Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Getting connected

Getting connected

Old May 23rd 2013, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting connected

I could not find the thread about connecting to the mains if you have a cess pit. Anyway, I thought I would post a few photos to show, that even if you do have a long trench to dig, it is achievable and we found the whole process relatively painless. Remember, if you are doing this yourself, you will need to get the pipes etc inspected and signed off before they will connect you. We used professionals...no way we could do all this in under 2 days.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Getting connected

Well, just under 6 months on and have just realised that it is not just our waste which is going down the drain....just received first bill...it would appear that getting connected to the mains is an ideal way to flush your money down the drain too
Old Nov 8th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

As you will probably know the sewage charge is calculated by water in = poo out. So any water that does not go down the drain e.g car washing, garden watering, kids paddling pool etc. is also charged for treatment. It can make a big difference if you get a garden tap with its own meter which will be charged for the water only without the added sewage charge. Otherwise water reuse and rain water harvesting can help but it can be easy to spend more than you save when setting up alternative water systems (that is it could take too many years to recoup the outlay)
Otherwise a lot of older properties have dug wells so it might be worth considering cleaning these to use for non-potable uses

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Nov 8th 2013 at 1:48 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
As you will probably know the sewage charge is calculated by water in = poo out. So any water that does not go down the drain e.g car washing, garden watering, kids paddling pool etc. is also charged for treatment. It can make a big difference if you get a garden tap with its own meter which will be charged for the water only without the added sewage charge. Otherwise water reuse and rain water harvesting can help but it can be easy to spend more than you save when setting up alternative water systems (that is it could take too many years to recoup the outlay)
Otherwise a lot of older properties have dug wells so it might be worth considering cleaning these to use for non-potable uses
Thank you for the info and sound advice Peter. Much appreciated
Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:43 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Well, just under 6 months on and have just realised that it is not just our waste which is going down the drain....just received first bill...it would appear that getting connected to the mains is an ideal way to flush your money down the drain too
It's one of the reasons we don't want to be connected to mains - especially considering we fill the pool every year!

I have heard of some who put a block in the cistern, good idea and another ho flushes once a day - not for me I'm afraid!! Utilise your well (if you have one) as much as possible, especially during the summer.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
It's one of the reasons we don't want to be connected to mains - especially considering we fill the pool every year!

I have heard of some who put a block in the cistern, good idea and another ho flushes once a day - not for me I'm afraid!! Utilise your well (if you have one) as much as possible, especially during the summer.
We have a well so yes, we need to use it...get a pump etc. We are also thinking of making an outside shower, have seen them in other gardens and they look perfect for when the weather is hot
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a pump, try to get a good quality one, as a cheap one might just not do what it says on the box. I bought a cheap submersible that is supposed to be good for 9 metres but it struggles to manage 5 metres. This will be partly due to losses in the long extension cable needed to reach my well, which is typically some distance from the house. I had to bore a hole in the base of the well wall to feed the hose through, as the pump would not manage the extra 3 feet or so to lift water up to the top of the wall.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
If you get a pump, try to get a good quality one, as a cheap one might just not do what it says on the box. I bought a cheap submersible that is supposed to be good for 9 metres but it struggles to manage 5 metres. This will be partly due to losses in the long extension cable needed to reach my well, which is typically some distance from the house. I had to bore a hole in the base of the well wall to feed the hose through, as the pump would not manage the extra 3 feet or so to lift water up to the top of the wall.
Thanks Fid

Out of interest on average, how much do people use each month? Is 8 cubic metres a lot? I know it depends on what the water is used for and what appliances you have, but it does seem quite a lot to me?

Many thanks
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Thanks Fid

Out of interest on average, how much do people use each month? Is 8 cubic metres a lot? I know it depends on what the water is used for and what appliances you have, but it does seem quite a lot to me?

Many thanks
When we came to Hungary we were in a flat for a bit and 5 of us used about 11 m3 per month, (about 70lts/day/person) now on the farm with the veggies and the animals in the summer we can use 3 - 4 m3 a day, so yes usage does depend a lot on lifestyle.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I paid a water bill today and it looks like it is for 3 cubic metres but I've been on my own for that period, it goes up when I have volunteers or other guests. I use the well for watering the garden and most of the building jobs. There is an item on the bill "vizterhelési díj" which I don't understand but it is only 62 Forints so it's probably an adjustment for something. I think they read my meter every month.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your responses. We just checked for a leak...just in case...and will monitor it. Will be interesting to see what next month's bill is.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 11:42 pm
Banned

Crashcage is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just bought a house Zsedeny,and was told i would be connected to mains in 2014.The old owner has 1 more payment to do.this was included in the purchase price.I was also informed by estate agents daughter(she was translator) that when a foreigner pays to have this done the cost triples.
Why is this?

CC
Old Dec 28th 2013, 11:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crashcage
I was also informed by estate agents daughter(she was translator) that when a foreigner pays to have this done the cost triples.
Why is this?

CC
Never heard of this and I know several Brits who have paid for their mains sewage to be connected and they pay exactly the same as the Hungarians. Perhaps she was trying to make out you were saving money due to the owner having paid for it

Or it might be specific to your village

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Dec 28th 2013 at 11:57 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:03 am
Banned

Crashcage is an unknown quantity at this point

I read in another post about some prices for work being higher because of Austrian/German owners paying over the top prices.Sarvar isnt far away and is a hub in the summer,so i'm told,for Austrians/Germans/Czechs maybe this is why.
I did find it strange.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:09 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Crashcage
I read in another post about some prices for work being higher because of Austrian/German owners paying over the top prices.Sarvar isnt far away and is a hub in the summer,so i'm told,for Austrians/Germans/Czechs maybe this is why.
I did find it strange.
Hi, no, the mains sewage is different as it is billed via the mayors office and therefore shouldn't be higher if somebody is foreign. However, some villages might do so inline with higher village tax for non residents but it would be unusual and extremely unfair.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Dec 29th 2013 at 1:32 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.