Time to leave Goa!

Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

darren vietnam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time to leave Goa!

I can,t quite understand why expats are still advising tourists to travel in to Goa when its a corrupt, unlawful and dangerous place to be.
I sold up and left one and a half years ago and have never looked back since.I get fed up with people saying it,s cheap,well let me put you straight it is,nt. If you know the places to go it can be for a while before the sharks get their teeth into you with the usual adding on to your bill or taxi,s ar,nt busy so we need to charge more. All local bars,taxi,s,shops etc will rob and cheat anybody under the skin tax law! I was quite lucky in some ways that i got out when i did, i sold my house to a pio and took cash out no problem but i,m sorry to say maybe one of the last, my advice to anyone wanting it is to cheat the system like it cheats you, sell up to a pio and move to a country that needs and wants your presence and it,s written in black and white what your allowed to buy or lease without them moving the goalposts every few months eg:

Vietnam:- Set up a government stamped and approved business 800 usd
qualify for a 1 year business visa 100 usd
annual business tax 1,200,000 vnd ( 63 usd )
qualify for buying land on a 49 year lease, renewable once, meaning
you can own the lease for 98 years
pay your electricity in your own name

Most taxi,s metered and meter, lead sealed so they can,t rob you!
bottle of budweiser 25 vnd, (80 - 90p) without add ons
Vietnamese meal 60,000 vnd, without paying for someone elses,

My freinds, and a lot of you know me "its time to leave Goa and stop living the false dream"
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice
Default Re: Time to leave Goa!

Sounds interesting Darren, but I can't quite get my head around the cost of your meal - 60,000 VND, when a bottle of Bud is 25 VND (80-90 pence)?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

gregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nice
Talking Re: Time to leave Goa!

Hear!!! Hear!!!
Sold mine, promising to buy another. Said I didn't want all my old funiture sold it promising too buy new, for new appartment, advocate fees, were all paid late, deposits all late, had a great time, moved into a hotel a couple of months, lived it large I think they call it. All Goans think foreigners are stupid, they think we find our money on trees, yes I lost money, not as much as some are going to lose, had a fantastic time. VIVA GOA brought all my cash back while coming back for visa. So I still owe Goans, do I not sleep, one day I will be arrested and deported to face Indian lawsuit of course !!!! Will I think back for Goa, one of the best times of my life, they are a fantastic people, not found anyone who who smiles so much for a 500rs. note as much as a Goan
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iain492001
Sounds interesting Darren, but I can't quite get my head around the cost of your meal - 60,000 VND, when a bottle of Bud is 25 VND (80-90 pence)?
sorry iain , forgot my three zero,s
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

And as for you Mr Gregit, fair play to you, your a star. Pretty easy to get one on them when you put your mind to it is,nt it. Oh and whats the 500 spot for, a taxi ride from candolim to calangute for a naive tourist maybe, thats once they ve already gifted a new cell phone and a new pair of trainers of course
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iain492001
Sorry Iain forgot the three zero,s it,s 25,000 and you only pay for one at a time
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

gregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Time to leave Goa!

i WANT TOO MAKE THIS STRAIGHT, I don't have a grudge with Goa, or Goan, they are different culture, background, whatever. They are that way, I left UK, because I fed up with with some beaurocrat telling me the size my banana should be Thought in a country where men climb onto power cables, from wooden ladders, without a safety helmet was, was freedom But the reality is Goan is nothing in Goa, it's not them on the power cable, it's not them, running the bars, these are all out of state. The basic Goan is chilled out JUST SITTING WATCHING LIFE, hoping some kind stupid foreigner will make life better for them. Few buisnesses are run by Catholic Goan, hence during Ganesh festival every bar shut. I was mistaken for thinking, these people just need the chance to make there life better, they want to make it better if you are paying, simple outlook They feel hard done bye if they work a full day, thats without the days off for some distant auntie who has died, or house blessin, some festival they have to go to. We earn our living or did for those who have retired, me personally, from not being on time to collect my daughter from school, obscene am. starts, cold dinner pm finish, huge gas bill that can't be paid until red letter day, I am not bitching but they have no concept of who we are, maybe then when they realise we are not all stupid, nobody gives us money, to give them, they they do have to put their lives out to earn a decent living, Goa will get on and tackle their pissing in the street, their crap roads, there beggars, maybe they can see nobody wants to be robbed 2rs. because they are outside foreigner.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

