Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

Old Jan 3rd 2023, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

In my Goodbye to 2023 thread Sachina mentioned an incident in Miskolc whereby a firework caused damage to an apartment.
It's got me thinking ..... what fire safety precautions I have set up here. The answer is none! We do have a fire alarm which can be connected to our pager alert system but I haven't fitted it yet. To be honest I'm not sure of the best place to locate it. If in kitchen burnt toast is going to set it off every time but hey, I don't have toast that often so should be okay.

Fire blanket - haven't got one! Definitely something I need to buy.

Fire extinguisher - none either. Obviously if I bought it would have to be something suitable for each kind of fire! No plans to buy those biggies like in factories or offices.

Garden hosepipe - yup, got one but I have put it away for the winter. I definitely need to put it sonewhere where it is ready for use and won't be frozen!

Ladder - got a multipurpose ladder but it's been put away for winter. Same as above definitely need to put it somewhere ready for use!

I'm not planning to become an amateur Firefighter .... but if a fire is safe enough will do anything to put it out.

Am I being too precautious?
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 8:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire Safety, Fire Extinguishers ....

Originally Posted by FenTiger
In my Goodbye to 2023 thread Sachina mentioned an incident in Miskolc whereby a firework caused damage to an apartment.
It's got me thinking ..... what fire safety precautions I have set up here. The answer is none! We do have a fire alarm which can be connected to our pager alert system but I haven't fitted it yet. To be honest I'm not sure of the best place to locate it. If in kitchen burnt toast is going to set it off every time but hey, I don't have toast that often so should be okay.

Fire blanket - haven't got one! Definitely something I need to buy.

Fire extinguisher - none either. Obviously if I bought it would have to be something suitable for each kind of fire! No plans to buy those biggies like in factories or offices.

Garden hosepipe - yup, got one but I have put it away for the winter. I definitely need to put it sonewhere where it is ready for use and won't be frozen!

Ladder - got a multipurpose ladder but it's been put away for winter. Same as above definitely need to put it somewhere ready for use!

I'm not planning to become an amateur Firefighter .... but if a fire is safe enough will do anything to put it out.

Am I being too precautious?
Quick answer is no! Can't be too careful about these things. We have a small fire extinguisher, that's all at the moment. Fire blankets are good.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Quick answer is no! Can't be too careful about these things. We have a small fire extinguisher, that's all at the moment. Fire blankets are good.
My main worry is it could be anybody carelessly setting off a firework which could go in any direction.

Definitely planning to get a fire blanket asap. As to fire extinguishers seems there's five different types. Hopefully, someone on here could advise the basic necessities.

When I lived in West Croydon I shared a house with four guys. I had the front room on the first floor. I woke up one night at 3am and through the blinds saw red flashing lights. Realised there was a fire engine outside. Went downstairs to check what was going on. They said the fire had been contained. How did it start? Someone had been smoking in the lounge .... not much else was mentioned but I suspect that smoker had fallen asleep and the sofa or carpet caught fire. We didn't have to evacuate, thankfully. I couldn't believe that same morning none of the other four guys were aware of what happened.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Fitzpatrick!
Not too long ago at my sister's place. She put a pot with oil on the oven which she wanted to use for a Fondue.
And went into the living room to prepare the table for their guests. Obviously this took longer than expected or she was diverted so she realised too late what that smell and smoke coming from the kitchen meant.
Luckily for her her husband came with a fire blanket and the extinguisher but their alarm went off and the neighbour also came looking round quickly. The kitchen furniture probably has to be thrown away ...
Well, at least their neighbour invited them for dinner and a bottle of wine to get over it.
They haven't got any info yet whether the house insurance will pay anything ...
Better safe than sorry!
Since we gave up our cars (will be 80 soon - hopefully) we also have two fire extinguishers, one in the former garage, one in the Speijz (pantry).
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

You're more likely to have a fire from causes other than a firework.

Some years ago the Belgian couple who lived down the road from me woke at 5 in the morning to find their chimney and roof on fire, (the fire in the wood burning stove had gone out) The house burned down long before the fire service arrived.

Another friend was sitting in his living room when his ceramic wood burning stove exploded. Fortunately no further damage was done.

I make sure my chimneys are cleaned every year and my gas boiler checked to make sure it's safe. Most importantly, the pipe from the wood burning stove to the hole in the living room wall is removed regularly in winter and given a good clean to prevent it becoming clogged with soot and tar.

I'm a fireman's daughter and was taught from a young age what to do if a fire broke out in the house or worse if you were staying in a hotel! I also went on a 3 day fireman's course in South Africa which taught me how to exit a burning building in the dark! A lot is plain common sense and knowing such things as where your mains electric and gas switch/tap isand how to turn them off A bucket of soil or a heavy rug can be just as effective putting out a fire caused by burning oil in a pan as a fire blanket Just little things but one's that can be important in an emergency.

