Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

DLR lights on vehicles

DLR lights on vehicles

Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default DLR lights on vehicles

I've naively been assuming my new car DRL (lights) means both front and rear lights come on. That's the wrong answer! In EU all vehicles must be fitted with DRL on front but not the rear so it's important to remember to switch on the side lights if the driving conditions dictate so.
In UK the RAC have raised this as an issue because drivers assume the rear lights are also on.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DLR lights on vehicles

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I've naively been assuming my new car DRL (lights) means both front and rear lights come on. That's the wrong answer! In EU all vehicles must be fitted with DRL on front but not the rear so it's important to remember to switch on the side lights if the driving conditions dictate so.
In UK the RAC have raised this as an issue because drivers assume the rear lights are also on.
IMO an obvious failing and/or lack of thought by the rule makers and the motor manufactures. If your car was not under guarantee it would be simple enough for an auto electrician to install an additional relay to include the rear lights with the DRL
Old Nov 19th 2020, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
IMO an obvious failing and/or lack of thought by the rule makers and the motor manufactures. If your car was not under guarantee it would be simple enough for an auto electrician to install an additional relay to include the rear lights with the DRL
Some motor manufacturers include both front and back. The primary aim of the DRL are to ensure your vehicle is visible to oncoming traffic. The DRL are also dimmer than when normal headlights are switched on. But how many drivers these days bother to switch on sidelights when lighting is poor? Very few so perhaps the EU and motor manufacturers should have made sure DRL includes both.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

You might even change this by having your car "reprogrammed", but I'm not sure.Cars are sold to areas with different rules here.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
You might even change this by having your car "reprogrammed", but I'm not sure.Cars are sold to areas with different rules here.
Ah, I might ask about this at the first service.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

People have been driving cars for a hundred years already, you would have thought that they would know when to turn the lights on by now.

Whilst we're tinkering with lights can we remove the fog lamp please as this seems to confuse a vast amount of drivers as well.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
People have been driving cars for a hundred years already, you would have thought that they would know when to turn the lights on by now.

Whilst we're tinkering with lights can we remove the fog lamp please as this seems to confuse a vast amount of drivers as well.
I hate it when a driver leaves the rear fog lamp on in normal conditions when dark. It blinds you from looking ahead properly.

Old Nov 20th 2020, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait until the first műszaki when they adjust one of the headlamps to point straight at oncoming drivers. It seems to be the norm around here that every other car has one badly adjusted headlight so I presume it must be a műszaki requirement
Old Nov 20th 2020, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Re lights in Hungary:
The law says that you need some kind of light - outside villages/cities but there is a large number of people who ignore this rule, even with new cars where it should be automatic.
A bit OT:
My wife's son got a Hyundai "business car" on lease from his small IT company - they didn't want him to leave for greener pastures and it reduces his taxable income ...
And this car has everything, modern LED lights so the energy used is minimal, and also a fantastic navigation system with a big screen which automatically switches to the rear camera ...
The system also considers user information like heavy traffic and tells him of accidents or police checks ahead!
A very good investment for someone who goes to big cities on business trips regularly.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Re lights in Hungary:
The law says that you need some kind of light - outside villages/cities but there is a large number of people who ignore this rule, even with new cars where it should be automatic.
A bit OT:
My wife's son got a Hyundai "business car" on lease from his small IT company - they didn't want him to leave for greener pastures and it reduces his taxable income ...
And this car has everything, modern LED lights so the energy used is minimal, and also a fantastic navigation system with a big screen which automatically switches to the rear camera ...
The system also considers user information like heavy traffic and tells him of accidents or police checks ahead!
A very good investment for someone who goes to big cities on business trips regularly.
My car has a reversing camera and it all comes up on the infotainment system display.
My car navigation system is Bosch and displays on the infotainment display. I didn't like it at first but I'm gradually getting used to it. I'd prefer it to be higher up so my eyes don't have to look towards where you'd find the radio/CD player on older cars. I have a Garmin Nuvi 205(?). Using it in our rental car I was finding it too small so prior to buying my new car I dithered whether to buy a brand new bigger Garmin device or the Suzuki's Bosch built in navigation system. I have a free upgrade for life for all maps for my existing Garmin device. A big shame because I much prefer Garmin over Bosch. I did look into whether I could upload Garmin but couldn't find anything to indicate it would be okay. I might switch if it is possible. Garmin have told me I can't move my free upgrades for life for all maps to a new device but had said upgrades for all maps are free! I don't think this is the case.
Sorry for going off topic, hope we can move anything about navigation systems to the other thread.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the original idea for DRL's was to make it easier for pedestrians to distinguish moving vehicle from the clutter of vehicles on the road, hence Front Lights Only!
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
I believe the original idea for DRL's was to make it easier for pedestrians to distinguish moving vehicle from the clutter of vehicles on the road, hence Front Lights Only!
Hello Duztee - glad you're back. Not seen you on here for a while.

I agree what you say the DLR being for pedestrians and also for anyone coming in opposite direction are able to see the oncoming vehicle better.