Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Positive sides of Goa

Positive sides of Goa

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of
Default Re: Positive sides of Goa

Originally Posted by jose1
Goa is finished,squalor filth dirt corruption all abound ,plus rising prices ,get out while you can ,Indians moving into previously white owned flats refusing to pay maintenance charges ,nearest refuse bin is outside the window,disaster finished gone no more
tens of thousand of real Goans have left/are leaving Goa. Some have left without even getting anywhere near what their properties were worth, but were/are desperate to get out. What does that tell you? Anyone that wants to be in Goa today must reconcile with the fact that the future has no link with the Goa of yesterday. Vist Mumbai and Calcutta to get a glimpse of Goa's rapidly approaching future.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
tens of thousand of real Goans have left/are leaving Goa. Some have left without even getting anywhere near what their properties were worth, but were/are desperate to get out. What does that tell you? Anyone that wants to be in Goa today must reconcile with the fact that the future has no link with the Goa of yesterday. Vist Mumbai and Calcutta to get a glimpse of Goa's rapidly approaching future.
Very well put Wheatsheaf!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

But I love Mubai I really do.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Going back to the positive sides of Goa I have got lots - I hate the Government of Goa how they have forced us all into whatever situation we find our selves in re property (and we were one of them) and the visa situation is the worst application form on the net. - try Australia - it is so easy.

We first fell in love with Goa in 1984 and have visited each year since then and have stayed for the winter since 1994 - so we do have have positive sides of Goa but these days they do outway the other side.

Went to Carrefour today in Spain for a bag of Spinach and it was about 79 pence - in Goa I could have had an armful for 20 pence. Yes this is the upside of Goa - the food is brilliant, fresh and cheap and being a veggie it is the best place in the world to buy it and eat it.

The Navtara restaurant is one of the cheapest, cleanest and nicest veggie restaurant in Mapusa and for about a pound you can have the best meal ever.

I am not going to say much about UK bars and dreadful kareoke and sports bars as I hate it they are here in my once beloved Goa - get rid of the whole lot of them.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

The cost of the visa and all the hassle that goes with it is not helping Goa to attract tourists if anything it's putting them off!

Goa has much to offer but as my teacher used to say, "MUST DO BETTER".

Now lets get down to facts!

What is good about Goa and what is not?

Sunglow
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by emsirrah
Going back to the positive sides of Goa I have got lots - I hate the Government of Goa how they have forced us all into whatever situation we find our selves in re property (and we were one of them) and the visa situation is the worst application form on the net. - try Australia - it is so easy.

We first fell in love with Goa in 1984 and have visited each year since then and have stayed for the winter since 1994 - so we do have have positive sides of Goa but these days they do outway the other side.

Went to Carrefour today in Spain for a bag of Spinach and it was about 79 pence - in Goa I could have had an armful for 20 pence. Yes this is the upside of Goa - the food is brilliant, fresh and cheap and being a veggie it is the best place in the world to buy it and eat it.

The Navtara restaurant is one of the cheapest, cleanest and nicest veggie restaurant in Mapusa and for about a pound you can have the best meal ever.

I am not going to say much about UK bars and dreadful kareoke and sports bars as I hate it they are here in my once beloved Goa - get rid of the whole lot of them.
Sorry i disagree with your laast statement , many brits have been very successful in building up buisness to make goa what is was , many of them have now gone and the goans have tried to run these business now and are no good. people want different things when they go on holiday to relax, both men and women like sport and alot of people enjoy the handful of karakoe bars around the state, i for one dont want to go to bed at 10.30 when ive spent hundreds of pounds to go on holiday but the goan government have yet again imposed these restrictions on tourists by shutting of any music.
you can choose the places you want to go to so please dont knock the brits for running bars/restaurants as there are some really excellent ones and you dont always know they are british or FN run as they often put indian managers in them.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:50 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emsirrah
Originally Posted by poppetjay
Sorry i disagree with your laast statement , many brits have been very successful in building up buisness to make goa what is was , many of them have now gone and the goans have tried to run these business now and are no good. people want different things when they go on holiday to relax, both men and women like sport and alot of people enjoy the handful of karakoe bars around the state, i for one dont want to go to bed at 10.30 when ive spent hundreds of pounds to go on holiday but the goan government have yet again imposed these restrictions on tourists by shutting of any music.
you can choose the places you want to go to so please dont knock the brits for running bars/restaurants as there are some really excellent ones and you dont always know they are british or FN run as they often put indian managers in them.
I can see both sides of the above debate/opinion. All I can say is "it'd be a bloody boring world if we all liked the same things, hence each to their own"

