CH Boiler

Old Oct 18th 2021, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default CH Boiler

We're struggling to get to grips with our CH boiler. We couldn't light it up two weeks ago so asked mother-in-law plumber to fully service boiler, flue, radiators. He didn't turn up so wife texted him. We're deaf so phone calls are not an option unless we ask someone who can do it for us. But we're independent and like to do things ourselves, same as in UK, which we've done for decades. He failed to respond to our text messages so found someone else via a deaf friend who really went out of his way to find someone.
The previous owner hadn't left any instructions for lighting it up so we asked her a month ago if she could explain how to do it. Our boiler in UK just needed to be switched on to fire up. Anyway previous owner demonstrated how to do it but the matches we had were too short so that failed or possibly needed a part to be replaced.
In the loft there's a water tank for the boiler and it's a self filling one so plumber asked me to top it up. It was just over half full. As soon as I filled it up and the plumber replaced a part it fired up.
Great but now it's the CH temperature and day/night switch we're having trouble with. We thought we understood how the day/night switch works but I've been checking it whenever I wake up. CH doesn't seem to come on at all when I switch to night. We are obviously doing something wrong.
Plumber said the boiler is crap and needs replacing.

Old Oct 18th 2021, 4:56 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CH Boiler

A couple of my neighbours have similar systems and they are ALWAYS having issues requiring service calls. My house has the old FEG gas convector heaters and while they are ugly, noisy and not super energy efficient , They work and since I am not a techie type I have no plans to scrap them for something more efficient and modern. The old addage " Sometimes less can be more" comes to mind.

Hungary is very strict about DIY stuff involving Natural Gas appliances and gas piping and likely you will struggle to find a gas boiler available to purchase unless you have a license. I think DIY iing a repair or replacement could cause your home insurance carrier to refuse a claim if you were to have a fire involving the boiler. I would get a second opinion about that boilers condition before having a new one fitted if I were you.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
A couple of my neighbours have similar systems and they are ALWAYS having issues requiring service calls. My house has the old FEG gas convector heaters and while they are ugly, noisy and not super energy efficient , They work and since I am not a techie type I have no plans to scrap them for something more efficient and modern. The old addage " Sometimes less can be more" comes to mind.

Hungary is very strict about DIY stuff involving Natural Gas appliances and gas piping and likely you will struggle to find a gas boiler available to purchase unless you have a license. I think DIY iing a repair or replacement could cause your home insurance carrier to refuse a claim if you were to have a fire involving the boiler. I would get a second opinion about that boilers condition before having a new one fitted if I were you.
I had my central heating installed 14 years ago by a reputable company who drew up plans and gave me a quote for my approval. When the work was finished and before the heating could be turned on, it had to be inspected and approved by the gas supplier who at the time was TiGaz. Apart from having the system serviced each year by an accredited central heating engineer I've never had a problem. My central heating is left on all year. The thermostat in my bedroom is set at 20C so the heating rarely comes on between April and September unless it really is cold. The boiler is a Baxi.

Old Oct 18th 2021, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I had my central heating installed 14 years ago by a reputable company who drew up plans and gave me a quote for my approval. When the work was finished and before the heating could be turned on, it had to be inspected and approved by the gas supplier who at the time was TiGaz. Apart from having the system serviced each year by an accredited central heating engineer I've never had a problem. My central heating is left on all year. The thermostat in my bedroom is set at 20C so the heating rarely comes on between April and September unless it really is cold. The boiler is a Baxi.

last photo - there's HEAT and Frost? Correct?
Old Oct 18th 2021, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Plumber said the boiler is crap and needs replacing.
I tend to agree in this instance.
I have an inter-connected gas and an electric system which will run the CH and hot water from either power source.
The electronic control pad that I don't understand at all can set different temps for different times of day.
I may not understand it but so far never needed too, I am happy with the temps it sets at various times all without my interfering fingers messing it up.

