Fruit Trees

Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:33 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fruit Trees

We have a small plot of land on the hill near our village. We have grapes & some fruit trees. We have apples, apricots & plums of various types. We don't have any peaches but I would like to put some in.

If someone could help I would love to know what varieties are good, when to plant, prune etc.

I have looked at UK gardening books but advice local to Hungary would be very helpful.

All ideas welcome please.

Old Dec 25th 2011, 11:13 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit Trees

Hi John, I do have some info and will post it for you asap after Xmas. Have a good one
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John, will send you some links later that might help regards varieties as I'm not sure - our peach trees are all mature and we haven't planted peach, only apple and cherry.

Regards pruning, we were told to prune either just before they go dormant for the winter or between the 2nd week in February and the 2nd week in March (depending on the frost). Then a further pruning in the summer to remove up to half of the buds as this will ensure larger fruit, you should look to retain those with clusters of 3 buds rather than those with 2.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:49 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi John, will send you some links later that might help regards varieties as I'm not sure - our peach trees are all mature and we haven't planted peach, only apple and cherry.

Regards pruning, we were told to prune either just before they go dormant for the winter or between the 2nd week in February and the 2nd week in March (depending on the frost). Then a further pruning in the summer to remove up to half of the buds as this will ensure larger fruit, you should look to retain those with clusters of 3 buds rather than those with 2.

Hope this helps.
many thanks & a very happy new year
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
many thanks & a very happy new year
We also want to plant a peach tree and also an apricot tree, so will await info with baited breath.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Post Peach Varieties

Hi again, these are the pages relating to peach trees from a couple of sites that I occasionally use plus a couple of others that I dug up. They are in Hungarian but I think you will get the general gist with the translated version.

Peach trees 1
Peach trees 2
Peach trees 3
Peach trees 4

Hope these help and I would love to hear which variety you end up planting and whether it is successful
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:35 pm
Veszprém Megye

Default Re: Peach Varieties

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi again, these are the pages relating to peach trees from a couple of sites that I occasionally use plus a couple of others that I dug up. They are in Hungarian but I think you will get the general gist with the translated version.

Peach trees 1
Peach trees 2
Peach trees 3
Peach trees 4

Hope these help and I would love to hear which variety you end up planting and whether it is successful

thanks very much