Reload this Page >

Coach travel From Budapest To Balaton Region

Coach travel From Budapest To Balaton Region

Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coach travel From Budapest To Balaton Region

Hi All.
Just out of interest, and for some reassurance, that I may not be a complete idiot, could I have some feedback please from any and all who may have experienced utter dismay while trying to book a coach journey online from Budapest to the Balaton using Volan's website.

My Hungarian is not bad, yet I can't seem to fathom out why I can't get further than putting in travel details, at which point I am given various messages which don't allow me to continue my booking further to pay.

Tried the English version of the site as well as the Hungarian but no use

The particular route requires a pre web booking so stuck with no other options.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

dave
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

mr87009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coach travel From Budapest To Balaton Region

Can't help with the query I'm afraid, just don't understand why you'd use the bus when the train is direct and so convenient between Budapest and Balaton.

Matt
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave1982

The particular route requires a pre web booking so stuck with no other options.

Any help appreciated.

dave
Is it to your village? If so, are you sure it requires pre booking as there are numerous times I have checked the timetable on the website and the route says web booking only when it actually isn't so. If it's from your village, we have had family catch that bus at various times and they always pay the driver.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

We will be visiting in May to Zalakaros.
We will rent a car and drive down the M7 and will be joined 2 days later by friends who wish to travel down by coach. They arrive late in the day....will stay the night in Bp, then set off midday -ish. I don't wish to go collect them, nor would they expect me to.

I have been trying to at least go through the motions of booking, so can at least instruct/ advise them.

They would be getting on the bus en route from the airport therefore the the day after arrival somewhere on the Buda side of the Danube.

They would not be very pleased if pre booking is a requirement and they were found they were not allowed on.

Looking at timetable certain stops only allow people off.

May need to call specific stations for details?!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:29 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave, yes, certain stops are only drop off and you can't get on, if it says you can get on at the stop then I doubt there will be a problem paying the driver but as you say, best to phone and confirm.

Family and ourselves have got on the "pre book" buses at Sarmellek, Balatonszentgyorgy and just outside Nagykanizsa and always paid on the bus.

Will be interesting to here the reply, also whether you find out if web booking is available as we have never managed to do so either. I've spent forever reading the tariffs, the discounts and just about everything else on the site only to conclude that you must visit the bus station to pre book.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:47 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

If they are staying the first night in Budapest, they could use the Metro system, all very simple, & go to the main bus station at Nepliget.

see http://www.volanbusz.hu/en/timetable...menetrend=1183

From memory its pretty easy to buy tickets at Negliget though I haven't done it for a few years.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with John's approach and would add that when I travel down from Bp I don't bother with buying any tickets from offices but pay the driver when boarding the bus. (and as far as I have seen, as do most travellers without season tickets)
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:35 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

http://ujmenetrend.cdata.hu/uj_menetrend/en/index.php

seems very useful
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

adventurejunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes as has been said by all the rest just pay the driver easy peasy straight to Zalakaros
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks for all your replies. Seems general consensus is you can pay the driver. So will go with that but in the meantime will contact a station in Bp from Uk and speak with someone.

Will find out why I can't use their website to book and also confirm that its a sure thing to get a ride if you pay the driver.

That'll be sometime between now and May.

Thanks again.