Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

MarkyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Need some advice. Originally, our road trip to Hungary avoided Slovenia, but now we are staying at a hotel in Harkany, and the new route takes us through Slovenia. We are already sorted for motorway tolls in Austria & Hungary, but not Slovenia. So, is it best to still go through Slovenia but avoiding the tolls or avoid Slovenia altogether & go the long way round, though this does add an extra 140km? I hope this make sense.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to HU from UK avoiding Slovenia toll roads

Are the tolls more than the petrol needed to travel 140Km? …. Plus the cost of wear and tear on your car?

How valuable is a couple of hours of your time? Are those hours going to be spent with screaming kids, or with grandma, who will need an additional comfort stop?

The tolls would have to be pretty extortionate to persuade me to drive an additional 140Km, unless the detour had some compelling reason, such as attractions, scenery, a particular restaurant, etc.

ETA I think tolls in Slovenia (a vignette) are currently €15, which buys less than 3 gallons of petrol in Slovenia, so it looks like the vignette v the extra petrol is about a wash. …. So why would you add 2 hours and 140Km to your journey?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 3rd 2019 at 9:12 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are the tolls more than the petrol needed to travel 140Km? …. Plus the cost of wear and tear on your car?

How valuable is a couple of hours of your time? Are those hours going to be spent with screaming kids, or with grandma, who will need an additional comfort stop?

The tolls would have to be pretty extortionate to persuade me to drive an additional 140Km, unless the detour had some compelling reason, such as attractions, scenery, a particular restaurant, etc.

ETA I think tolls in Slovenia (a vignette) are currently €15, which buys less than 3 gallons of petrol in Slovenia, so it looks like the vignette v the extra petrol is about a wash. …. So why would you add 2 hours and 140Km to your journey?
No screaming kids or incontinent grandma. I just thought that Slovenia didn't do short term tolls, I thought they were a minimum of 6 months or something like that. Can they be bought at the border? Avoiding Slovenia altogether time wise only adds 30 mins (but 140km). Going through Slovenia avoiding the toll roads takes nearly an hour more than using the tolls roads. I will look it up.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Or..... change the hotel :-)
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:16 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

By what bizarre route are you driving to Hungary, from the UK, that Slovenia even becomes a factor?
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duztee
Or..... change the hotel :-)
Sadly, can't. Already paid for and non refundable. Bit silly of me really.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
By what bizarre route are you driving to Hungary, from the UK, that Slovenia even becomes a factor?
Really? I've just gone by the route that Google Maps showed me. It seemed a pretty straight forward route considering we are going to south west Hungary.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
I was wondering the same thing myself.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

I was wondering the same thing myself.
I've never done this journey before so just relied on the info Google Maps has given me.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by MarkyP
I've never done this journey before so just relied on the info Google Maps has given me.
Google maps is specific to the time of day, so if it thinks you're going to be stuck in rush hour traffic on the "usual route" it may send you on a detour. You can select what time of day you're leaving on Google Maps, and if you want the "clear traffic" route then you would probably need to set it for passing near major cities in the middle of the night. …. Google Maps also allows for road works and road closures, so that can force you off the usually shortest route.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Google maps is specific to the time of day, so if it thinks you're going to be stuck in rush hour traffic on the "usual route" it may send you on a detour. You can select what time of day you're leaving on Google Maps, and if you want the "clear traffic" route then you would probably need to set it for passing near major cities in the middle of the night. …. Google Maps also allows for road works and road closures, so that can force you off the usually shortest route.
Thanks for that. I will check it out again.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Slovenia ? Are you sure it is not Slovakia ?

Are you approaching Hungary from the South ?

Last edited by scot47; Apr 4th 2019 at 2:07 am.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by scot47

I have just checked the map and if it truly is (far) SW Hungary that MarkyP is heading to, then through Slovenia actually may well be the shortest route. I had been assuming a more-or-less east-west route through Slovenia towards central Hungary, but to SW Hungary a north-south route through eastern Slovenia is actually a reasonable route.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Harkány south of Pécs, right? Google Maps routes me there by preference via Graz and Slovenia.

If I'm looking at it correctly, it's not a straight comparison. The route via Vienna and Budapest is almost entirely motorway, the route via Graz and Slovenia involves travelling 155 km cross-country within Hungary.

The Slovenian tolls aren't that expensive - €15 (or €15 each way if you're there for more than a week). If you don't buy the vignette online, get it at filling station before the border - the Slovenian police are tough on toll dodgers who cross the border without one.

Considering the overall distance though, a minor time or cost saving wouldn't be the deciding factor for me. It would be: do I want a more scenic route; and am I used to driving long distances in a foreign country, on the wrong side of the road - if not, long spells behind the wheel (on the wrong side) on Hungarian trunk roads can be challenging, if not downright dangerous.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47

This is the route Google Maps has calculated. I've tried changing the times, but it makes no difference. I am happy to take on board any alternatives.
Attached Files

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.