Reload this Page >

Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Harkány south of Pécs, right? Google Maps routes me there by preference via Graz and Slovenia.

If I'm looking at it correctly, it's not a straight comparison. The route via Vienna and Budapest is almost entirely motorway, the route via Graz and Slovenia involves travelling 155 km cross-country within Hungary.

The Slovenian tolls aren't that expensive - €15 (or €15 each way if you're there for more than a week). If you don't buy the vignette online, get it at filling station before the border - the Slovenian police are tough on toll dodgers who cross the border without one.

Considering the overall distance though, a minor time or cost saving wouldn't be the deciding factor for me. It would be: do I want a more scenic route; and am I used to driving long distances in a foreign country, on the wrong side of the road - if not, long spells behind the wheel (on the wrong side) on Hungarian trunk roads can be challenging, if not downright dangerous.
I have driven from Calais down to Malaga quite a few times, so used to driving on the wrong side of the road.. Looking at where to buy a vignette for Slovenia, there appears to be a petrol station (actually called 'Petrol') at the border that is listed on the DARS website. Looking at Street View, there is a gantry over the motorway with a sign 'Buy Vignette', so I'm assuming it's ok to buy one here (though it is just inside the Slovenian border).
Old Apr 4th 2019, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Duffy Haz is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening all,
This is actually the right way to go down to the South West of Hungary.
I have been going down to Barcs for the last 11 years and up until the last 3 years or so you had to go north from Graz and join Hungary at Furstenfeld ( spelling not right I am sure) this was always the hardest part of the journey then once the motorway from Graz going south through to Slovenia and Maribor was finished it made the journey so much easier - my spot is now just over three hours away from Graz and when you are at your most weary the easy motorway through Slovenia and in to Hungary by this route no matter what the toll is makes it so much more pleasant.
You head for Maribor and then Zagreb and then via off on the M7 heading for Budapest - dead easy!
I am personally all in favour of this easy route from Graz after having driven all the tunnels through the Austrian alps from Passau to Graz the straight forward drive through Slovenia to Maribor is less tiresome.
I hope this is helpful.
Sean D
Old Apr 4th 2019, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. That's very helpful.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Sean D. We usually use the Graz/Slovenia way & this time I opted for a toll free option between Hungary & Graz...beautiful trip & on the way out it was daylight & no issues. Coming back, having driven from Dunkirk straight through, it was definitely more tiring to stay off motorway. Will go back to the motorway from now on.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JBinhungary
Have to agree with Sean D. We usually use the Graz/Slovenia way & this time I opted for a toll free option between Hungary & Graz...beautiful trip & on the way out it was daylight & no issues. Coming back, having driven from Dunkirk straight through, it was definitely more tiring to stay off motorway. Will go back to the motorway from now on.
If I had a week to get down there, then I wouldn't go the motorway route, but got a hotel booked in Regensburg & Harkany, so need to get a move on.