Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Entry to Hungary

Entry to Hungary

Old Jun 27th 2020, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

So if names on passports or ID cards are different between husband and wife (or children) presumably it would be prudent to have some evidence of family membership
Old Jun 27th 2020, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
So if names on passports or ID cards are different between husband and wife (or children) presumably it would be prudent to have some evidence of family membership
Agree with you on this.

Phew - I no longer need to worry!
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I know this isn't the right place to post this but I didn't want to start a new thread.

We have been trying to get rid of alot of stuff we are not taking to Hungary via the local Freecycle Network. It's been amazing to realise that one man's junk can be another person's gold dust! Yesterday we got rid of a solid pine singe wardrobe. We had tried to bring it downstairs but it was far too heavy for us so explained the situation to the person who wanted it. No problem she asked a friend of hers to help her husband. They didn't need my help! I was gobsmacked as they carried it downstairs and didn't even mark or damage the walls or wall lights. Later in the afternoon me and the wife decided to bring down one of two brown wooden cabinets which was in our office upstairs. Damn, far to heavy for us and there was a risk one of us could end up underneath the cabinet at the bottom of the stairs. Someone was supposed to collect both of them but didn't have the right transport. They asked if the two cabinets would fit in the rear of a Vauxhall Zafira which I also have and after measuring up the inside of my car told them they would stick out the back by 400mm and also the boot lid would be pointing skywards! They suggested maybe take one of them and come back for the other. But after mentioning they would need some rope to tie the boot lid down and cover the cabinet with a blanket so it didn't get damaged they withdrew! That was good thing because as mentioned it was too heavy for us to bring downstairs so I got out my electric saw and sawed it in half! I bought the two cabinets off a friend many years ago and he'd been mentioning every time he was here he would like them back but a week ago he dropped a bombshell and told us he didn't have the space! If only he had told me a month ago I would have put them on the local freecycle network straightaway! With the local council bulky waste collections being busy I have had to contact a private contractor to remove the stuff. It is going to cost me but there's no way we have the space in Hungary to store them.
I am not going to tell my friend what happened to his cabinets until he comes visit us in Hungary. I did offer them to a local charity which sells second hand furniture but they stated they are not collecting anything due to the coronavirus situation. It's a shame because the cabinets are of good quality dark wood (hardwood I think). The photo is one of them! I would have liked to bring them over to Hungary but as mentioned we don't have the space to store them and my wife is not keen on them! My friend has, though, decided he'd like a table and six chairs I bought off him back. He's got an ever growing family and the table could extend to accommodate eight people, possibly ten closely packed around it! Just perfect for those family gettogethers in Hungary but my wife prefers her own tudor style table so it's bye, bye to that too! I actually imagined having that table at one house I am keen on but that's not going to happen.

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 28th 2020 at 10:24 am.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Under international law a country can not deport its own nationals nor can it prevent its own nationals from entering the country. Other nationalities can be excluded or welcomed at a whim. (Additional rules for dual nationals).
The European countries that Hungary has excluded (UK Spain Italy and Sweden) without special permission are all those with high covid problems (or IMO those who have made a mess of controlling the virus !!)
Just want to comment on your ref. to international law and citizens....
Law or not, at present countries do lock citizens out unless they have a registered residential address. Talk from experience.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed this on the EU commission website;In the Communication of 11 June, the Commission recommended that for those countries where no decision has been taken to end the temporary travel restriction for non-essential travel into the EU after 30 June, the exemptions should be amended as follows:
  1. EU citizens and citizens of Schengen Associated States and third country nationals legally residing in the European Union, as well as their family members, should be exempted from the travel restriction, regardless whether or not they are returning home. Member States can, however, take appropriate measures such as requiring such persons to undergo self-isolation or similar measures upon return from a third country for which the temporary restriction on non-essential travel is maintained, provided they impose the same requirements on their own nationals;
  2. The specific categories of travellers with an essential function or need should be extended to include also:
  • third-country nationals travelling for the purpose of study;
  • highly qualified third-country workers if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad.

There is more context to this on the relevant web page.
But for the UK it would seem with the current infection rate being around 60 per 100000 people, we will still be restricted but may be there will be an opportunity to do 2 weeks of self isolation, rather than no entry.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecurb
I noticed this on the EU commission website;In the Communication of 11 June, the Commission recommended that for those countries where no decision has been taken to end the temporary travel restriction for non-essential travel into the EU after 30 June, the exemptions should be amended as follows:
  1. EU citizens and citizens of Schengen Associated States and third country nationals legally residing in the European Union, as well as their family members, should be exempted from the travel restriction, regardless whether or not they are returning home. Member States can, however, take appropriate measures such as requiring such persons to undergo self-isolation or similar measures upon return from a third country for which the temporary restriction on non-essential travel is maintained, provided they impose the same requirements on their own nationals;
  2. The specific categories of travellers with an essential function or need should be extended to include also:
  • third-country nationals travelling for the purpose of study;
  • highly qualified third-country workers if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad.

