Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

What grocery type things cant you get in Goa?

What grocery type things cant you get in Goa?

Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

John Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really nice
Default Re: What grocery type things cant you get in Goa?

dont fret peeps, when we are over for a longer stay i will be smoking bacon!! or dry curing it. what with the wine kits you can get now i feel a homebrew coming on.

did you know that in the uk you are allowed to distill 10 litres of spirit a day.feel that one coming on too.

lol kat
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John Katrina
dont fret peeps, when we are over for a longer stay i will be smoking bacon!! or dry curing it. what with the wine kits you can get now i feel a homebrew coming on.

did you know that in the uk you are allowed to distill 10 litres of spirit a day.feel that one coming on too.

lol kat
well that's news to me.
In portugal you can / could distill iirc 20 litres a year for your own use.
Unless this is a new EC directive or something then distilling even 1/2 litre in the UK could put you in jail!

AndyD 8-)#

P.S. the first 5 gals of beer I brewed in the UK was technically illegal (you needed an excise licence but they didn't want to know for a few runs of homebrew).
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

John Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really nice

needless to say them up there have kept it very quite. i will double check and get back to you. although the person that told me is one of those people that know there stuff. watch this space. no point doing it there but here, especially as i like vodka.

kat
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=John Katrina;7509630]dont fret peeps, when we are over for a longer stay i will be smoking bacon!! or dry curing it. what with the wine kits you can get now i feel a homebrew coming on.

So you are going to fill your suitcase with wine kits.
So much easier to make it with the natural things you can get here - google wine making and just bring the little things you can't get here like finings etc.
My grandmother and mother - must say that unlike me were teetotal - used to make lots of wines as a hobby and used natural things like potato peelings, many fruits and veg and my mother used to tap the silver birch trees in our garden to make wine.
We did have very good family parties in those days and many a time there would be a lound bang in the middle of the night when one of the bottles exploded.
Goodness that is going back some time but can still taste the elderberry wine.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:29 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this. This crazy old bat lives across the road from us. She and her husband worked abroad all their lives and are now in wealthy retirement and consider themselves very much the local "nobs".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_DrhbxSVU
You will probably not be surprised to hear that we brought out a couple of home wine-making books (Making from scratch that is............have you never tasted Scratch Wine, once you have you'll be itching for more!) so they are available to borrow.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:39 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
Have a look at this. This crazy old bat lives across the road from us. She and her husband worked abroad all their lives and are now in wealthy retirement and consider themselves very much the local "nobs".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_DrhbxSVU
You will probably not be surprised to hear that we brought out a couple of home wine-making books (Making from scratch that is............have you never tasted Scratch Wine, once you have you'll be itching for more!) so they are available to borrow.
Rubarb wine for morning sickness. My dad used to make it for me.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by noni
Hopefully the word "used to" no longer applies to our madam moderator.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:33 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well you never know what can happen to you in Goa
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noni
Never madam moderator - you wish or not
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by emsirrah
Never madam moderator - you wish or not
NOT.

What you can't get in Goa is Braun gas for curling brush/tongs, but who cares out there, only the two weekers.

Last edited by noni; Apr 25th 2009 at 7:19 am.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

You can not get good marmalade, we take a coupe of jars but it does not last long. Might try making it with the green oranges next season. You can make nice easy drinking light wine from cartons of grape juice.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

J5's honey and lemon curd - brilliant and for sale.

I make piccalilli and wonderful tomato chutney - not for sale but recipes next season.

Hope you are not going to smoke your bacon in the toilet like that bloke on the Living in India programme.

Noni - can't you connect your gas curlers to the kitchen bottle
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:30 pm

J5's honey and lemon curd - brilliant and for sale.

I make piccalilli and wonderful tomato chutney - not for sale but recipes next season.

Hope you are not going to smoke your bacon in the toilet like that bloke on the Living in India programme.

Noni - can't you connect your gas curlers to the kitchen bottle
Hi Em,
Did it look like I used them much you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

noni - was going to plug mine in and get gassed but decided to go to Val at Snips and have it done properly. Wash and brush for 200 rps - better than doing it myself.

Back to UK on Wednesday - staying for a stage play called Mod Crop which I am featured in (in the book but do not know about the stage play)
60's mods in Notts and Skegness -
Not on topic but anyone else there
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:40 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Back to UK on Wednesday - staying for a stage play called Mod Crop which I am featured in (in the book but do not know about the stage play)60's mods in Notts and Skegness - Not on topic but anyone else there
I think the MOT is out on me Lambretta, the back tyre is flat & the chrome on me mirrors is pitted - plus me fish tail parker won't fasten anymore. . . . . . . . .

Hemingway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.