Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

What grocery type things cant you get in Goa?

What grocery type things cant you get in Goa?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

John Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really nice
Default Re: What grocery type things cant you get in Goa?

we drink red wine every day virtually but in 23 days in goa along with 2 months last year and then months in france, i drunk less than a bottle, its a bit too hot for red wine.

white wine spritzers etc. vodka is cheap, with orange or soda, tonic too sweet.

adapt

kat
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

ContessaQ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hemingway
ContessaQ,

Will locals (Goans) sell a 2nd hand car or motorbike to a white FN? Can the white FN buyer EASILY get the 2nd hand car/motorbike in their name? OR does no one/the Goan locals actually care about the paperwork?

Thanks

Hemingway
if u know who to ask, u wanna carand for liicence things just bribe the cops...cmon u lot u have lived here for far longer than me
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

ContessaQ:
if you are living here for a year then buy a cheap second hand car.
Hemingway...
Will locals (Goans) sell a 2nd hand car or motorbike to a white FN?
They'll sell to a donkey if it has ready cash!
Can the white FN buyer EASILY get the 2nd hand car/motorbike in their name?
I just went to see about booking a new Nano - the guy in the showroom (who has to be on commission) was very unsure about selling to a white FN - I showed him my PAN Card (needed to book a Nano) and my (Goan) Driving Licence: he said that in Goa (only Goa) a Driving Licence isn't proof of identity / address (even though you have to supply both to get one!!!), I then showed him last years Residential Permit and after a couple of phone calls he said - add a couple of utility bills in your name / address and OK.
Still haven't decided whether to book a Nano - you pay around 80% up front.
OR does no one/the Goan locals actually care about the paperwork?
No, no-one cares; the vehicle has the insurance (fwiw) and the 'fine' is Rs. 100/- anyway unless you look like a real tourist sucker.

It's just this damn silly British thing about doin' it by the book!

Oh! - and my advice is forget buying for a 1 year stay - find a nice Goan 'friend' and 'borrow' their car (for which you 'give' them about 2,000 - 3,000 a week as a 'present').

AndyD 8-0#

Last edited by a_f_d; Apr 21st 2009 at 10:07 am. Reason: pn.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

of tuna in salt water was 80rps from Luma and it is fine - you can also buy it in oil *

* Hopefully its not PRINCESS OIL ! ... sorry couldn't resist

K-C
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Can you pm me regarding nano purchase please. Interested to know your experience as am thinking of getting one too.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

vbcm3

Think most people have given you a really good overview on what you can get here and what to bring with you. It's always worth it in my view to try and stuff it in your case ( if you have room which I usually don't ). Especially cheese and bacon. Other things you will find a local version of which is Ok in the end. Even baked beans and fish finegers ( if that's what you want).

As for yoru children well am of the age I have grandchildren but have a friend with two young children ( 5 and 7 years old ) who lives not far from Candodim and go to a good local but private school.

If you send me a private message I'll gladly put you in touch with her and you can have details about the schools etc etc. On the whole I'd say tha Goa is not that great in terms of dealing with young children and offering facilities but no doubt you'll create your own contacts when you get here.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by erinsgirl
vbcm3

Think most people have given you a really good overview on what you can get here and what to bring with you. It's always worth it in my view to try and stuff it in your case ( if you have room which I usually don't ). Especially cheese and bacon. Other things you will find a local version of which is Ok in the end. Even baked beans and fish finegers ( if that's what you want).

As for yoru children well am of the age I have grandchildren but have a friend with two young children ( 5 and 7 years old ) who lives not far from Candodim and go to a good local but private school.

If you send me a private message I'll gladly put you in touch with her and you can have details about the schools etc etc. On the whole I'd say tha Goa is not that great in terms of dealing with young children and offering facilities but no doubt you'll create your own contacts when you get here.
afaik it is illegal to import ANY plant, meat or dairy products into India.
I suggest you check it out and remember that consequences in India might be very severe.

ymmv

AndyD 8-)#
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

A-F-D is of course totally correct. When you come to the Customs you will have to fill in a form about your contents of suitcasces and you are not allowed to import food such a dairy products. So bacon and cheese are not allowed.

I remember being cautioned in new York 35 years ago becaue I had an apple in my pocket and it was not allowed. it was not a pleasant experience! Believe me. It would probably be the same here.

However I find the old addage applies. Needs must etc etc.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:39 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
afaik it is illegal to import ANY plant, meat or dairy products into India.
I suggest you check it out and remember that consequences in India might be very severe.

ymmv

AndyD 8-)#
Neither can you purchase property
Everybody brings ham, bacon, sausage cheese.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:04 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by noni
Neither can you purchase property
Bloody Hell! Is that right? You learn something new everyday!

Just a thought, but someone ought to start a thread about property purchases. . . . . . . on 2nd thoughts, start one about bacon & cheese instead!

My favourites are 'fried, lean, smoked dutch back' & either Cambazola OR a really mature Cheddar. . . . . .

Regards

Hemingway
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:41 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemingway
Bloody Hell! Is that right? You learn something new everyday!

Just a thought, but someone ought to start a thread about property purchases. . . . . . . on 2nd thoughts, start one about bacon & cheese instead!

My favourites are 'fried, lean, smoked dutch back' & either Cambazola OR a really mature Cheddar. . . . . .

Regards

Hemingway
Hemmingway when you are an oap you miss your home comforts when being in Goa for six months . What some will do for a real bacon buttie!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by John Katrina
we drink red wine every day virtually but in 23 days in goa along with 2 months last year and then months in france, i drunk less than a bottle, its a bit too hot for red wine.

white wine spritzers etc. vodka is cheap, with orange or soda, tonic too sweet.

adapt

kat
Oh well :curse: in the budget you have until 12 tonight to purchase your wine at the low prices going up in the budget 2% like ciggies from 6.00 to night. and fuel 2p more in September. Beer 3p. from midnight. Back to the days of
home brewing, lager and wine.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by noni
Oh well :curse: in the budget you have until 12 tonight to purchase your wine at the low prices going up in the budget 2% like ciggies from 6.00 to night. and fuel 2p more in September. Beer 3p. from midnight. Back to the days of
home brewing, lager and wine.

BBC said they made mistake only 1p on a pint 12p. on ciggies.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

KIDO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Reading this thread I suppose one can get anything in Goa if one has the "dosh". The only thing one cannot get even after paying the dosh is "honesty"...:curse:.....:curse:
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by KIDO
Hi Everyone

Reading this thread I suppose one can get anything in Goa if one has the "dosh". The only thing one cannot get even after paying the dosh is "honesty"...:curse:.....:curse:

Kido - you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.