Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Brits in hungary?

Brits in hungary?

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in hungary?

Originally Posted by outward_Bound
Many thanks. Yes one option is for me to take a year out but it wasn't a plan to do that in hungary, then again why not i suppose. I'm still looking into that idea. The current suggestion is to try and find a house that we can make a small living out of. any ideas on any websites? If we done that I would probably have to work away for another few years so we could buy a place outright but the thought of living pretty much self sufficiently is very very appealing right now
Hi again, I'm assuming you are still quite young and that there are only two of you? If so, it would be extremely easy to become self sufficient in food production in Hungary. Obviously, unless off grid, the need for income enters the equation regards utilities, vehicle running costs, internet, occasional luxuries etc.
You do have a huge advantage over many expats in that your girlfriend is Hungarian (assuming she speaks Hungarian) so obtaining a market stall or even selling excess produce from your gate would be feasible. Other top up incomes can include proving youth hostel accommodation (location will, to a certain extent, dictate the success of this). Without knowing your employment background, it is difficult to suggest other possibilities such as niche holidays, freelance distance employment etc.

Have you visited the rural parts of Hungary before?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rural, certainly Not north east, I meant North West!!

Judy
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

outward_Bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi again, I'm assuming you are still quite young and that there are only two of you? If so, it would be extremely easy to become self sufficient in food production in Hungary. Obviously, unless off grid, the need for income enters the equation regards utilities, vehicle running costs, internet, occasional luxuries etc.
You do have a huge advantage over many expats in that your girlfriend is Hungarian (assuming she speaks Hungarian) so obtaining a market stall or even selling excess produce from your gate would be feasible. Other top up incomes can include proving youth hostel accommodation (location will, to a certain extent, dictate the success of this). Without knowing your employment background, it is difficult to suggest other possibilities such as niche holidays, freelance distance employment etc.

Have you visited the rural parts of Hungary before?

Thanks Guys, you are the best! I'm 37 and for last 5 years I've worked in I.T. in bank. Lets just say it's not my favourite job. I'd really love to exit the "rat race" but my working experience is not conducive to rural life in a country that hardly speaks english . Previously I was working in a factory. My girlfriend and I have talked about some businesses like you mentioned but I guess it's about continuing to research and not making any rash decisions. Currently we have circa £50k to spend on a house. I know it's not yet enough to find a home and a business.

Yes my girlfriend does speak hungarian and I've visited before Keschemet, Kisciros, pecs etc. (sorry for spelling!!) but we are looking at the north west / west as you have pointed out, cheers

Last edited by outward_Bound; Apr 22nd 2012 at 2:48 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Outward Bound,

I should imagine the budget you have stated is enough for a house with a fair bit of land for your purposes (i.e. rural living). However, before you buy be sure that you are paying the market value for the property. I know you are not at that stage yet, but I have had personal experience of being ripped off by a particular firm of agents, so just be careful. On the whole, Hungary remains a great place to live, especially if you are looking for that rural idyll away from the rat race. Obviously its not all plain sailing, and living a sustainable lifestyle is hard work, albeit worth it. Good luck with your research etc, I am sure you will make the right decision appropriate for you both.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:36 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys, you are the best! I'm 37 and for last 5 years I've worked in I.T. in bank. Lets just say it's not my favourite job. I'd really love to exit the "rat race" but my working experience is not conducive to rural life in a country that hardly speaks english . Previously I was working in a factory. My girlfriend and I have talked about some businesses like you mentioned but I guess it's about continuing to research and not making any rash decisions. Currently we have circa £50k to spend on a house. I know it's not yet enough to find a home and a business.

Yes my girlfriend does speak hungarian and I've visited before Keschemet, Kisciros, pecs etc. (sorry for spelling!!) but we are looking at the north west / west as you have pointed out, cheers
If not being isolated is a priority, stick to the West rather than North West as there few Brits in the North West. 50k is more than ample for a rural property. For example, I know of a little cottage with outbuildings (very pretty little house full of character) and an orchard with over 90 fruit and nut trees which sold for just over £5,000 last week - full renovation will be about £7,000 so £12,000 for a house, outbuildings and potential business.
There are many similar properties which are ideal for use as a smallholding (established orchards are harder to find). I wouldn't envisage you having to pay over £30,000 for a renovated smallholding - unless it was near a tourist area.
Personally, I think you would have a large enough buffer to make a go of it and once here, you soon spot opportunities.... Having to rely on finding employment in a country where you do not speak the language is far more difficult. Stay long enough and you might even learn to converse with the natives in this land that doesn't speak English