Regards

Hemingway.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

LATE NIGHT MUSIC

While the tourists are on holiday and can sleep in till late the local working people with school children retire and rise early.

What time should the cut off point be for music in a residential area such of say Candolim?

Again what is good and what is bad in terms of Goa?

Sunglow.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:43 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Positives about Goa for OH & I: (not in any particular order)

1) Guaranteed sunshine!

2) Motorbike riding with no helmet on!

3) Ocean front dining at beach shacks (as the sceptic tanks call it)!

4) Inexpensive/good value varied day to day meals

5) Relatively inexpensive/good value LUXURY meals (lobster/sea bass/tiger prawns)

6) Some GENUINELY friendly Goans/locals

7) Safety - I don't feel threatened even when walking 'home' late at night

8) Costs - I don't mind paying a Goan taxi driver contact over the odds as long as HE stops me paying EVERYONE else over the odds!

9) Inexpensive drinks - e.g. Pint of Carling in my local = £2.45 vs. a 650ml bottle of Kingfisher = £0.50 OR bottle of Gordons from the Co-op = £10.99 vs bottle of Blue Riband Gin = £1.70 approximately.

10) In comparision with the Caribbean & other 'developed' tourist destinations Goa can still be a relatively low cost destination - I like Caribbean cruises but when changes occur to one's own circumstances, one has to make adjustments to things like holidays. We have, but Goa still feels like a 'good vacation experience' (the septic tanks are in again) & we don't like 'Summer' holidays - can't see the point of going away in the Summer when the days are long in the UK & there is a slim chance that the weather will be 'reasonable' at best!

For all those 'scoffing' at the above - go ahead! We go to South Goa & that's how I see it.

Regards

Hemingway.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:16 am
Banned

jose1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Positive sides of Goa?,do not make me laff,its a filthy rubbish laden dump,where one can buy cheap vegetables with the stink of human urine stinging ones nostrils, outside walls of public urinals are used,instead of the internal,women if full view of the public spread their legs standing up to urinate,the vegetable restaurant in Mapsua,good for food? just a few hundred yards away the fithly rubbish strewn bus station where dead bodies lie frequently for hours,before discovery,any cut or opening on the feet turns septic through s..t and piss infected rain water,waiting for service takes hours,the whole rotten mess is beyond repair ,it will get far far worse,but the one salvation is the sea,whole acreages are getting swallowed by the sea Candolim beach up to Baga in the next 2 years will vanish.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sunglow
LATE NIGHT MUSIC

While the tourists are on holiday and can sleep in till late the local working people with school children retire and rise early.

What time should the cut off point be for music in a residential area such of say Candolim?

Again what is good and what is bad in terms of Goa?

