E104 Form

Old Apr 15th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default E104 Form

I have seen various anecdotal references to people being refused the E104 form when requested in UK but can't find any definitive explanation of the current system from a non UK site. If you do a search for E104 at the EU website you get no results. I now have dual residency, Hungary and Croatia but am only paying into the Hungary healthcare system. When I applied for Croatian residency I hoped to get by with my EHIC card but found it had expired. I renewed the EHIC but that is still not acceptable, the Croatian health department say I must either get an E104 form from Hungary or start paying into the Croatian system. I will have to transfer to the Croatian system if and when I give up Hungarian residency but it costs about twice as much so I want to put that off for as long as possible.
Does anyone know how to look up current EU law on this? I would like to print something I can show to them in the Croatian health department office.

Last edited by fidobsa; Apr 15th 2018 at 6:43 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 15th 2018, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E104 Form

My understanding is that the EHIC is only valid for non residents. Essentially it is for tourists. If you have residency in a country then you have to sort out your NI/healthcare in that country according to its rules. The country where you pay your NI should issue your new EHIC card

A quick search on the web shows that the E104 has been scrapped and your new country uses form S040 to get form S041 from your old country. so as far as I can see it is up to the bureaucracys of the 2 countries to sort out once you trigger the request - Good luck with that if that is the case !

Health warning - the above about E104 is just my information to hand at the moment.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post

A quick search on the web shows that the E104 has been scrapped and your new country uses form S040 to get form S041 from your old country. so as far as I can see it is up to the bureaucracys of the 2 countries to sort out once you trigger the request - Good luck with that if that is the case !
Yes, that is my understanding of the situation but I don't expect them too take my word for it so I am tring to find something official that explains the new rules. My guess is that people were providing forged E104 forms to get free health cover. If the health department gets the form direct from the EU country concerned they will know it is genuine.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the procedure/forms have changed but if the Croatians and Hungarians* both insist on still using the E104 then maybe you should just ask the Hungarians for one.

(* I was recently asked by the Hungarian TAJ office to get an E104 from UK)