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 22nd 2012 at 3:40 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

If not being isolated is a priority, stick to the West rather than North West as there few Brits in the North West. 50k is more than ample for a rural property. For example, I know of a little cottage with outbuildings (very pretty little house full of character) and an orchard with over 90 fruit and nut trees which sold for just over £5,000 last week - full renovation will be about £7,000 so £12,000 for a house, outbuildings and potential business.
There are many similar properties which are ideal for use as a smallholding (established orchards are harder to find). I wouldn't envisage you having to pay over £30,000 for a renovated smallholding - unless it was near a tourist area.
Personally, I think you would have a large enough buffer to make a go of it and once here, you soon spot opportunities.... Having to rely on finding employment in a country where you do not speak the language is far more difficult. Stay long enough and you might even learn to converse with the natives in this land that doesn't speak English
12k!! that's amazing. how do i find such little gems? I know best option is to come to hungary but not really practical at the minute. maybe in a few months though. I've been searching online and have found some nice websites but if you know of anymore i'd be very glad to view them. thanks guys

Last edited by outward_Bound; Apr 22nd 2012 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

You will have no problem finding a place for the sort of figure RH mentioned as there are lots of them on the market. I paid about £16,000 for my fairly large house with 1.5 acres of land and some farm buildings but the exchange rate was not so good when I bought mine.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:08 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

12k!! that's amazing. how do i find such little gems? I know best option is to come to hungary but not really practical at the minute. maybe in a few months though. I've been searching online and have found some nice websites but if you know of anymore i'd be very glad to view them. thanks guys
Little gems like that are few and far between and it took some finding - but they do exist. It was an owner direct property. Typical adobe cottage, which can be difficult to find in a dry, solid condition. To find one with a mature orchard, in a good village and at an unbelievable price is very rare.

Regular sixties style houses with large plots can be found in nearly every village, the location and type of village tends to dictate the price.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Little gems like that are few and far between and it took some finding - but they do exist. It was an owner direct property. Typical adobe cottage, which can be difficult to find in a dry, solid condition. To find one with a mature orchard, in a good village and at an unbelievable price is very rare.

Regular sixties style houses with large plots can be found in nearly every village, the location and type of village tends to dictate the price.

THanks again guys. I think it's time for my girlfriend to start searching the internet in hungarian for some little gems. I'll come back and let you know how I get on, again, thank you so much
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Most of the best buys are found direct from the owner and involve a few days driving round and talking to locals (easier for you because with your girlfriend). Best to research areas first as nothing worse than finding a "little gem" in a bad area. So a busy couple of months ahead! Good luck and if you need any info or help, there is usually somebody about on the forum who will be more than willing to help.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

Hi Outward Bound......I have sent you a PM....Evie2
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi GUys, not sure if I should have started a new thread. Does anyone know of any rental sites? My girlfriend tells me we can easily rent a place for £150 - £200 a month but I'd really like to do my own research

cheers again
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:56 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GUys, not sure if I should have started a new thread. Does anyone know of any rental sites? My girlfriend tells me we can easily rent a place for £150 - £200 a month but I'd really like to do my own research

cheers again

www.ingatlan.com is good for Budapest
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

cheers again
Your girlfriend is correct, many rural properties will only be advertised locally though or through word of mouth and a one bed village property in basic Hungarian condition shouldn't cost more than £100. For £200 you should be able to get a two bed in decent condition in or close to a more "touristy area". I would recommend you live in a rural area if that is where you hope to buy as it is very different to living in the tourist spots.

Have you narrowed down a search area yet? If so, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up some local lettings for you - most longer term lets here will involve a 6 month contract.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

thanks. This is such a big decision. One minute I'm all on for giving up the job and going and then the next I'm terrified! It may or may not be the right time.

Areas of interest are fairly wide ranging but north hungary for sure as opposed to south. This is in order to be somewhat close to Budapest but yet still being in the country. To narrow further hmmm..probably the north west corner i.e. if you divide the country into quarters

Last edited by outward_Bound; Apr 24th 2012 at 3:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.