Last edited by Sachina; Jan 3rd 2023 at 9:27 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Totally agree with Fitzpatrick!
Not too long ago at my sister's place. She put a pot with oil on the oven which she wanted to use for a Fondue.
And went into the living room to prepare the table for their guests. Obviously this took longer than expected or she was diverted so she realised too late what that smell and smoke coming from the kitchen meant.
Luckily for her her husband came with a fire blanket and the extinguisher but their alarm went off and the neighbour also came looking round quickly. The kitchen furniture probably has to be thrown away ...
Well, at least their neighbour invited them for dinner and a bottle of wine to get over it.
They haven't got any info yet whether the house insurance will pay anything ...
Better safe than sorry!
Since we gave up our cars (will be 80 soon - hopefully) we also have two fire extinguishers, one in the former garage, one in the Speijz (pantry).
What size extinguishers do you have? Seems there's various weights.
I've been looking at fire blankets so I'm on it.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 10:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What size extinguishers do you have? Seems there's various weights.
I've been looking at fire blankets so I'm on it.
This is all we have - at the moment. About 30 cms tall, holds 600 ml.

Picture deleted as ridiculously large!

It's an aerosol, says its good for various fires inc. electrical.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jan 3rd 2023 at 10:51 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

First things first:

Smoke detectors (at least one on each floor)

Carbon Monoxide detector close to cooking area if using gas hob/cooker

Carbon Monoxide detector close to any (gas) boiler system, especially if people sleep in the vicinity.

Fire Blanket : kitchen

Powder extinguisher : in or close to kitchen

Powder is suitable for most fires these days though it is a bit messy. They are generally the cheapest and will put almost anything out.

Even a car extinguisher is better than nothing.

Foam is another option but you have to fight the fire in a particular way (especially a cooking fat incident)

Co2 also an option but not that suitable for certain types of fire such as a kitchen fire. Best for an electrical fire. Requires regular maintenance.

Water/Chemical mixture: for a general domestic fire like furniture..but less common these days.

If you have had no training, best go with a powder extinguisher.

I can recommend the UK Brand, ANGEL EYE from experience as reliable and quality devices for smoke and CO detectors.

Last edited by calman014; Jan 3rd 2023 at 11:21 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Re smoke/gas detectors:
In Germany they are law in certain rooms.
And a crazy story from Hungary.
In our old house we had a guest apartment with separate warm water and heating. Once our daughter in law complained that there was a gas smell in the bedroom. She often is a bit strange so I bought an electronic gas detector - which did declare that everything was ok.
And a few days later technicians came to our neighbour's house where he has the gas feed and meter on the outside - in our direction.
Problem solved!
ยด
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by calman014
First things first:

Smoke detectors (at least one on each floor)

Carbon Monoxide detector close to cooking area if using gas hob/cooker

Carbon Monoxide detector close to any (gas) boiler system, especially if people sleep in the vicinity.

Fire Blanket : kitchen

Powder extinguisher : in or close to kitchen

Powder is suitable for most fires these days though it is a bit messy. They are generally the cheapest and will put almost anything out.

Even a car extinguisher is better than nothing.

Foam is another option but you have to fight the fire in a particular way (especially a cooking fat incident)

Co2 also an option but not that suitable for certain types of fire such as a kitchen fire. Best for an electrical fire. Requires regular maintenance.

Water/Chemical mixture: for a general domestic fire like furniture..but less common these days.

If you have had no training, best go with a powder extinguisher.

I can recommend the UK Brand, ANGEL EYE from experience as reliable and quality devices for smoke and CO detectors.
Is Angel Eye available in Hungary?
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Re smoke/gas detectors:
In Germany they are law in certain rooms.
And a crazy story from Hungary.
In our old house we had a guest apartment with separate warm water and heating. Once our daughter in law complained that there was a gas smell in the bedroom. She often is a bit strange so I bought an electronic gas detector - which did declare that everything was ok.
And a few days later technicians came to our neighbour's house where he has the gas feed and meter on the outside - in our direction.
Problem solved!
ยด
I better go find the carbon Monoxide and fire alarm detectors and fit them as soon as possible.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 1:42 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of fire safety. It is a good idea to look at any extension cords, power spliters etc being used in the house and garden., a bad one of these can cause a nasty fire or shock

It is a good idea to have the lid to the frying pan handy when using cooking oil if you have one because they can smother a fire in the pan if they fit properly.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more worried about lightning than I am of the house catching fire due to a firework. The village where I live is surrounded by hills we get some really violent thunderstorms which can roll round the hills for hours. They don't quite live up to one's I've experienced in South Africa but can come pretty close! A friend of mine once received a very nasty electric shock having just stepped into the bath when his house was struck by lightning.

Fortunately, my house is next to one of the village churches which has a tall spire topped with a lightning rod. Even so I make sure the dogs are inside and all but essential electrical appliances are disconnected
Old Jan 4th 2023, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I'm more worried about lightning than I am of the house catching fire due to a firework. The village where I live is surrounded by hills we get some really violent thunderstorms which can roll round the hills for hours.
Yes, the same where I am !!

Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

In 25 years we have had 3 lightning strikes that were close enough to do damage to electrical equipment that resulted in an insurance claim on the household insurance and apart from those a couple of strikes that just blew a tree to bits but no other damage.

My approach to fire safety is to read the household insurance small print so that if the worst happens the insurance co. can't walk away because of some box ticking error. E:G: having chimneys swept once a year.
Then
Have more than enough smoke and CO alarms around to ensure a good warning.
Always turn off the chip pan if you leave the kitchen for no matter short a time.
If you lock the door at night then always leave the key in the lock 'cos you can't find a key in a smoke filled hallway.
Phone next to the bed so that you can grab it on the way out.
Get out quickly without looking for the family pet and never go back for them. They aren't worth your life
Leave the fire fighting to the professionals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.