Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Buying & Selling a Hungarian car.

Buying & Selling a Hungarian car.

Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:53 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a Hungarian reg car.

Originally Posted by anonimouse
The office you need to sell or register a vehicle is the Okmanyiroda. I think there's one in most big towns, not sure though.

I found a site from Google, in Hungarian though, Okmanyiroda Hu, hope it helps anyone.
Found the forms to change ownership here for you to download free, remember you need 4 copies.

http://www.nyergesujfalu.hu/Dokument...k_tulajdon.pdf

Wouldn't mind some help filling them in.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Is it right there is a 50,000 Forint charge for transferring ownership?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:53 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes for the buyer
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
No, I made that up for the fun of it

Thanks anonimouse - will merge this with the other car thread.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Mar 29th 2011 at 2:46 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, my memory is hopeless so I thought I had heard that figure mentioned but could not remember from whom etc.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:57 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard from a Hungarian friend that it has increased, not 100% on this but will try and find out.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Daheee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying & Selling a Hungarian car.

Hi I posted this in another area of the forum but as this one seems more active I will copy it here as well.

Hi I am also trying to find a way to insure my English car which is a left hand drive in Hungary.
In December of 2009 a woman ran into my car which was parked on the street. She of course did not have any insurance and the time to repair was 11 months because of this. The issue is that I was not able to return my car for its MOT and therefore now have my car stuck in Hungary without the ability to drive it.
Anyone out there know of any companies who can insure it. As I said earlier it is a left hand drive.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daheee
Hi I posted this in another area of the forum but as this one seems more active I will copy it here as well.

Hi I am also trying to find a way to insure my English car which is a left hand drive in Hungary.
In December of 2009 a woman ran into my car which was parked on the street. She of course did not have any insurance and the time to repair was 11 months because of this. The issue is that I was not able to return my car for its MOT and therefore now have my car stuck in Hungary without the ability to drive it.
Anyone out there know of any companies who can insure it. As I said earlier it is a left hand drive.
Hi and welcome

Presuming it's UK plated, it won't be legal in Hungary if it isn't legal in its country of registration, and if it has no MOT then it's not legal in the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi and welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Hungary are you and how do you like it?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hi and welcome

Presuming it's UK plated, it won't be legal in Hungary if it isn't legal in its country of registration, and if it has no MOT then it's not legal in the UK.
Well that is the point which is why I am looking to insure it in Hungary. Because the repair and court case took nearly a year the MOT expired in August of last year.

Been living here a long time and worked in most cities and towns around Hungary but I live in Budapest now.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is the point which is why I am looking to insure it in Hungary. Because the repair and court case took nearly a year the MOT expired in August of last year.
I'm sorry, you may have misread my post. If your car is not mot'd in the UK and is on UK plates then it is no longer legal in the country of registration. If it is no longer legal in the country of registration then it is often not legal in the country you are driving it in. Therefore if it is being insured in Hungary, in the event of a claim it may be negated by this fact. What I am saying is that although your insurance company may take the premium, make very sure that you have in writing that they are aware of the problem and will honour all claims

If at any time you choose to drive back to the UK in it, it will be illegal from the moment you touch land there as it has no tax or mot. You will need to make arrangements to lower the risk of prosecution
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

I have read your predicament, and unfortunately there is no good news. Any vehicle outside the UK for more than 12 months is regarded as a permanent export by the UK gov, whereby a 'notification of permanent export' form has to be submitted. The vehicle then becomes subject to the legal requirements of the new country.
If returning the vehicle to the UK without tax, it cannot be driven only transported and SORN (statutory off road vehicle) must be declared on arrival. As it cannot be insured without the normal documents it becomes illegal to be driven in all countries in europe, so it must be transported all the way.
As Mitzyboy has mentioned, beware of approaching insurance companies willing to oblige. The insurance would be worthless, regardless of how sincere they sound.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:18 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bronty
I have read your predicament, and unfortunately there is no good news. Any vehicle outside the UK for more than 12 months is regarded as a permanent export by the UK gov, whereby a 'notification of permanent export' form has to be submitted. The vehicle then becomes subject to the legal requirements of the new country.
If returning the vehicle to the UK without tax, it cannot be driven only transported and SORN (statutory off road vehicle) must be declared on arrival. As it cannot be insured without the normal documents it becomes illegal to be driven in all countries in europe, so it must be transported all the way.
As Mitzyboy has mentioned, beware of approaching insurance companies willing to oblige. The insurance would be worthless, regardless of how sincere they sound.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Yes, but apart from the UK legalities you also have to consider the rules of the country you are living in. For instance in Spain once you reside there you are unable to drive a UK plated car unless it is in the process of matriculation.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies but I am aware of this. Was looking to get it transported back to the UK to get the MOT and insurance sorted out however the price of this aint v good. I also looked at getting a Hungarian plate but the price is just crazy (no suprise there). Therefore the other avenue I was looking at was to get a technical exam in Hungary and find an insurance company here to insure it but by the sounds of it this will not be possible.
So I am stuck with my car here and unable to drive it all because some stupid woman with no insurance decided to crash into it and the red tape and court case to get her to pay took a year. Ahh well I have lived here a long time and should be used to such issues however I will never be.

Ty for your time to answer anyway people
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:37 am
Senior Moment

Thanks for the replies but I am aware of this. Was looking to get it transported back to the UK to get the MOT and insurance sorted out however the price of this aint v good. I also looked at getting a Hungarian plate but the price is just crazy (no suprise there). Therefore the other avenue I was looking at was to get a technical exam in Hungary and find an insurance company here to insure it but by the sounds of it this will not be possible.
So I am stuck with my car here and unable to drive it all because some stupid woman with no insurance decided to crash into it and the red tape and court case to get her to pay took a year. Ahh well I have lived here a long time and should be used to such issues however I will never be.

Ty for your time to answer anyway people

OK ..... heres how it HAS been done.

Firstly the local MOT (whatever you call it there) has no validity on a UK car, although at least it would tell you if the car was safe to drive and in working order. However, you will find a company somewhere that will insure it, and should you be in an accident, in theory they are bound to pay out third party. In theory.

If you drove to the UK then when you arrived at the port you would be illegal .... however, if you have pre booked an MOT at a local station in Dover then in theory if you are stopped then you are covered as you can drive an un mot'd car to a pre booked MOT appointment.

So really it is down to you to find out if you can get the car insured to drive over Europe until you reach the UK

I reiterate here details of what others have done, and am in no way recommending this course of action personally or on behalf of BE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.