Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Advice with purchasing property

Advice with purchasing property

Old Aug 31st 2018, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice with purchasing property

A point I just remembered, it is possible in Hungary to have the 'Right to use' a property.e.g. if a husband dies his property could be left to his children with his wife having the 'right to use' the property.this right is not saleable (neither can it be gifted) but the person with the right can rent it out.The right dies with the holder. The fact of this 'right' is registered on the land registry document for the property.

So it is important to check that this 'right' is not listed on the deeds and if it is then the purchase and sale contract must include the cancellation of this right. Often the person holding the 'right to use' will want some cash to relinquish their right, normally this would be in the agreed in the contract with the owner having the duty to pay off the rights holder out of the sale price (i.e.the price agreed is split between the owner and the rights holder to make up the whole sum) but sometimes the rights owner will demand payment and the owner won't pay from the agreed sum so in this case either the buyer pays (= price goes up) or the deal falls apart. (I know of a case where the rights owner demanded as much as the sale price because the property would essentially unusable by the purchaser unless the right was relinquished - the sale fell apart !)

The point is that this should be checked for when looking at the deeds prior to any contract signing.

Oh and it must be worth getting the deeds and the contract translated into English so that there are no surprises.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
+1 We have never given a deposit either and always paid in cash on the day in the solicitors office.
Not sure that paying cash is allowed anymore. I believe that transactions above a certain amount must be made by bank transfer...or so I was told by our solicitor a few years ago.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 8:41 am
Just Joined

macqureshi is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning all,
I have a plot of land on the lake that I want to sell near Tihany, can anybody recommend any agents for that area, they seem to be pretty sparse?
thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Most agents (all?) are now on line so you probably won't find a 'local' office.

If the land is agricultural then it will fall under the agricultural land laws which limit who can purchase it, If it is a closed garden (Zart kert) and has not been taken out of agricultural designation it would be worth doing this to get a wider purchasing audience.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on ingatlan.com and see which agents are advertising land for sale in Tihany...
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathyg
Have a look on ingatlan.com and see which agents are advertising land for sale in Tihany...
I have noted for the area, Malyi, I plan to move to there's much less houses for sale than a year ago. But I'm visiting this August so should be able to see for myself whether there really are much less houses for sale. I may have to look at other nearby villages or rent until the right house comes on the market.