Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Entry to Hungary

Entry to Hungary

Old Jun 20th 2020, 8:07 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Entry to Hungary

There's quite a bit of a debate on FB Brits in Hungary regarding entry to Hungary following this article: https://dailynewshungary.com/border-...6N319l_UbXyL9s

I hope I'm right that I should be allowed to enter Hungary as my Hungarian wife's non-Hungarian husband!

FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 9:11 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,492
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

A friend of ours entered Hungary last week with his wife, neither are Hungarian but both have residence permits and are a Brit and Italian/American. The Brit drove up from Monaco and his wife flew into Budapest. Neither had any problems or questions.
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 9:19 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
A friend of ours entered Hungary last week with his wife, neither are Hungarian but both have residence permits and are a Brit and Italian/American. The Brit drove up from Monaco and his wife flew into Budapest. Neither had any problems or questions.
That's interesting. I'm a non-resident but hopefully status as the spouse of a Hungarian allows me to whiz through. I've got copies of our marriage certificate and my wife's passport to show immigration just in case. Hope the marriage certificate being in English won't be a problem! We did have a hungarian translation done quite a few years ago when my wife needed to renew her passport and change her name but we didn't take a copy! I also contacted the agency which did the translation but the job was done too far back so not available in their archives!
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 10:46 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Near the Black Forest and near the Balaton
Posts: 725
wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

According to this EU citizens are ok but:
However, according to a press release by Budapest Airport, Hungarians returning from the United Kingdom have to enter quarantine for two weeks, and U.K. citizens are only allowed to enter the country with separate permission.
As Ive probably written before one of my sisters is married to an Englishman and they and their descendants have visited us and also Budapest (for dentist's services ...) before but right now?
https://bbj.hu/coronavirus/travel%20...untries_184730
wolfi is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:01 am
  #5  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,782
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Just picked this up from the Embassy web site, posted 18 hours ago. Note also the comment at the bottom. Might be good to email the police anyway just to preempt any problems?


Expatrick is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:11 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

What have I done! Oops - there's atleast four weeks to go!
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:30 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

https://dailynewshungary.com/border-...OjQTepuTiFB3JY
This article in Hungary Daily News does not make sense. It seems a non-EU citizen can enter Hungary to attend family affairs, i.e. wedding or funeral and care for a relative but not a UK citizen! But a permit is needed. Where do we find this permit?
On this link the form appears to be for entering via the border! Ügyintezes - ügytípushoz kapcsolódó doumentumok | A Magyar Rendőrség hivatalos honlapja
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:59 am
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
Hope the marriage certificate being in English won't be a problem! We did have a hungarian translation done quite a few years ago when my wife needed to renew her passport and change her name but we didn't take a copy! I also contacted the agency which did the translation but the job was done too far back so not available in their archives!
We took all the relevant paperwork and registered our UK marriage at the Hungarian Consulate in London and got a Hungarian marriage certificate which is in Hungarian, French and English.
It wasn't expensive and only took a week or two, my wife changed her passport and id card at same time iirc.
The staff there are really helpful and friendly.
Benny Kovacs is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 12:14 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Just picked this up from the Embassy web site, posted 18 hours ago. Note also the comment at the bottom. Might be good to email the police anyway just to preempt any problems?

My wife said that the form seems to be for crossing the Hungarian border and not flying into Budapest!
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 12:56 pm
  #10  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,782
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
My wife said that the form seems to be for crossing the Hungarian border and not flying into Budapest!
Hmmm, landing at the airport is "crossing the border". I know this because when we first registered here we had to sign a declaration of "crossing the border" confirming that we had landed at Ferihegy. Not sure now, to be honest!
Expatrick is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 1:06 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Have been tipped off about this link in Hungarian:
https://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/...mHA5MLupxNDaOU
In Hungarian:
Tájékoztató a magyar állampolgárok Magyarországra történő hazatérésének rendkívüli szabályairól a COVID-19 járvány miatt
2020. június 18. 8:00
A Kormány a 282/2020. (VI.17.) rendeletével a veszélyhelyzetet 2020. június 18-val megszüntette, s a 283/2020. (VI.17.) Korm.rendelet által kihirdetett járványügyi készültség időszakára vonatkozó utazási korlátozásokat a 291/2020. (VI.17.) Korm.rendeletben rögzítette.
A 291/2020. Korm.rendelet alapján a magyar állampolgárok – valamint más ország állampolgárságával rendelkező családtagjaik is – Magyarországra korlátozás nélkül beutazhatnak.

Google Translated into English:
Information on the extraordinary rules for the return of Hungarian citizens to Hungary due to the COVID-19 epidemic
June 18, 2020 8:00 AM
The Government has issued Decree 282/2020. (VI.17.) Abolished the emergency situation on 18 June 2020, and by Decree 283/2020. (VI.17.) On the epidemiological preparedness period announced by Government Decree 291/2020. (VI.17.).
A 291/2020. Pursuant to a government decree, Hungarian citizens - as well as their family members who are citizens of another country - can enter Hungary without restrictions.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 1:26 pm
  #12  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,782
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
Have been tipped off about this link in Hungarian:
https://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/...mHA5MLupxNDaOU
In Hungarian:
Tájékoztató a magyar állampolgárok Magyarországra történő hazatérésének rendkívüli szabályairól a COVID-19 járvány miatt
2020. június 18. 8:00
A Kormány a 282/2020. (VI.17.) rendeletével a veszélyhelyzetet 2020. június 18-val megszüntette, s a 283/2020. (VI.17.) Korm.rendelet által kihirdetett járványügyi készültség időszakára vonatkozó utazási korlátozásokat a 291/2020. (VI.17.) Korm.rendeletben rögzítette.
A 291/2020. Korm.rendelet alapján a magyar állampolgárok – valamint más ország állampolgárságával rendelkező családtagjaik is – Magyarországra korlátozás nélkül beutazhatnak.

Google Translated into English:
Information on the extraordinary rules for the return of Hungarian citizens to Hungary due to the COVID-19 epidemic
June 18, 2020 8:00 AM
The Government has issued Decree 282/2020. (VI.17.) Abolished the emergency situation on 18 June 2020, and by Decree 283/2020. (VI.17.) On the epidemiological preparedness period announced by Government Decree 291/2020. (VI.17.).
A 291/2020. Pursuant to a government decree, Hungarian citizens - as well as their family members who are citizens of another country - can enter Hungary without restrictions.
Sounds positive!
Expatrick is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 2:05 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Sounds positive!
Yes, but what proof does one need to prove someone is a family member? If for a spouse, i.e. proof via a marriage certificate but would it have to be in Hungarian or is English acceptable?
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 3:00 pm
  #14  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,782
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
Yes, but what proof does one need to prove someone is a family member? If for a spouse, i.e. proof via a marriage certificate but would it have to be in Hungarian or is English acceptable?
Sorry, don't know - but my instinct would be to obtain a Hungarian one, for safety!
Expatrick is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2020, 3:04 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,325
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Entry to Hungary

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Sorry, don't know - but my instinct would be to obtain a Hungarian one, for safety!
Good news .... my wife found it! So have copied both the translation and also a letter from the translating company. Phew!
FenTiger is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.