Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How good is yours?

How good is yours?

Old Sep 16th 2018, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Szentgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How good is yours?

ok, so you already know the basics..how did you pick it up? online?
Old Sep 16th 2018, 6:48 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Szentgal
HI All... those of you dont have hungarian wife/husband, how did you/ do you learn hungarian?
Got one

I learned Hungarian before we got together. Got my company to pay for an hour's lesson every morning, so got pretty good in 3 months. Teacher tried to seduce me - I resisted. Bit porky.

But in my early days 1997 in BP (before I met my wife), I had a Hungarian gf. She spoke German but very crap English, well below GCSE/ O level.

With me as a bf she basically got up to highly advanced level in about 3 months, she really put the work in. Probably thought I was a goldmine.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the website you were using? https://www.17-minute-languages.com/...lacement-test/ I didn't get very far.
My wife is Hungarian. We met in the UK. Mostly I've relied on a software package, dictionaries and even a Hungarian dirty swear word book to learn but I haven't looked at any of them for a while, well, two years to be exact. Just felt too knackered in the evenings. Also both my wife and I have differing approaches to learning Hungarian. I prefer a formal setting but my wife prefers an informal setting. My wife actually teaches British Sign Language and has to plan lessons, etc. so this shouldn't be too much work for her. As long as I can learn enough to get by every day that would be good enough for me.
Unfortunately, for me I also have to learn Hungarian Sign Language because most of our friends in Hungary are deaf and sign language users. My HSL is coming along slowly but luckily some of our deaf Hungarian friends have travelled and met deaf people from other countries so we meet halfway using International Sign Language. If we struggle to understand each other one of us whips out a tablet and uses Google Translate ! It's not perfect but okay for short sentences or just a single word. Or call over my wife to translate! I'm more confident of knowing how to use Hungarian Signs than speaking Hungarian words.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

After being here five years I finally decided to get professional lessons, I go to a language school in Veszprem. I have proper workbooks and this is the website where you can buy them www.magyar-ok.hu
i want to get to a level where I can take the citizenship interview which I believe needs to be B2. It certainly is a challenge but is also very interesting.
I also use duolingo but that won’t help you to understand the grammar.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want grammar that is explained in English, you should try the Péter Durst book series - https://nyelvkonyvbolt.hu/en/shop/bo...-with-audio-cd - I found they explained things really well. The key to Hungarian IMHO is to concentrate and master Vowel Harmony and the Personal Pronoun suffixes. After that, learn about the location cases: Ban, Ben, Ról, Ra, On, etc. You will then know who is being spoken about/to, plural, whether something/someone is coming/going, etc.

If you are looking for words, try the 6,000 Words app available on iOS, Windows and Android - Learn Hungarian with FunEasyLearn - Mastering the basics (colours, numbers, etc) will really make the language more understandable and enjoyable.

MagyarOK is also fine, but you need a Hungarian to explain it
Old Sep 19th 2018, 6:52 am
Banned

I've got various Learning Hungarian books but this (obvious) one is the best IMV https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0340562862/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1537339754&sr=8-1&keywords=9780340562864
In fact I just bought a second copy to keep out in Hungary, good material for 'loo reading'!

Shame there's no Rosetta Stone Hungarian course as they are an excellent resource.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 6:53 am
Banned

More here https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...-_-ISBN-_-used
Old Sep 19th 2018, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

This is the best online language website I've found.

https://www.hungarianpod101.com/hung.../09162018?logo
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Straight fail. Then again I am not putting in the time/effort needed. Possibly a pass during choir practice on Friday night up the local.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 2:30 pm
Banned

My second copy of the Teach Yourself Hungarian book arrived - just like new! I don't think the first owner got past page 1 lol
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Szentgal is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for the advise)
Old Oct 1st 2018, 9:29 am
Banned

I got a bit inspired to do some work on my Hungarian, so I bought a couple more books you might be interested in;

1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hungarian-Language-Texts-Agnes-Banos/dp/1530603986/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538385736&sr=8-1&keywords=9781530603985This looks really useful, the parallel texts mean you can work out very quickly what's going on and read whole pages in Hungarian. Level: definitely not so good for beginners, more useful for somebody who already has a grasp of the basics. Ignore the references to Icelandic, just a mistake on the cover.

2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=9780071498029Does what it says on the tin - a reference book/ explanation of verbs & grammar. Could definitely be used by beginners for reference. Very useful for language learners who know the basics.