Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Anybody else got an interesting number plate? Cherished number plates.

Anybody else got an interesting number plate? Cherished number plates.

Old May 28th 2023, 3:27 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anybody else got an interesting number plate? Cherished number plates.

So I still have my somewhat different number plate from 1997. It is CB-+low digit.

The CB means Career Businessman, ie same as CD means Career Diplomat. Back then we were valued lol.

I never tried parking in the CD ranks at the airport but I reckon I would get away with it.

Thanks to my mate Laszlo who arranged it at Wallis Motor Pest.

Anyway - I like the number plate - can I transfer it like in the UK?

It's not 'cherished' as such, I wouldn't pay money for a number plate - but the car is actually 26YO so getting on a bit, I just like the number plate.

Doesn't always help - I get pulled over a few times now and then out of officer curiosity. 3 times in 10 weeks during pandemic.

Here's a tip for any young guys out there: act polite, humble, say uraim a lot, say oh sorry I didn't realise I was slightly over the speed limit - obvs keep your documents in good order - just be polite and they will send you on your way with a laugh.
Old May 28th 2023, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else got an interesting number plate? Cherished number plates.

In Hungary there used to be a chance to get special licence plates (for a certain sum of course, don't know how much) but there were some rules:
Among the 6 letters/digits there had to be at least one letter and one digit - and some combinations were forbidden.
I remember that taxi with SCHUM1
With the new system - starting with AA right now I don't know.
OT
In Germany you also can choose combinations with some limits, I used to have Tü W333, W444, and last was W666 (got that?)where TÜ is the code for my hometown.
Old May 28th 2023, 4:54 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else got an interesting number plate? Cherished number plates.

Originally Posted by wolfi
In Hungary there used to be a chance to get special licence plates (for a certain sum of course, don't know how much) but there were some rules:
Among the 6 letters/digits there had to be at least one letter and one digit - and some combinations were forbidden.
I remember that taxi with SCHUM1
With the new system - starting with AA right now I don't know.
OT
In Germany you also can choose combinations with some limits, I used to have Tü W333, W444, and last was W666 (got that?)where TÜ is the code for my hometown.
Not sure I got the W666, maybe another clue? Wolfi?

My wife has got GUN-001 with a black car and tinted windows - and funnily enough the police never stop her.
Old May 29th 2023, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Bill, you don't know the number of the beast???
Old May 29th 2023, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Some years back I saw a car with registration 'JEW ###'. In Auchan car park saw a car with registration 'SEX ###'.
Old May 29th 2023, 4:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Sykes
Not sure I got the W666, maybe another clue? Wolfi? ...
Originally Posted by wolfi
Bill, you don't know the number of the beast???
My in-laws moved to Tennessee from Virginia some years ago, after my FIL retired as he had decided to attend a seminary there to train as a priest. On arrival they went to re-register their (2) vehicles, as required, in Tennessee. They visited the DMV office and were given the next two registration plates off the top of the stack - I don't recall the letters, but the consecutive plates were numbers 665 and 667, which seemed particularly given the reason that my FIL had moved to Tennessee.

My own vehicles, registered in North Carolina, have registrations that I pay a small additional fee for each year, and carry the registration letters of the three cars I owned in the UK, so while run-of-the-mill registrations in NC are in the format "ABC 1234" mine are in the format "ABC 123D" and two in the format "A123 BCD". Very few people have ever commented to me on my vehicle's registrations though on one occasion when I had to phone to call for police assistance after a minor carpark collision, the woman I spoke to told me that I hadn't given her an NC registration number!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 29th 2023 at 4:04 pm.
Old May 29th 2023, 9:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My in-laws moved to Tennessee from Virginia some years ago, after my FIL retired as he had decided to attend a seminary there to train as a priest. On arrival they went to re-register their (2) vehicles, as required, in Tennessee. They visited the DMV office and were given the next two registration plates off the top of the stack - I don't recall the letters, but the consecutive plates were numbers 665 and 667, which seemed particularly given the reason that my FIL had moved to Tennessee.

My own vehicles, registered in North Carolina, have registrations that I pay a small additional fee for each year, and carry the registration letters of the three cars I owned in the UK, so while run-of-the-mill registrations in NC are in the format "ABC 1234" mine are in the format "ABC 123D" and two in the format "A123 BCD". Very few people have ever commented to me on my vehicle's registrations though on one occasion when I had to phone to call for police assistance after a minor carpark collision, the woman I spoke to told me that I hadn't given her an NC registration number!
Funny - good story.

Sometimes my wife finds it hard to punch in my number plate to insurance co quotes, ie they don't accept it.