Sunglow.
They promote goa as a tourist destination the locals want the revenue from the tourist they cant have it both ways, why do you think so many thousands of tourists arent returning, again i hear people complaining because they are there for 6 months at a time and dont like the noise, the locals can have 7 months peace and quiet out of season and could earn good money in the season, but no they want their cake and eat it too. soon there wont be any cake left.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jose1
Positive sides of Goa?,do not make me laff,its a filthy rubbish laden dump,where one can buy cheap vegetables with the stink of human urine stinging ones nostrils, outside walls of public urinals are used,instead of the internal,women if full view of the public spread their legs standing up to urinate,the vegetable restaurant in Mapsua,good for food? just a few hundred yards away the fithly rubbish strewn bus station where dead bodies lie frequently for hours,before discovery,any cut or opening on the feet turns septic through s..t and piss infected rain water,waiting for service takes hours,the whole rotten mess is beyond repair ,it will get far far worse,but the one salvation is the sea,whole acreages are getting swallowed by the sea Candolim beach up to Baga in the next 2 years will vanish.
Have visited Mapsua Market many times. I would say it is not really a tourist area but more of a working market for the local people. However, I agree, this is one of the areas that does need cleaning up big time including the dried up river bed by the side of the marketwhich often pogs to the high heavens. Come on Goa! Action is needed in the way of a massive clean up here.

If there are such happenings occurring at the urinal area then it needs policing or a security guard.

How come there are dead bodies left about then? Are these people just being dumped there or what?

Hope the Goan authorities are reading some of these issues that are being sent in. This is what it needs for people to rasie these issues and make it known what is wrong with Goa then the issues can be addressed and acted on.

Sunglow.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:32 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunglow
Have visited Mapsua Market many times. I would say it is not really a tourist area but more of a working market for the local people. However, I agree, this is one of the areas that does need cleaning up big time including the dried up river bed by the side of the marketwhich often pogs to the high heavens. Come on Goa! Action is needed in the way of a massive clean up here.

Sunglow.
And this is not really a tourist forum, thats why it is called BritishExpats!

And Expats have to use the local markets throughout the year. We do not "visit the market many times", we shop there several times a week, 52 weeks a year, and its horrific!

And during the monsoon period, a visit to Mapusa market means a thorough washing of feet and footwear with disinfectant when you get home.

And the "dried up river bed" is a purpose built, man-made, open sewer......deliberate!

And the dead bodies belong to derelicts, drunks, beggars, dossers, and generally they are inconsiderate enough to expire on the spot. Such is the caring nature of this place, they are left to fester.

Indians will piss anywhere and everywhere. Always have done, always will. Its genetic. If they put a security guard in charge (muffled laughter) they would probably piss on him too!

The Goa government acting on issues like this? Now there's an interesting concept. This bunch of corrupt buffoons have not acted on any issue that did not directly affect their survival in power for years, and believe me, they are not going to start anytime soon..................
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

I have heard it referred to the "Smelly River" and was under the impression it was a dried out river bed. This site wants filling in and a new toliet block to be built. Some of the local people may not know any different, this open sewer has probably been there since the year dot.

Re the dead bodies. This is shocking! A homeless shelter should be set up for these poor people.

The Goan Government needs to do their bit to help here. Hope do their duty to the people and do what is right.

Sunglow.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:33 am
Banned

Sukumar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnny five
And this is not really a tourist forum, thats why it is called BritishExpats!

And Expats have to use the local markets throughout the year. We do not "visit the market many times", we shop there several times a week, 52 weeks a year, and its horrific!

And during the monsoon period, a visit to Mapusa market means a thorough washing of feet and footwear with disinfectant when you get home.

And the "dried up river bed" is a purpose built, man-made, open sewer......deliberate!

And the dead bodies belong to derelicts, drunks, beggars, dossers, and generally they are inconsiderate enough to expire on the spot. Such is the caring nature of this place, they are left to fester.

Indians will piss anywhere and everywhere. Always have done, always will. Its genetic. If they put a security guard in charge (muffled laughter) they would probably piss on him too!

The Goa government acting on issues like this? Now there's an interesting concept. This bunch of corrupt buffoons have not acted on any issue that did not directly affect their survival in power for years, and believe me, they are not going to start anytime soon..................
if this how u feel about goa and indians, why do you wish to stay here and keep on ranting about its negatives - u are welcome to leave and not come back.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.