There is more context to this on the relevant web page.
But for the UK it would seem with the current infection rate being around 60 per 100000 people, we will still be restricted but may be there will be an opportunity to do 2 weeks of self isolation, rather than no entry.
It is still up to the idividual country to allow entry or not.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 11:47 am
Just Joined

GH12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I'd be grateful if someone can please explain what their experience has been crossing into Hungary from neighboring countries via public or personal transport? Slightly perplexed by the government stating that there are no longer checks on the internal EU borders but some members have reported that there are? Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GH12
Hi guys, I'd be grateful if someone can please explain what their experience has been crossing into Hungary from neighboring countries via public or personal transport? Slightly perplexed by the government stating that there are no longer checks on the internal EU borders but some members have reported that there are? Thanks
Hope I can help.
First things first - are you married to a Hungarian or someone from the EU (excluding UK)? If yes, you only need show proof via the relevant documentation, i.e. marriage certificate, etc. It's useful to have a translation in Hungarian.

Secondly, I'm aware many Brits are filling in a form on the Rendorszeg website Ügyintezes - ügytípushoz kapcsolódó doumentumok | A Magyar Rendőrség hivatalos honlapja . The option you need is 'NOVA'. There is an english explanation of the questions at the bottom 'Angol'. The form has to be filled in in Hungarian. You won't be able to fill in the form if you don't know the correct name for the border crossing, i.e. Budapest Airport is 'Lisz Ferenc Repuloter Terminal 2A (or 2B)'. Quite a few Brits are filling this in as a precaution to ensure they can cross. It has been recommended by a few others on here so if I was you and the above doesn't apply do fill it in. If you know someone Hungarian who can help ask for help. They could do it on your behalf (that's if you feel comfortable). You will have to provide certain information, i.e. reason for entry, address, etc. Most Brits who have filled in the form say they got a quick response. You may have to quarantine.

Hope this is helpful. Things may change next few weeks.

PS - I'm married to a Hungarian so only need to show proof.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I completed the online Nova form this morning, with the help of my Hungarian partner, she found some of the questions a bit tricky but we managed to completed it in about 30 minutes, we are not married.
We used the 'other reason' option, and typed a short paragraph explaining she could not travel alone due to a broken ankle and that we have been living together for a few years.
We attached a letter from the hospital with the diagnosis with no Hungarian translation.
We received a reply within a few hours granting an exception for me (she is an Hungary citizen so does not require one).
Subject to health check on entry and possible self isolation/quarantine etc.

The form could be a challenge but not impossible with Google translate.
I noted that in one field you enter 'Nagy Britania' for the country and for citizenship you enter 'Brit'.
It seems they can be flexible with the reason and we were not ask for any further evidence.

Bruce.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that's correct you may be subject to a health check. ​​​​​​
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

You need to see this.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...avel-corridors
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

GH12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've received the Police exemption certificate. Problem is that I cannot quarantine due to my presence being required at a place of work. On my previous exemption letter (before June 17th), this was not a problem and was signed by the deputy police chief of the national HQ. Now I have received an exemption letter from the local police force in Budapest which has made it very unclear if I will have to quarantine or not (which makes my trip somewhat pointless).

The exemption says something to the effect that "you will normally have to quarantine for 14-days if you show no signs of COVID-19 but you may receive a pardon from the competent government authority."

I've finally found that this means the airport police department have the authority to wave the quarantine following the health check. Although no one has confirmed this and I can't go into a quarantine as it defeats the purpose of the trip and my return flight is before the end of the 14-day period. Bit confusing to say the least...

Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I found this last night and according to this, the rules changed again on Saturday, mainly in regard to those holding residency cards ... good if it is correct !
https://helpers.hu/other/new-regulat...Dpg9I-b7A64vuU
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I found this last night and according to this, the rules changed again on Saturday, mainly in regard to those holding residency cards ... good if it is correct !
https://helpers.hu/other/new-regulat...Dpg9I-b7A64vuU
From my point of view as the spouse of a Hungarian citizen I can sail through, no quarantine, no tests. Phew! It has been a really stressful past few weeks for myself as we are moving over next few weeks. My sister-in-law had phoned the border police at Budapest airport to check on entry requirements for myself and the response was positive. She had also checked with the local authorities in Miskolc and same answer.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
From my point of view as the spouse of a Hungarian citizen I can sail through, no quarantine, no tests. Phew! It has been a really stressful past few weeks for myself as we are moving over next few weeks. My sister-in-law had phoned the border police at Budapest airport to check on entry requirements for myself and the response was positive. She had also checked with the local authorities in Miskolc and same answer.
Good luck with the move ... I predict more stressful times ahead as moving is always a pain !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.