It runs on the gas system which regulates hot water temp to (I think) 65C the only time I flick the electric on is bath time since this increases hot water to (Again I think) 80C for a really hot steamy soak, the gas temp is good enough for shower.
Only negative is it takes up a lot of space and looks Heath-Robinson.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
I tend to agree in this instance.
I have an inter-connected gas and an electric system which will run the CH and hot water from either power source.
The electronic control pad that I don't understand at all can set different temps for different times of day.
I may not understand it but so far never needed too, I am happy with the temps it sets at various times all without my interfering fingers messing it up.

It runs on the gas system which regulates hot water temp to (I think) 65C the only time I flick the electric on is bath time since this increases hot water to (Again I think) 80C for a really hot steamy soak, the gas temp is good enough for shower.
Only negative is it takes up a lot of space and looks Heath-Robinson.
We have a wood burner too in the cellar. No idea how the wood burner gets heated water to the radiators.

Old Oct 18th 2021, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

last photo - there's HEAT and Frost? Correct?
No. It's for when you want to turn the thermostat OFF.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

We have a wood burner too in the cellar. No idea how the wood burner gets heated water to the radiators.
TJK 40 (40 kW) |
Old Oct 18th 2021, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Fentiger
The boiler you show in the picture is old and not room sealed and inefficient. The air for combustion is drawn from the room in which the boiler sits (and from any other areas adjacent). If you do any draft sealing or replace windows you will have problems (i.e. it will be dangerous) unless additional ventilation is provided. Any faults with the flue could result in CO being emitted in to the room /house. If you haven't got a CO alarm get one ASAP.
Gas boilers must be fitted by a gas qualified plumber (same as UK) and part of their job is to ensure that the installation meets the standards.
The controller you show is a dumb room thermostat which is not programmable for different temps. or times.

The wood burning boiler is a fairly standard bit of kit that will be connected to the central heating by either gravity circulation or a pump. Typically these boilers are installed for gravity circulation. (If there is no pump next to the boiler then it is gravity) There was a time when wood was cheaper than gas but now unless you have your own source of wood or are prepared to buy in logs and saw/chop them up yourself then there is not much difference between the price of gas and pre-cut fire wood. Fire wood should be stored for 2 years before burning. In addition the type of boiler you show will be more polluting than the gas boiler you have and MUCH more polluting than a new gas boiler.
So unless you want the work of daily lighting the wood burning boiler and stoking it through the day with fuel that has to be stored and differs very little in price from gas then I wouldn't bother using it.

Make sure the tank in the loft is insulated all around including on top but not underneath unless it is within the heated envelope of the house.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Oct 18th 2021 at 9:04 am.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Fentiger
The boiler you show in the picture is old and not room sealed and inefficient. The air for combustion is drawn from the room in which the boiler sits (and from any other areas adjacent). If you do any draft sealing or replace windows you will have problems (i.e. it will be dangerous) unless additional ventilation is provided. Any faults with the flue could result in CO being emitted in to the room /house. If you haven't got a CO alarm get one ASAP.
Gas boilers must be fitted by a gas qualified plumber (same as UK) and part of their job is to ensure that the installation meets the standards.
The controller you show is a dumb room thermostat which is not programmable for different temps. or times.

The wood burning boiler is a fairly standard bit of kit that will be connected to the central heating by either gravity circulation or a pump. Typically these boilers are installed for gravity circulation. (If there is no pump next to the boiler then it is gravity) There was a time when wood was cheaper than gas but now unless you have your own source of wood or are prepared to buy in logs and saw/chop them up yourself then there is not much difference between the price of gas and pre-cut fire wood. Fire wood should be stored for 2 years before burning. In addition the type of boiler you show will be more polluting than the gas boiler you have and MUCH more polluting than a new gas boiler.
So unless you want the work of daily lighting the wood burning boiler and stoking it through the day with fuel that has to be stored and differs very little in price from gas then I wouldn't bother using it.

Make sure the tank in the loft is insulated all around including on top but not underneath unless it is within the heated envelope of the house.
We have a CO alarm connected to our Bellman pager system. A local friend mentioned the boiler when in operation will be drawing air from the room. We're not replacing the kitchen window with new window as that will be changed to a doorway to new extension.

