Hungarian Roma

Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hungarian Roma

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

We are buying a house in MAGYARKESZI 20 mins south of Balaton does anyone have any knowledge of problems in this village?

I tend to take everyone as I find them and do not prejudge.

We will be living full time in the village so I guess we may not have too much of a problem and fully intend to get "involved" just as soon as we can speak a little bit of Hungarian.

Judy
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy and welcome to the Hungarian forum I hope you will find lots of useful information in the run up to your relocation.

Can I ask you to create a new thread, something along the lines of - Does anybody know the village MAGYARKESZI, just to take it away from the Roma thread as having ethnic minorities (there are many villages, especially near the borders, with large ethnic minorities from neighbouring countries) in a village does not necessarily mean there will be problems in the village and in fact, so I have been informed, crime in some of the more affluent villages is committed by both Hungarian and foreign gangs.

I have some info on your village, though the most up to date can be obtained from your local police station, PM me or email me and I will pass it on.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there and have just read this thread with interest we have a house in Gadany and there is a large Roma population there and although there are some bad i would say 95 % are good people who welcomed me in to their homes cooked for me and offered me the best of what they had to offer which was not a lot...
The people i have met have never crossed my door to steal or cheat from me andhave gone out of their way to welcome me to the villiage ..In september of this year 2012 we will be moving out there full time and I look forward to embracing the villiage life and its population
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:54 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad your experience has been positive but there are issues in Gadany - likewise the village of Keleviz, just before Gadany. Just don't be too trusting till you get to know people well.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not invite any of the Roma in to my home bar one couple who have helped us more than any other in the village Im polite to all but most are kept at arms length and kept at bay with a hello and good bye costs notithing to be polite and after all i have to live in that community
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Can I just point out that Roma are not the only criminals in the villages in Hungary and in the more affluent villages, the gangs are more organised than any Roma I know could ever dream of being - Hungarian, Croatian, Romanian? Who knows.... Sadly, in the poorer villages, it is typically Roma who struggle the most financially though by no means do they all turn to crime. Some villages are worse than other regardless of the ethnicity of the population.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

alima1943 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Polgardi, it may be my scepticism but I have often questioned the "Roma Minority Governments" and wondered if there were a financial incentive for towns and villages to set them up. That said, I have witnessed some which have aided and encouraged Roma culture and integration though many others appear to be in name only. I am sure you will be fine. Not that I know your area but it appears you were lucky and bought in an area which is more affluent than many of the Southern villages. There are particular villages which have issues and they tend to be within a certain area but so as not to upset anyone, I am not going to name them.

It is difficult as it is not Roma nor poverty which create a village or town with issues, more a mix of poverty and the attitude of the people within the village with regards to integration.
Message:- I wish there was some way these villages could be named as now we are very confused as where to buy and where not to buy,but we will be coming for at least a week in the Spring next year, and after research of sorts on the net! have decided maybe to look in the West of the Country or somewhere around Pecs but we do want rural not a town and preferably far enough away from any tourist area so not to be over run with tourists .also are there any particular areas which are a little less cold in the winter and what are the temperatures really like and how long does the really cold weather last.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Alima and welcome to the forum. First of all, the weather - winters do get cold but it is a dry cold unlike the UK. Usually there is a 2-4 week spell where day time temperatures rarely rise above freezing, this can be with or without snow. Temperatures can dip to -20's but only for a few days. November tends to be quite mild, the winter proper doesn't start until December - sometimes not till the 2nd or 3rd week. January and February are the worst months though towards the end of February, you usually experience a few sunny days, come March, it starts to feel more like spring but the evenings will still be cold.
To conclude, it can get very cold, it is a short winter, not usually wet, dry cold unlike the UK, the country doesn't grind to a halt and everything functions as normal.
Hope this helps

Regards villages, I do not feel comfortable naming individual villages and to be honest, though I have personal experience, knowledge of many of the villages - I do not know them all and can only go on statistics, though, where I have gone on statistics for people - it has usually proven true.
What to be careful of is that you don't buy a property based on the proximity to Lake Balaton as a North shore village, 20 minutes from the Lake is very different to a South shore one.
Feel free to contact me if you need information on a particular village/villages and I will do what I can to help.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 10:33 am
Just Joined

sowise is an unknown quantity at this point

Which estate agents are you both referring to ?
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Talking to our 'village bobby' recently he said that the requirement for the unemployed to do community work in order to be eligible for social support has resulted in a drop in theft and petty crime. The reasoning is that the unemployed are occupied and they have some money for wine and fags so no time and less inclination to go thieving.

Now there's a surprise.................not
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Talking to our 'village bobby' recently he said that the requirement for the unemployed to do community work in order to be eligible for social support has resulted in a drop in theft and petty crime. The reasoning is that the unemployed are occupied and they have some money for wine and fags so no time and less inclination to go thieving.

Now there's a surprise.................not
That's good ....
Old Oct 29th 2015, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Spineytoad is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at Rural Hungary and have taken an internet shine to a couple of places - obviously real visits will be undertaken and time to think and research. Thought I would mention the names of a couple of villages in case people had first hand knowledge in advance to give us a feel for a location, from a boots on the ground position. Zala County, Zalaegerszeg, Zalaszántó, Pacsa?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Spiney, I think you're in the wrong thread ...
Maybe it would be better to open your own thread - including a description of what you want. Like "looking for a house in a nice village in Zala county near Zalaegerszeg".

Btw Near Zalaszánto is the Buddhist Stupa and the village is on a main road not too far from Sümeg with its famous castle (and a Tesco and an Interspar)
News from Zalaszanto
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Spineytoad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Sorry Wolfii, should have been more clear, it was with reference to these places being known not spots, bad villages. I have always had a good relationship with UK Roma/Gypsy communities but understand that like many cultures there are bad apples in any of them, get enough bad apples and the barrel is ruined. I am looking forward to finding something rural and mixing in the local communities. Rural because our family has always been semi self sufficient, handy with tools and happy to raise livestock. Currently in the Shetland Islands, so know all about living in remote areas, inhospitable climates, happy to barter etc
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spineytoad, unless the section moderator thinks differently, I would second Wolfi that it's better to start a new discussion. It makes the discussions easier to follow.

I (personally) also find it helpful if people thinking of moving to Hungary outline their plans: whether to live there continually or just for part of the year; permanently (burning bridges to the UK) or with a view to returning; whether they speak any Hungarian, and if not whether they have plans to learn the language, etc.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat0105; Oct 29th 2015 at 10:12 pm. Reason: Spelling, ouch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.