Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Farm or Not Farm?

Farm or Not Farm?

Old Jul 21st 2021, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farm or Not Farm?

Originally Posted by xavierx
It is building size I need. the land is just a side effect of owning a larger building, but I have plenty of ideas for what to do with the land.

I currently have 3200sq foot total floor space, and bought my property a long time ago when house prices were sensible. I need AT LEAST double what I currently have. Anything at all in that size range in the UK is in the £1million+ range, and the gap between what my current property is worth, and what a property of that size would cost is far far beyond what I could even possibly borrow from the bank in the rest of my life.

On the other hand there are many 6000-7000 sq foot properties in Hungary to be had in ready to move in condition for £200-250k, and less than half that price for empty projects. It's the difference between possible and impossible
Well you could buy a plot of land and build from scratch? No idea why someone would need that much space but that's none of my business. For us it's the exact opposite (plan to downsize in future) and built a 2nd home in Spain with 100 m2. If you consider the high maintenance costs for large properties even £200-250K sounds expensive to me.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered another point:
What about heating?
Do you need "room temperature" everywhere?
Winter can get cold in many regions - even where summers are hot.
So air conditioning has also be considered, you see it more and more here.
Aan efficient (gas?) heating might be necessary - if you can get a connection.
Another related point there is insulation. The old thick walls (often half a meter) help but roofs are usually not insulated and the ground can also become quite wet - often there is no real "Fundament" as we call it in German.
Good quality and well insulated windows are another point
Old Jul 21st 2021, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well you could buy a plot of land and build from scratch? No idea why someone would need that much space but that's none of my business. For us it's the exact opposite (plan to downsize in future) and built a 2nd home in Spain with 100 m2. If you consider the high maintenance costs for large properties even £200-250K sounds expensive to me.
Many Hungarians clearly agree with you, hence the abundance of abandoned large properties 🤣

I don't think it's possible to build from scratch cheaper than buying an existing property, especially with the shortage of builders
Old Jul 21st 2021, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolfi
Just remembered another point:
What about heating?
Do you need "room temperature" everywhere?
Winter can get cold in many regions - even where summers are hot.
So air conditioning has also be considered, you see it more and more here.
Aan efficient (gas?) heating might be necessary - if you can get a connection.
Another related point there is insulation. The old thick walls (often half a meter) help but roofs are usually not insulated and the ground can also become quite wet - often there is no real "Fundament" as we call it in German.
Good quality and well insulated windows are another point
I noticed that a lot of places do not have a gas connection.
Automatic wood feeding boilers seem to be the solution, but they are very expensive to buy

Yes I will have to do a lot of window and insulation upgrades if I buy an older property, that is for sure, I will make sure to consider that in my renovation costs.

Thankyou for your points
Old Jul 21st 2021, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Many Hungarians clearly agree with you, hence the abundance of abandoned large properties 🤣

I don't think it's possible to build from scratch cheaper than buying an existing property, especially with the shortage of builders
In theory yes and especially if the land cost is high but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm no Hungary expert, though I would say it always comes down to the condition and standard of property and what type of build. Obviously most people won't have the cash to build a new house that size but after several years you'll probably end up paying even more. The roof is old, the pipes are old, the walls are crumbling and you basically replace everything anyway, so you have the additional cost of ripping something up and replacing it + a foundation that might be badly built in the first place.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

It will be much cheaper to buy existing than to build from scratch assuming the place is sound. i would avoid vályogtégla (English adobe or cob) as these properties need very careful repair and treatment although if you are looking at manor houses these are unlikely to be build of vályogtégla as this was the cheap form of building. The building I posted at the top at 4300sq.ft. and 180K gbp or 74M huf you couldn't get close to building this for that price. IMO it would be better to buy a property that was liveable rather than a diy project.
A big manor house i would expect to have some form of heating, possibly solid fuel storage heaters in each room or perhaps one between 2 rooms. These heaters are actually very efficient although can be a pain to use and dirty as you have a wood fire in each room. Big houses had heating!

For heating would not consider an automatic wood feeding boilers aka wood pellet boilers, they are as you say very expensive to buy, and they also have a high maintenance requirement, you are in hock to the fuel suppliers and fuel can be (is) expensive. Oil heating here is a non starter as heating oil has the same tax as road fuel. A modern gasifying wood burning boiler would be a better bet but wood burning once thought of as the green solution is now out of favour because of the pollution it causes, particularly the sub PM 2.5 particulate matter. and if you have to buy in the wood ready cut then it is about the same price as gas. Also heating a large house with wood is a life style choice. for me gas would be the obvious choice if you can get it otherwise consider a heat pump, either air to air or air to water.

You have not said why you need a 6000sq ft property, if it is for commercial reasons then heating costs is part of the equation otherwise run it at 19 deg and get some woolly jumpers. A thick walled building will have a stable temperature profile. It will take a long time to heat up and retain the heat once there, also if managed properly it will not need air con. in the summer.

Insulation will be needed on almost any property however probably only the roof would be worth doing. The typical manor house will have (very) thick walls and Historic Scotland have done experiments on solid walls and found the thermal efficiency to be much better than the theoretical value. For a long time insulating walls has not made financial sense (ROI running into decades) and this is even more so for thick stone walls. Windows fall into a similar category, if they are not falling apart then careful repair and draught proofing would be IMO the better option.

If you need to drill a well then budget for about 50 gbp / M depth. Local information will guess at how deep you have to go. my farm has 3 bore holes about 500M apart, one is 120M deep the other 2 are 25 M deep. well drillers will give a price / meter but won't guarantee where the water is to be found.

You can't put a snow plough on a car. However they do fit on tractors and you can get pedestrian drive snow blowers. What you may need will depend upon where you live. In 25 years we have only been snowed in twice and I don't have a snow plough attachment for my tractors.

Electricity upgrades will depend upon whether the local infrastructure has the capacity and the cost will depend upon how far the power has to come but in addition to that you will be charged 12 gbp / amp over 32 amps.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jul 21st 2021 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Would you know if there is a way that I can research the availability of gas connections?
Research on these sorts of things seem far less easy than the UK, I guess I have got used to taking doing everything on line for granted
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Would you know if there is a way that I can research the availability of gas connections?
Research on these sorts of things seem far less easy than the UK, I guess I have got used to taking doing everything on line for granted
search for gazszolgaltato Bacs-Kiskun
probably MVM Égáz-Dégáz Földgázhálózati Zrt.
or ask at MVM Hálózat
and
Ellátott települések listája MVM Hálózat