Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Converting your qualifications

Converting your qualifications

Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:22 am
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default Re: Converting your qualifications

"Idealistically, this forum is to provide advice to people who may be considering a life changing decision and sometimes the information isn't what people want to hear"

Hi everyone, i have just read all the posts here (Previous posts by hubby) and this statement within the discussion got me thinking

i have always understood forums to be wonderful places where you can take in the views, experience and difference of opinion of all who post to enable you to research different areas and points raised in more depth, thus going along way to ensuring you are making your own informed choices that are relevant to you. This forum is no exception and everyone is keen to share their knowledge good and bad.

My thoughts are (and I am aware that I may have missed the point and my thoughts may not be that of anyone else, but are considered by the above quote)

Thought: People are making a life changing decision and given that we are all different we all have different needs and priorities. Would it be a good idea to have within the sticky threads, topics that seem to be a constant discussion and relevant to the majority of people thinking of relocating to Hungary. (this is not to say that i am making any judgement on current sticky threads in any way) I am just suggesting that maybe a few of the constant topics could be in a few threads so that when people are trying to seek opinions of others they can go to a central thread on a common topic.

For example (and yes this is my opinion only and certainly not definative as it is personal to what I looked for when relocating and possibly not the needs of the majority )
Language.
Employment.
Schools.
Climate.
Registering Vehicles.
Taxes.
Applying for residency.

I am sure this may not be a viable thing to do, or even workable, maintainable etc. Maybe I am just lazy but for me anyway having all these different opinions grouped up, leaves other questions to be asked and answered without things going off or back to the more popular discussions and people can then just say when answering a question for example 'the language barrier' please refer to language thread.

This obviously is only my possibly, lonely opinion, i just think that it will make it easier for people making huge choices with lots to think about be able to access discussions on common topics that could maybe get lost as they started out with a totally unrelated question. and enable people to ask a question and have answers and opinions relevant to that question preventing it ending up on another topic

Obviously i understand that my thought raises the question of what topics are most frequently discussed to make a list if this were possible which quite possibly could be a whole discussion in itself
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:46 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

As in my ealier post, Hungarian courses are available in the UK relativly inexpensive and available for those that want to learn it, why wait until you move over. This would avoid the need for a financial buffer to get to grips with the Langauge. Hell we know we need that financial buffer to get your new business off the ground.

You yourself operate your Business in Hungary whilst being well short of being fluent in Hungarian, so either way can work. I personally prefer to learn the langauge prior to moving over, not everyone can do this due to their own circumstances, I Understand that.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

!!!!!!!

I am not an electrician, do not have to speak with Hungarian customers, do not have to liaise with the local EON office nor have to deal with buying supplies.

Granted, my Hungarian is good enough to hunt down little gems of properties in good areas, saving Brits from being ripped off or buying in bad areas, as I did you, but thankfully, as you know, it's my husband that has to deal with Hungarians on a daily basis and his Hungarian is much better than mine..... We had a buffer for a year and it took him about that amount of time to become competent and confident enough with the language - especially the different dialects - and that was with total immersion in the language. If you can become fluent in a few months studying part time in the UK then well done, I have never said anything other than that.
The reality is that most of us mere mortals will not be capable of doing that and it is something for people to consider seriousley before moving here.

Now as AnnRay have not been back since their original post, time I think for this to
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:25 pm
Banned

All i am suggesting is that if people study in the UK, they will get a feel for the Language that will be an excellent guage for the time they will require to be in a position to be confident with the Langauge.

This will help them plan when they are to move out, rather than not moving out or moving out with unrealistic expectations.

Qualifications are not an issue, as UK qualifications are fully transferable. There really is no need for people to put any idea of a business in Hungary in the bin. Purely on the basis that the language barrier can be properly accessed from the UK for themselves as to whether they are capable of learning the langauage & what time frame they will require. 1 to 1 learning with a hungarian tutor can save months of trying to muddle through.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Right, you are not addressing any relevant points that myself or others have made and you are simply going round in circles. So the thread goes back on topic or I will have it blocked from further posts.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:52 pm
Banned

Indeed, this is Lisa and seems the question to the post has been answered and has gone off at an angle. For which no one is 2 blame just happens within a discussion sometimes. Obviously lots of people are passionate about different things and have different views and opinions, no one is right and no one is wrong. Sure wouldn't do for every one to be the same and different opinions are a way of life Everyone on here (i am sure) wants the best for everyone else and as such everyone wants to express their own personal opinions on different topics and surely not everyone will agree with everybody else thats what makes the world go round, which is why we have agreements to disagree. i hope Ray has filtered through this and has found the answer to his question Best of luck with your choices Ray and i hope all works out well for you while you are in hungary
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:14 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone should study to learn as much Hungarian as they can before moving. While qualifications may well be formally recognized, without a full knowledge of the language I doubt anyone will pick up electricians work. Imagine it the other way round, a Hungarian turns up in the UK with simple restaurant English language skills - who will employ him in London on a project that requires full communication for formal certification. No way.

