Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English Speaking Driving Instructor in Budapest

English Speaking Driving Instructor in Budapest

Old Jan 14th 2018, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

rnorris984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Speaking Driving Instructor in Budapest

Does anybody know a good English speaking driving instructor in Budapest? I have a UK driving licence, although I haven't driven in more than ten years, and am lacking a lot of confidence, but I need/want to drive.

I can be pretty flexible because I'm self-employed and work from home, but I don't live in Budapest, it's approx a 2 hour commute each way for me (there are apparently no English speaking driving instructors where I am), so it would make much more sense for me to have 'intensive' lessons of 5 hours or so.

If anybody has any ideas I'd be grateful, I've found a couple of websites but have no idea if they're any good or not. Thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Speaking Driving Instructor in Budapest

Why don't you just transfer your UK licence to a Hugarian one and get someone local to go out with you?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Why don't you just transfer your UK licence to a Hugarian one and get someone local to go out with you?
Thanks for the reply, there aren't any English speaking instructors in my area, and I don't know any Hungarians well enough to ask them such a favour - I would need more than a few hours of driving practice, and even if I could find someone willing to help me, I would feel too guilty asking them to give up so much of their time.

Last edited by rnorris984; Jan 15th 2018 at 7:57 am.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rnorris984
Thanks for the reply, there aren't any English speaking instructors in my area, and I don't know any Hungarians well enough to ask them such a favour - I would need more than a few hours of driving practice, and even if I could find someone willing to help me, I would feel too guilty asking them to give up so much of their time.
IMO you should get your driving licence transfered if you have not already done it otherwise you will need to take another test which won't help anyone. If you want practice in a dual control car then I would suggest you go to the nerest driving school and ask for an instructor who speaks (some) English, if they don't have one then go to the next school.......
Old Jan 16th 2018, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
IMO you should get your driving licence transfered if you have not already done it otherwise you will need to take another test which won't help anyone. If you want practice in a dual control car then I would suggest you go to the nerest driving school and ask for an instructor who speaks (some) English, if they don't have one then go to the next school.......
I'm not sure it's worth me having my driving licence transferred, we're in Hungary because of my wife's job (I work from home so it doesn't matter for me), and we won't be here very long, possibly less than a year. Is transferring it a lot of hassle?

We've asked a few local people we know whether any of the local driving instructors will speak English, and they look at us like we're mad for even asking! Which is odd to me, as we seem to run into random people who speak English all the time (in the supermarket, dr surgery etc), so why driving instructors are the exception, I don't know, but apparently they are.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I think that your UK lience will be good for 1 year after which you must change it, so if you are here for less than i year there should be no need to transfer it - but check with the authorities.
I would ask the driving schools directly about English speaking instructors.