That makes more sense - was trying to get my head around what sort of banquet you were having on a daily basis. Reckon you'd need more than one BUD to wash that lot down.
Thanks for explaining.............
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:16 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregit
i WANT TOO MAKE THIS STRAIGHT, I don't have a grudge with Goa, or Goan, they are different culture, background, whatever. They are that way, I left UK, because I fed up with with some beaurocrat telling me the size my banana should be Thought in a country where men climb onto power cables, from wooden ladders, without a safety helmet was, was freedom But the reality is Goan is nothing in Goa, it's not them on the power cable, it's not them, running the bars, these are all out of state. The basic Goan is chilled out JUST SITTING WATCHING LIFE, hoping some kind stupid foreigner will make life better for them. Few buisnesses are run by Catholic Goan, hence during Ganesh festival every bar shut. I was mistaken for thinking, these people just need the chance to make there life better, they want to make it better if you are paying, simple outlook They feel hard done bye if they work a full day, thats without the days off for some distant auntie who has died, or house blessin, some festival they have to go to. We earn our living or did for those who have retired, me personally, from not being on time to collect my daughter from school, obscene am. starts, cold dinner pm finish, huge gas bill that can't be paid until red letter day, I am not bitching but they have no concept of who we are, maybe then when they realise we are not all stupid, nobody gives us money, to give them, they they do have to put their lives out to earn a decent living, Goa will get on and tackle their pissing in the street, their crap roads, there beggars, maybe they can see nobody wants to be robbed 2rs. because they are outside foreigner.

Little beach story - the fruit boys on the beach befriended "tweeker", they were invited home to his house, and had a fantastic welcome. Boy then tells tweeker next day, the man in the shack said you would buy me a bike
tweeker had a good laugh, and bought him a coke.
Next day boy came to beach with a piece of paper, on it was his bank account name and number, and said Tweeker could start putting 500 rups in.
We all fell about laughing.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:28 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Little beach story - the fruit boys on the beach befriended "tweeker", they were invited home to his house, and had a fantastic welcome. Boy then tells tweeker next day, the man in the shack said you would buy me a bike
tweeker had a good laugh, and bought him a coke.
Next day boy came to beach with a piece of paper, on it was his bank account name and number, and said Tweeker could start putting 500 rups in.
We all fell about laughing.
This'll give you a laugh, about 6 years back I sold a bike to a boy who sold tat on the beach!

Yes you did read that right SOLD.

And for a proper and fair price. It was surplus to requirements, reasonable condition (for anything made in India from metal) and he brought the money round in instalments until it was paid for. THEN he was allowed to take the bike.

And he was like a cheddo with two dandas having parted with his hard earned cash..........nice kid, with an appreciation of earning his way (migrant of course!)

Bit different from the attitude now, innit?
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:43 am
Just Joined

What we expats are guilty of, and me being one of them ,is forgetting the true good Goans, the retired people who helped to form Goa as a tourist state by investing their hard earned money from working long and hard overseas into little restuarants, guest houses that welcomed and truely warmed to foriegners because they were on our level, understanding what it,s like to not be gifted things and work for what you get in life. Then comes the bad out of the good, the offspring, distorted somehow by jealousy, greed and selfishness, a people that can,t seem to live with people that have more and then i ask why are foriegners penalised, why not PIOs that own vast amounts of land, hotels, jewelry shops who,s proceeds are filtered out of the state and not used to support it in the way expats pensions and savings are, let alone what we bring in via our friends and families visiting us, why it,s because this younger generation have totally lost their identities, their forefathers strength through honesty and hard toil, so it,s simple you blame the minority for your own demise, you bully people who can,t fight you in your courts, you cheat people who you can pay the police to overpower.One of the main reasons i left Goa was because of the way these up and coming muppets are evolving, groups of thuggish young taxi drivers hanging round on street corners harrassing tourists for fares, then when refused abusing them with swear words in Konkani, do PIOs get this abuse, no because they are baba,s, well let me tell you my little muppets, your baba,s are maybe more mine than yours because they were maybe born and live in the U.k. And whats that all about when you close off roads and bridges to protest about the River Princess and hold up banners saying"we got rid of the queen in 1948, why have we still got the princess?" strange, could have sworn Goa was a Portugese colony. And then i ask why you vote for MLAs that run around in Mercedes slk,s when most villagers don,t have running water in their houses?
why do you want 5 star tourism in a state that is not willing to support it,s own people from it,s spoils? Why do you send a tourism deligation to Manhatten believing your average American wants to trudge through Calangute market on a nice hot sunny day or stroll down Candolim beach counting the discarded single flip flops (why are they always the left one?) that,s assuming they can reach the beach before being attacked by a pack of rabid dogs? To sum up my little non baba,s you were given a good start by true Goan people who were loving and genuine people, people my parents loved to holiday with every year, don,t bother waking up it,s already gone!!!!!!! And i don,t mean the princess!
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

wallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nice

Without any doubt, this is the best thread in all of the forum.
Straight talk, straight to the point. Brilliant. English friend sold, or gave up, his pub last year. Now he`s like a dog with two tails in Vietnam. No robbing problems, no visa shit and authorities who appreciate Brits.
Someday there may be more Brits there, if we`re allowed to sell up and piss off from this dirty shithole of a place.

