Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Financial advice

Financial advice

Old Nov 29th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

steve270468 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial advice

Hi all.I'm hoping to get my soon to be ex wife to agree on taking out a loan / mortgage to buy me out of the house rather than selling it, £15kWhere can we get the best deal on a mortgage?How long does it take to arrange, get the money?I also need a little advice regarding a bank transfer from Hungarian bank to an English bank, my Hungarian is no where near good enough to navigate the Hungarian banks website.I need £15k sent to my English account from my wifes Hungarian accountIs it done bank to bank?What can I expect in charges?How can I get the best exchange rates?Must be some other things I haven't considered let me know if you think of any.Thanks in advance
Old Nov 29th 2015, 6:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial advice

You can send a wire from bank to bank, and the exchange rate will be poor for a relatively small amount; there will also be a fee to send the wire, and another in the UK to receive the wire!

A better choice is to use an on-line foreign currency remitter, such as transferwise, xoom.com, xe.com, and many many others (search BE for xe.com or transferwise and you will find many threads on this subject).

The on-line remitter should be able to debit your account in Hungary directly, or you transfer the money to the remitter, saving you the "send" fee, then the remitter will give you a much better FX rate than the banks ever will, and should be able to make a direct credit (look for BACS, ACH or something like that in the credit options, and not "wire") to your account in the UK, thereby saving you the receive wire fee too.

You will need to register with the on-line remitter, similar to opening a bank account, and you will be expected to provide identifying information and copies of documents such as your driving licence and passport. This will take a few days, so it would be best to start the process a couple of weeks ahead of you wanting to move the money.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 29th 2015 at 6:45 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Could I just take cash with me?Looks like I can according to the ugov website

Last edited by steve270468; Nov 29th 2015 at 7:14 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve270468
First check the exchange rates for cash exchanges = tourist rates = rip off (usually). Also if you turn up at the bank with a bag full of money they get twitchy about money laundering so expect hassle.

I have used HiFX to transfer UK to Hungary with no problems, but as they are a UK based operation there may be Hungarian bank charges to get the HUF to them.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That would be ill-advised for several reasons, not least if you lose it, it's gone!
Old Nov 29th 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Hi all.I'm hoping to get my soon to be ex wife to agree on taking out a loan / mortgage to buy me out of the house rather than selling it, £15kWhere can we get the best deal on a mortgage?How long does it take to arrange, get the money?I also need a little advice regarding a bank transfer from Hungarian bank to an English bank, my Hungarian is no where near good enough to navigate the Hungarian banks website.I need £15k sent to my English account from my wifes Hungarian accountIs it done bank to bank?What can I expect in charges?How can I get the best exchange rates?Must be some other things I haven't considered let me know if you think of any.Thanks in advance
You could also simply just take out the £15k from the Hungarian bank and take it over to the UK privately.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys may have found a solution pity exchange rates are so bad right now though
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

All sorted? Current exchange better now for HUF to GBP