Wood burner is gravity circulation. We don't have a pump like a friend of ours has. Our estate agent friend has commented we'd need ventilation in the boiler room if it is used. Not sure if the garage doors which have a gap, probably 5mm top to bottom is enough. We've no plans to replace the windows for the boiler room. Maybe at a later date before we move gas boiler from kitchen to boiler room/cellar. Those windows look like they have a steel frame and are single pane! As we'll need ventilation in boiler room/cellar for the gas boiler in there we'll have to cone up with something. Once boiler is in there move the CO monitor down there.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=FenTiger;13063238We're not replacing the kitchen window with new window as that will be changed to a doorway to new extension[/QUOTE]
Care will be needed because if you replace the window with a door to a new room - which will have new (air tight) windows in it then ventilation will be reduced.
[QUOTE=FenTiger;13063238 Our estate agent friend has commented we'd need ventilation in the boiler room if it is used. Not sure if the garage doors which have a gap, probably 5mm top to bottom is enough. [/QUOTE]
If the garage doors do have a 5mm gap top and bottom and are (say) 2m long this would give a hole equivalent to 14cm x 14cm. This would be enough ventilation for the boiler - until someone decides to do some draft proofing.
Maybe at a later date before we move gas boiler from kitchen to boiler room/cellar. Those windows look like they have a steel frame and are single pane! As we'll need ventilation in boiler room/cellar for the gas boiler in there we'll have to cone up with something.
I don't think you will be able to move the current boiler anywhere. Moving a gas boiler will need a gas plan and that has to define what is being installed. As far as I know a move of an appliance is an installation in the new place and you are not allow to install the type of gas boiler that you currently have. All new installation gas boilers have to be balanced flue and condensing type. My understanding of the regs is that the only thing you can do with your existing boiler is get it repaired where it is. (by the way a new gas boiler will be between 20 to 30% more efficient than your old one so reduced fuel bills after you swap out the old one)
Once boiler is in there move the CO monitor down there.
Don't do that - leave it where it is and get an extra one in the boiler room. ditto smoke alarm.

Think carefully about whether you will actually use the wood burning boiler. IMO using a wood burning boiler like yours doesn't make much sense when you consider the cost of the fuel and the work involved in running it.
Try it a bit this winter and see how you feel about using it.

Old Oct 19th 2021, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungay - I meant to say move the new boiler to the boiler room. The current boiler as the plumber said was finished. The current also is an eye sore in the kitchen.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

To be quite frank I would rather spend my money on having a completely new central heating/hot water system installed first, rather than spending money on replacing your double glazed windows with triple glazing. Apart from saving money by being far more efficient a new system would above all be safe and allows one to sleep soundly at night without any worry.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Old Oct 20th 2021, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
To be quite frank I would rather spend my money on having a completely new central heating/hot water system installed first, rather than spending money on replacing your double glazed windows with triple glazing. Apart from saving money by being far more efficient a new system would above all be safe and allows one to sleep soundly at night without any worry.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.
The existing windows, two balcony doors, shutters are all in a terrible state. Sooner or later some of the panes will fall out and the shutters are going to fall apart or the shutter straps are going to snap. The windows are a mixture of double and secondary glazing. All frames are wooden.

Both CH and windows need replacing.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The existing windows, two balcony doors, shutters are all in a terrible state. Sooner or later some of the panes will fall out and the shutters are going to fall apart or the shutter straps are going to snap. The windows are a mixture of double and secondary glazing. All frames are wooden.

Both CH and windows need replacing.
You obviously haven't seen the windows in my house! They're the original from 1940 when the house was built and don't fit properly. Some are broken or have bits of glass missing, I only have a small budget to work with and they have been low down on the list. I'm hoping to replace them next year.

My father was a fireman and he had us well trained in matters of safety especially in the home. My CH is a closed flue system, but I was still worried until it was serviced last week and I now know it's working properly. I now have to get my neighbour to remove the pipe from my living room stove and give it a good clean because even though the chimney has been swept and will be fine until next year, the pipe needs removing and cleaning every three month or so. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.