Wally.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

I have so much sympathy for all those who are threatened with losing their life in Goa, I feel every bad remark against Goan is counter productive to your cause. I have even had a slap from Mitzy Boy, they think they are bigger than you. You owe them, jealousy is uncontrolled, their chance they talk of us foreigners. How many times you bought a drink by a goan, in a bar, to find conversation comes round to they just so happen to have appartment to rent, run a restaraunt whatever, stopped on the street told how wonderful UK. is, to find they are agent for something. How many times we should be robbed, because of the colour of our skin, how many house staff play sympathy, daddy sick, mommy sick, can't feed this baby. They think we are gullible to there stories and we give a little extra, sure. Is that why we stay, never been Africa, but I feel many needy causes there if I want to support, they are drunks who neglect their women and beat their children, I had said to friends when first in India that Indian is twenty or thirty years behind, I also know that figure is just not supportable, money and greed is Goan trait. Where is all the money that ignorant tourists have spent? I know robbed by Brits and Swiss and Russian Coming back to UK has opened my eyes to Goa, pavement, road sense, wheelie bin(washed), shops with controlled pricing,law (iust got three points). Sorry knowing that lawyers, police, doctors (rubbish), ambulance, do have SOME controls on their obligations. I have told more than than I thought I WOULD, I am not bitter to Goan, But I can't wait for for next Nationality that I try to live amongst, not for drugs, sex, just to live my life and enjoy the sunshine with respect. AND IF I CAN CAN HELP ANYONE on they way brilliant. But I won't be deceived by natural Goan again.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by darren vietnam
What we expats are guilty of, and me being one of them ,is forgetting the true good Goans, the retired people who helped to form Goa as a tourist state by investing their hard earned money from working long and hard overseas into little restuarants, guest houses that welcomed and truely warmed to foriegners because they were on our level, understanding what it,s like to not be gifted things and work for what you get in life. Then comes the bad out of the good, the offspring, distorted somehow by jealousy, greed and selfishness, a people that can,t seem to live with people that have more and then i ask why are foriegners penalised, why not PIOs that own vast amounts of land, hotels, jewelry shops who,s proceeds are filtered out of the state and not used to support it in the way expats pensions and savings are, let alone what we bring in via our friends and families visiting us, why it,s because this younger generation have totally lost their identities, their forefathers strength through honesty and hard toil, so it,s simple you blame the minority for your own demise, you bully people who can,t fight you in your courts, you cheat people who you can pay the police to overpower.One of the main reasons i left Goa was because of the way these up and coming muppets are evolving, groups of thuggish young taxi drivers hanging round on street corners harrassing tourists for fares, then when refused abusing them with swear words in Konkani, do PIOs get this abuse, no because they are baba,s, well let me tell you my little muppets, your baba,s are maybe more mine than yours because they were maybe born and live in the U.k. And whats that all about when you close off roads and bridges to protest about the River Princess and hold up banners saying"we got rid of the queen in 1948, why have we still got the princess?" strange, could have sworn Goa was a Portugese colony. And then i ask why you vote for MLAs that run around in Mercedes slk,s when most villagers don,t have running water in their houses?
why do you want 5 star tourism in a state that is not willing to support it,s own people from it,s spoils? Why do you send a tourism deligation to Manhatten believing your average American wants to trudge through Calangute market on a nice hot sunny day or stroll down Candolim beach counting the discarded single flip flops (why are they always the left one?) that,s assuming they can reach the beach before being attacked by a pack of rabid dogs? To sum up my little non baba,s you were given a good start by true Goan people who were loving and genuine people, people my parents loved to holiday with every year, don,t bother waking up it,s already gone!!!!!!! And i don,t mean the princess!
So true the Goans of 15 -20 years ago, were friendly people who invited you to their homes, with open arms. We have helped a few families in the past, but as you say the children now expect things from us, and even ask for them. Unfortunately for them, we can see their lazy greedy side. Just because we helped with doctors and hospital bills for the parents, and disabled equipment for the home, does not mean we have open pockets.

Rabid dogs and stinking cows coming along the beach, eating peoples clothes and the rabid dogs urinating over the sunbeds. Then come the indians urinating in front of us, and the weekend T*t patrole.

The five star tourists do not see this, they stay in their five star luxury and do not spend any money helping the locals, in their small businesses.

Being 5-6 month visitors we have already spent £6,000 which includes dentist and opticians - so I don't think we can be classed as people on the "doles" even though we are OAP.

Wake up Goa next season is going to be really rough and hard for you and you only have your government and greedy locals to blame.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sheet, I thought I was bad boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.