Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Allergies and Asthma

Allergies and Asthma

Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:06 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allergies and Asthma

Just back from two weeks in Lesenceistvand near Tapolca & can take in air again!

Had a bad chest in the past but since I gave up smoking no problem in UK or Hungary at other times.

Does anyone know how long the pollen season lasts in Hungary as it could be a problem for me when I retire there. Armed with puffers & anti hayfever pills but still bad in the morning though seemed ok in the day.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergies and Asthma

Hi John, a good site to check out is here

Right now we are in the Ambrosia (ragweed) season and there is no doubt that it causes severe problems for asthma sufferers. We are monitoring it closely this year and I am ready to high tail it to the mountains of Austria if the levels become unbearable for my son. The season lasts about 10 weeks, the increase is noticeable for about 8 of those weeks and right now we are about two weeks off the height of the season. An air purifier in the bedroom helps and staying indoors in the morning and early afternoon, also my son was put on a new inhaler last summer and it seems to help. Zyrtec is one of the best antihistamines we have found, along with regular Serevent, Aerox and Ventolin inhalers. When you retire, you might be well advised to consider, if practical, spending the height of the ragweed season elsewhere.
Sorry I can't be more optimistic
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:54 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi John, a good site to check out is here

Right now we are in the Ambrosia (ragweed) season and there is no doubt that it causes severe problems for asthma sufferers. We are monitoring it closely this year and I am ready to high tail it to the mountains of Austria if the levels become unbearable for my son. The season lasts about 10 weeks, the increase is noticeable for about 8 of those weeks and right now we are about two weeks off the height of the season. An air purifier in the bedroom helps and staying indoors in the morning and early afternoon, also my son was put on a new inhaler last summer and it seems to help. Zyrtec is one of the best antihistamines we have found, along with regular Serevent, Aerox and Ventolin inhalers. When you retire, you might be well advised to consider, if practical, spending the height of the ragweed season elsewhere.
Sorry I can't be more optimistic
Thanks very much Rural. I can see I will have to prepare myself. I suppose air purifiers change from year to year but if you have info it would help. As you say, a short trip to the hills of Austria may be the answer. Maybe they will clear the ragweed?!

All the best

John
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:33 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John, there is a law aimed at eradicating Ragweed but unfortunately it is not enforced as stringently as it should be. The owner of any land or garden on which ragweed is found growing, can be fined. However, sadly there are always irresponsible owners who don't care or think, "who going to bother, it's just a few weeds" and so the cyle continues and it is spreading across Europe.
Unfortunately, it is people such as yourself and my son who suffer due to this irresponsibility.
If you had difficulty in the past couple of weeks then please do be prepared as the next 3-4 weeks are much worse.