British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   How good is yours? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/how-good-yours-910068/)

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 6th 2018 3:15 pm

How good is yours?

Taking my cue from a thread on the Italian forum, I wonder how well us expats in Hungary would do at an A2 level language test?

duztee Mar 6th 2018 7:35 pm

Re: How good is yours?

FAIL!!!!!

fidobsa Mar 7th 2018 1:14 pm

Yes, if this test becomes a requirement for staying in Hungary post Brexit I think there will be quite a few deportations!

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 7th 2018 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 12457951)
Yes, if this test becomes a requirement for staying in Hungary post Brexit I think there will be quite a few deportations!

Yes, I suspect this thread will become conspicuous by the lack of responses! :rofl:

wolfi Mar 7th 2018 2:15 pm

I have a very good excuse for my weakness in Hungarian - when I met my partner it was clear that we'd spend a lot of time in Germany - and she would be helpless without German while here near Hévíz you always find someone to speak German ...
So we concentrated on her learning German.

A bit OT:
We also have English/American family and friends so it's always fun talking in three languages when we have visitors here.
Right now we had a friend from the US who needed help with a Hungarian office so I had to translate from English to German and my wife from German to Hungarian (she worked at an office for many years and knows the intricacies ...) and then back the same route - sometimes it took longer than expected to get all the fine details of this "paper war"!

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 7th 2018 2:22 pm

Is that a "no" (to the test) then Wolfi? :lol:

I like to think I might just scrape through, however we started school last week so am hoping for a confident pass in a few months.

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 7th 2018 3:48 pm

Hmmmm, just completed an online assessment, scored 50% so not brilliant and there were several things I had simply not seen before - but was pleased to be rated as "intermediate", maybe a little flattery, to deceive, but quite pleasing all the same as the test was clearly harder than the A2.

PaulinEger Mar 7th 2018 5:01 pm

I have no excuse for not speaking Hungarian after living here for almost 10 years. My wife speaks Hungarian and we could (in theory) practice.....but we forget. As a teacher I have to speak English every day and rarely get the chance to practice my Hungarian, although I can get by in most situations.
I did try and get a small group going but everyone else dropped out before it got off the ground :/
I intend to apply for Hungarian citizenship at some point so I really need to get my finger out :D

wolfi Mar 7th 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12458008)
Is that a "no" (to the test) then Wolfi? :lol:

If you tellme where the test is to be found and give me some nice wine first - then I might try it ... :lol:

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 7th 2018 5:42 pm

Stuff the exams........
Wot counts IMO is being able to hold your own with plumbers and builders and exams don't teach you that !

Oh and sometimes it helps if SWMBO is a translator and interpreter - but it makes you lazy

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 7th 2018 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by PaulinEger (Post 12458149)
I have no excuse for not speaking Hungarian after living here for almost 10 years. My wife speaks Hungarian and we could (in theory) practice.....but we forget. As a teacher I have to speak English every day and rarely get the chance to practice my Hungarian, although I can get by in most situations.
I did try and get a small group going but everyone else dropped out before it got off the ground :/
I intend to apply for Hungarian citizenship at some point so I really need to get my finger out :D

Paul, judging by the pass criteria I reckon you should romp it - the citizenship test however...:lol:

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 7th 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by wolfi (Post 12458164)
If you tellme where the test is to be found and give me some nice wine first - then I might try it ... :lol:

I'll have a look - and throw the challenge at you!

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 7th 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12458172)
Stuff the exams........
Wot counts IMO is being able to hold your own with plumbers and builders and exams don't teach you that !

Oh and sometimes it helps if SWMBO is a translator and interpreter - but it makes you lazy

Absolutely, very true. Living in the city makes you lazy too.

Szentgal Sep 16th 2018 6:08 pm

HI All... those of you dont have hungarian wife/husband, how did you/ do you learn hungarian?

enter Sep 16th 2018 6:13 pm

Not good but, we get by no problems.