CH Boiler

Old Oct 20th 2021, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CH Boiler

Old Oct 20th 2021, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
The existing windows, two balcony doors, shutters are all in a terrible state. Sooner or later some of the panes will fall out and the shutters are going to fall apart or the shutter straps are going to snap. The windows are a mixture of double and secondary glazing. All frames are wooden.

Both CH and windows need replacing.
If the shutters are of the type that are contained within a box over the window that is accessible via board on the inside - get rid of them as soon as possible. You can't imagine a worse cold bridge and heat loss if you tried. My advice would be to remove the shutter, seal up the slot that the shutter slides down, fill the cavity with insulation (either glass or mineral wool) and replace the board sealing it with mastic as you do so.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If the shutters are of the type that are contained within a box over the window that is accessible via board on the inside - get rid of them as soon as possible. You can't imagine a worse cold bridge and heat loss if you tried. My advice would be to remove the shutter, seal up the slot that the shutter slides down, fill the cavity with insulation (either glass or mineral wool) and replace the board sealing it with mastic as you do so.
So you mean have no window shutters? These are needed because three sides face east, south and west.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

So you mean have no window shutters? These are needed because three sides face east, south and west.
No I don't mean have no shutters, just that if the ones you have are the ones I described they are a thermal disaster and you really can't afford to keep them (If you are going to change the windows and the shutters are in bad repair then sort both together).
If you are using shutters to mitigate the effects of the summer sun then shutters on the east and west are not so important and internal roller blinds will probably suffice. For the south shutters can be more effective than internal blinds. You can get electrically operated roller shutters either with switch control or remote control that go on the outside of the window and they avoid the cold bridge, air leaks and heat loss of the shutters I describe.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah, okay, understand what you mean.
What sort of price difference am I looking at for motorised shutters?
Old Oct 21st 2021, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, okay, understand what you mean.
What sort of price difference am I looking at for motorised shutters?
Last time I saw they were about 60,000 huf plus fitting but much depends upon size and type