention thet if your surname will be registered as ’Zsüle’ this surname will appear in your Hungarian passport as well. In thais case later when you would like to apply for a new British passport itmight cause a problem. However this is your decision. I kindly ask you to let me know if you would like to start a name changing procedure and I will give you further information.

can anybody shed a light on what the problem might be when I renew my English passport if I use my Hungarian name for my Hungarian citizenship?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.