Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungary to join Euro in 2030

Hungary to join Euro in 2030

Old Jun 6th 2023, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungary to join Euro in 2030

Hungary Today:

https://hungarytoday.hu/hungary-ready-to-adopt-the-euro-in-2030/
Old Jun 6th 2023, 11:17 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungary to join Euro in 2030

I think joining the Euro is a mistake. It will certainly make Brussels have more control than they should be allowed to have IMHO.
Old Jun 6th 2023, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I think joining the Euro is a mistake. It will certainly make Brussels have more control than they should be allowed to have IMHO.
I'm surprised of this statement because Hungary and EU are not best buddies at the moment.
Old Jun 6th 2023, 4:02 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm surprised of this statement because Hungary and EU are not best buddies at the moment.
I do believe that if Hungary adapts the Euro it will lose more of its sovereignty to Brussels because it will no longer be able to control the Hungarian economy. Plus, the adaption of the Euro will hurt in my opinion the poorest Hungarians and the elderly. Look what happened to Greece's economy and that of Italy when they adapted the Euro. Prices of everything became more expensive. I hope I am wrong but I think Hungary will regret this decision.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I do believe that if Hungary adapts the Euro it will lose more of its sovereignty to Brussels because it will no longer be able to control the Hungarian economy. Plus, the adaption of the Euro will hurt in my opinion the poorest Hungarians and the elderly. Look what happened to Greece's economy and that of Italy when they adapted the Euro. Prices of everything became more expensive. I hope I am wrong but I think Hungary will regret this decision.
I hope the Hungarian government provide advice and financial support for the poorest and elderly if it happens. It's going to be a worrying time for them.
Old Jun 8th 2023, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember before Germany adopted the Euro, I used to import absolutely loads of things from Germany to the UK, the second the Euro was implemented, prices of everything skyrocketed instantly. It must have been very painful for people living in Germany at the time.

The Greeks severely regret joining the Euro, it has given Germany complete control over their economy. They have threatened to leave a few times, but I don't think they are in a position to do so
Old Jun 8th 2023, 1:32 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavierx
I remember before Germany adopted the Euro, I used to import absolutely loads of things from Germany to the UK, the second the Euro was implemented, prices of everything skyrocketed instantly. It must have been very painful for people living in Germany at the time.
That would depend on whether the phenomenon was a general one, whether it was real or perceived and whether it was directly attributable solely to Euro implementation or whether other factors might have driven price inflation in certain sectors or regions.

Stats suggest a negligible or nil overall negative or inflationary impact.

Originally Posted by xavierx
The Greeks severely regret joining the Euro, it has given Germany complete control over their economy. They have threatened to leave a few times, but I don't think they are in a position to do so
There has never been a majority in Greece amongst the general population in favour of leaving the Euro - and, indeed, there is no legal mechanism for doing so. There is one for leaving the EU, of course, but that's even less popular in Greece than ditching the Euro currency. Some minor political parties favour one or both, chiefly the Communist Party and the far right Golden Dawn. None of the major political forces has ever been in favour of either.

Most talk of Greece exiting the EU (or the Euro, despite the impossibility of the latter without the former) was speculation from outside. The only serious plan that was drawn up in preparation for such an event was done in deepest secrecy outside of Greece (by officials from the European Commission, the ECB and the IMF) and without the knowledge or participation of the Greek authorities.
Old Jun 8th 2023, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to get into politics too much but pn prices in the UK ...
I'm German but one of my sisters married a very nice Englishman and lives with him near London as their children do too.
When they heard about Brexit they all looked for their German passports.
Since I realised as a student that English language knowledge is a sine qua non I went there in the early 60s (4 wondeful weeks in Canterbury ...) and as a Science Fiction fan later (when working in IT and making enough money ...) went to London for the newest US books usually twice a year.
Very interesting holidays and met a lot of nice people.
And now re prices and the pound:
At the time of my first visit the pound was worth more than 9 Deutsche Mark (that would correspond to almost 5 €), you still had shillings and a cup of good tea was 9 pence, but now?
I still remember the people in the Forbidden Planet selling US books and having to change the prices regularly. And not too long ago my friend said:
Soon we won't have that work anymore because a pound will be equal to a dollar ...
How could that happen?