Helicopter

Old Jul 4th 2014, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

PRIMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helicopter

Last night around 20.30 we had a helicopter flying over our village very low spraying stuff over the houses, I have seen this before when farmers spray there fields but this was not interested in the fields just was spraying the houses in our village, Anyone have any ideas what it was for ???

Old Jul 4th 2014, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helicopter

I don't know where you are - but a lot of areas around the Balaton (and probably other areas also) spray for mosquitoes, I understand that its biological warfare, they spray a bacteria that is particular to mozzies rather than insecticide. Some areas have also sprayed for wooly moth caterpillar but I've only heard of this over forests
Old Jul 4th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

To kill mosquitoes.
I don't reside in Hungary but have in-laws over there. In the area my in-laws live, Malyi, North Hungary, a small plane sprays the area.
I'm sure you will see more postings here regarding this issue ...... I guess it will be when they come inside for a sneaky palinka!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

PRIMO is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you so much for your reply's, I will be so happy if we can get ridd of them or at least cut them down, This year we seem to have been over loaded with them
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:11 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Some areas have also sprayed for wooly moth caterpillar but I've only heard of this over forests
I didn't realise they were a problem Peter! I've seen quite a few in the garden over the years.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I didn't realise they were a problem Peter! I've seen quite a few in the garden over the years.
The wooly moth caterpillar grows to about 2" plus and is covered with black hairs. These hairs are an irritant and can / will bring up a rash. When the caterpillars are small (1/2" long) they excrete a thread which will enable them to float on the wind and so disperse themselves from the nest site. The quantities will in some years reach plague levels and there can be so many that forests can be denuded of leaves, ditto fruit trees and orchards. The plague years seem to be about 5 to 8 years apart and occasionally there are so many that many die of starvation before maturity because they have eaten all the available leaves. The authorities keep a watch on the numbers and will spray if they think that too much damage will be forecast. They are generally reluctant to spray as they have to use insecticide and this kills all the good guys as well, so it's balancing game to manage the problem.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:57 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

This year we discovered another pest! The box tree caterpillar..... We have a huge box tree, about 10 feet high and 8 in diameter. The whole thing has turned brown and lost all it's leaves, on closer inspection, it's covered in webs which is typical of this caterpillar. Fortunately, there is new growth coming through so hopefully it should recover but it's quite something see and I can only imagine how many of the blighters there were.... These ones are long, black and green.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
This year we discovered another pest! The box tree caterpillar..... We have a huge box tree, about 10 feet high and 8 in diameter. The whole thing has turned brown and lost all it's leaves, on closer inspection, it's covered in webs which is typical of this caterpillar. Fortunately, there is new growth coming through so hopefully it should recover but it's quite something see and I can only imagine how many of the blighters there were.... These ones are long, black and green.
given that the caterpillars can overwinter (in the UK) see https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=760
It may be worth spraying to avoid problems next year, biological control please, or talk to your local forestry office.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks for that Peter, will try and get some nematodes for when I'm next over. We also had a similar thing happen in two different clients gardens last year but didn't know what they were - those bushes were smaller though and I think they were uprooted and burnt.