Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:40 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
In 25 years we have had 3 lightning strikes that were close enough to do damage to electrical equipment that resulted in an insurance claim on the household insurance and apart from those a couple of strikes that just blew a tree to bits but no other damage.

My approach to fire safety is to read the household insurance small print so that if the worst happens the insurance co. can't walk away because of some box ticking error. E:G: having chimneys swept once a year.
Then
Have more than enough smoke and CO alarms around to ensure a good warning.
Always turn off the chip pan if you leave the kitchen for no matter short a time.
If you lock the door at night then always leave the key in the lock 'cos you can't find a key in a smoke filled hallway.
Phone next to the bed so that you can grab it on the way out.
Get out quickly without looking for the family pet and never go back for them. They aren't worth your life
Leave the fire fighting to the professionals
I agree on all parts except the one about leaving behind pets. My 3 small inside dogs will probably save my life because I am a heavy sleeper. If they wake me up I will not leave them behind. I have a single floor farmhouse and the next room to my bedroom is the exit .
Old Jan 5th 2023, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I agree on all parts except the one about leaving behind pets. My 3 small inside dogs will probably save my life because I am a heavy sleeper. If they wake me up I will not leave them behind. I have a single floor farmhouse and the next room to my bedroom is the exit .
My house in a traditional Hungarian village house where like yours the exit is in the kitchen which is the next room to my bedroom. If for any reason my dogs wake in the night, they will both bark and after the older one tries to wake me they'll both go and stand by the front door waiting to be let out.

If I had to leave my house in a hurry, I know exactly where everything is that I need to take with me. I have a torch by my bed, the keys to the house are always kept in the front door and my handbag plus essential papers such as my passport credit cards etc are in the bedside table next to my bed.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Some good and valuable info!
We always leave one small light on in the bathroom and of course have battery-operated flashlights by the bed.
Just hoping that we will never need them.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 7:14 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
My house in a traditional Hungarian village house where like yours the exit is in the kitchen which is the next room to my bedroom. If for any reason my dogs wake in the night, they will both bark and after the older one tries to wake me they'll both go and stand by the front door waiting to be let out.

If I had to leave my house in a hurry, I know exactly where everything is that I need to take with me. I have a torch by my bed, the keys to the house are always kept in the front door and my handbag plus essential papers such as my passport credit cards etc are in the bedside table next to my bed.

Sounds like we are both set up similarlily. My keys always stay in the door when it is locked and my important stuff is by the bed also.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Reading all the above posts it's been a wake up call, especially if needing to exit the property quickly, because there's some things we do and some we don't so need to start checking how good are our fire safety and evacuation plans.
We have three exits, front door, lounge and kitchen, plus down to the garage and a balcony door in each bedroom. One snag with the balcony is the drop is probably 2.5 metres from the top of the balcony rail.
One thing has come up when I've read books or watched movies is a 'grab bag' with emergency essentials, some spare clothes, etc. Might do something along those lines, as well as having a grab bag for important documents and back up storage for stuff on the laptop.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 10:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
We have three exits, front door, lounge and kitchen, plus down to the garage and a balcony door in each bedroom. One snag with the balcony is the drop is probably 2.5 metres from the top of the balcony rail.
Our balcony drop is at least 15 metres! A job for Trumpton!
Old Jan 5th 2023, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've only got one door to exit which is in the centre of the house, but I have an easily opened low window in both the living room and the bedroom that I could escape from. In fact, years ago, instead of getting up and opening the front door to let the dogs out, I opened the bedroom window instead and let them jump in and out of the house that way.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
In fact, years ago, instead of getting up and opening the front door to let the dogs out, I opened the bedroom window instead and let them jump in and out of the house that way.
Our dogs would need steps both sides if we did just that
Old Jan 5th 2023, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Our dogs would need steps both sides if we did just that
Like these, up to our balcony!

Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Trumpton!
Who ???
Oh yes - My grandson is into Fireman Sam
Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Who ???
Oh yes - My grandson is into Fireman Sam
I'm sorry Peter but according to a previous London Brigade chief, Fireman Sam is a no no.
Fireperson Sam, if you don't mind! Where that leaves Dennis & Simon Snorkel I don't know!
Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I'm sorry Peter but according to a previous London Brigade chief, Fireman Sam is a no no.
Fireperson Sam, if you don't mind! Where that leaves Dennis & Simon Snorkel I don't know!
But we are in Hungary where luckily PC doesn't weigh quite so heavily on society
I come from a time of Andy Pandy, Noddy, Big Ears, Mr plod etc. Not to mention Bill and Ben with weed and the rest of them on black and white BBC TV.

Oh and talking of Black and White - what ever happened to the Black and White minstrel show also on non-coloured BBC TV.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

But we are in Hungary where luckily PC doesn't weigh quite so heavily on society
I come from a time of Andy Pandy, Noddy, Big Ears, Mr plod etc. Not to mention Bill and Ben with weed and the rest of them on black and white BBC TV.

Oh and talking of Black and White - what ever happened to the Black and White minstrel show also on non-coloured BBC TV.
As you say, thank heaven Hungary is so un PC.

You might have hit on something here Peter - did the introduction of colour TV precipitate PCism?
​​​​​

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jan 5th 2023 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Jan 6th 2023, 5:21 am
Banned

Totally agree with you Peter. Thankfully this PC and wokism BS is not a major irritant in most of Hungary. Common sense has flown out the door in much of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.