Work is thin on the ground in Hungary - why for heaven sakes would anyone push aside local skilled labour to give the job to an English electrician?

I admire the ambition but people should be realistic in their expectations of future employment in Hungary.

E-On give out a list of approved contractors. If an English electrician succeeds in getting his name added to that list within two years of moving to Hungary, I would buy him more than one beer!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa
Nothing is easy, especially here in the UK. However nothing is impossible. Hungarian language uses our symbols unlike Chinese or arabic for instance, now they are difficult languages. Hungarian in comparison is far easier to learn than french.
Just picked up again on this thread which seems to now be a language discussion.
Take it from someone who learnt French at school that Hungarian is far more difficult, and from a native Hungarian who is a linguist, the most difficult language to learn after Chinese because of its grammar, similar to Finnish.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
Everyone should study to learn as much Hungarian as they can before moving. While qualifications may well be formally recognized, without a full knowledge of the language I doubt anyone will pick up electricians work. Imagine it the other way round, a Hungarian turns up in the UK with simple restaurant English language skills - who will employ him in London on a project that requires full communication for formal certification. No way.

Work is thin on the ground in Hungary - why for heaven sakes would anyone push aside local skilled labour to give the job to an English electrician?

I admire the ambition but people should be realistic in their expectations of future employment in Hungary.

E-On give out a list of approved contractors. If an English electrician succeeds in getting his name added to that list within two years of moving to Hungary, I would buy him more than one beer!
Suggest you read the posts.

1st it was about converting your qualifications

2nd no one has they will get a job with EON

3rd every time the langauge issue has come up, it has been clearly been stated that they should learn in uk.

The only time this thread has been taken off topic is that of the moderator.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by OGSG
Just picked up again on this thread which seems to now be a language discussion.
Take it from someone who learnt French at school that Hungarian is far more difficult, and from a native Hungarian who is a linguist, the most difficult language to learn after Chinese because of its grammar, similar to Finnish.
Take it from me who has studied both langauges French & Hungarian, french is certainly harder for ME to get my head around. whether that s the other way around for someone else is irrelevant to the discussion.

What your capabilities are not relevant to the capabilities of others. People need to stop trying to pre-guess whether or not a person will learn a langauge or not. Let them decide that for themselves
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Right, you are not addressing any relevant points that myself or others have made and you are simply going round in circles. So the thread goes back on topic or I will have it blocked from further posts.
Please re read your post's. It is only you who have constantly taken it off topic

Absolutly unbelievable post
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:58 pm
Banned

Imagine it the other way round, a Hungarian turns up in the UK with simple restaurant English language skills - who will employ him in London on a project that requires full communication for formal certification. No way.
You have got to be kidding, the UK is full of workers from all over the world that do not speak fluent English taking work from the brits

Simple, if you have the right business model, you can work anywhere in the world, suggest you take a look at the main Electricity suppliers in Hungary, are there actually any Hungarian companys?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:08 am
Banned

without a full knowledge of the language I doubt anyone will pick up electricians work.
Isolated this for clarity. At all times it has been stated to learn the language
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:12 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Enough is enough Steve. As others have said in their PM's and personally, I have been more than polite and patient with you. You made this personal and I have yet to resort to that but by god believe me, if you want some home truths then I am the person to give them to you. I helped you no end when you were here and if this is how you treat your friends then god help your enemies.

Annray asked about their qualifications and I pointed out that they must also consider the language barrier. Others have read the posts before commenting and the difference is, they see them for what they are and not from your single minded, bigoted point of view. It doesn't matter how many people or experts state that Hungarian is difficult, you will continue to insist that it is easy, so please folks, do not reply any more as he will only see what he wants to see.
To save anybody the trouble of wading through the thread, you said, " and of coarse their (*sp course there) is no reason that ray may not actually find a job with the likes of EON or become an approved contractor" well there is a reason, an unbelievably good one - he doesn't speak fluent Hungarian ( assumption as the OP has not returned). You then waffled on about how easy the Hungarian language was, others replied.

You have now posted 5 times in a row, this is the real world and you can not control everything here Steve nor make people see something that is not there, they see it as it is and comment as such.

You are the one who has continued to go round in circles with regards to the language - no one has ever claimed that the language is not easy for YOU to learn - however, that does not mean you can claim that it is easy when the majority of people/experts claim otherwise and yes you implied that a UK electrician could find employment here, their qualifications would be highly regarded and they would easily get their head round the language. Optimism is one thing, detachment from reality another.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Nov 29th 2011 at 1:36 am.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:17 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's really hard for topics to stay on topic, I am guilty of derailing threads myself, but maybe this one has really gone off at a tangent.

If people wish to have a discussion about learning the language then you are quite free to start a new thread on the topic. That way everyone's happy, otherwise it gets really hard to dig through threads and find info.

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.