Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Popular eat outs in Goa...

Popular eat outs in Goa...

Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Popular eat outs in Goa...

Originally Posted by iain492001
Must look out for these... Any idea of the local Konkani name?
Local Konkani name is Nogli. See above post for a recipe.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
Local Konkani name is Nogli. See above post for a recipe.
Sorry, senior moment - of course I saw the post & liked the site link. Reminded me of "Aayi's Recipes' website.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iain492001
Sorry, senior moment - of course I saw the post & liked the site link. Reminded me of "Aayi's Recipes' website.
Agree, the photos are so tempting.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

Originally Posted by cbc
Thanks Chameleons for checking out the new location for the oriental Thai I will be for sure having dinner there in Nov and recommend others try too!
Thanks!
Latest on Oriental/Molly Malone's - Oriental will definitely be located back at the Hotel Mira. Molly Malone's has just closed for "6 weeks for refurbishment", whatever that might mean!

Chameleons.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:23 am
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road

Great new's about the Oriental Thai. Thanks.
A friend of mine recommends Samovar in Anjuna and ciao bella Italian.
Anyone been to these?
I will go to Mollys Malones as its a pub style place, any one recommend a lively pub place in the North?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

naranala is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Samovar in Anjuna and Ciao Bella in Badem are very nice places to eat. I go there at least once a week.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

So pleased that TOP NOSH in Candolim opened last night (15/10). Steak as great as ever!!!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

Originally Posted by cbc
Great new's about the Oriental Thai. Thanks.
A friend of mine recommends Samovar in Anjuna and ciao bella Italian.
Anyone been to these?
I will go to Mollys Malones as its a pub style place, any one recommend a lively pub place in the North?
Ciao Bella is a particular favourite of ours. They will be closed for a couple of weeks from November 11th (I think) as they are on a visa run!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:40 am
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chameleons
Ciao Bella is a particular favourite of ours. They will be closed for a couple of weeks from November 11th (I think) as they are on a visa run!
Oh that's bad luck for me then I arrive 2nd week of nov, if you can get 100 percent dates when they are closing would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Back to Goa 2 weeks ago, staying in Varca area at the moment, went to Johncys (Benaulim) for Sunday lunch yesterday, not sophisticated like your Northern places but always relaxing.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cbc
Oh that's bad luck for me then I arrive 2nd week of nov, if you can get 100 percent dates when they are closing would be much appreciated.
Just for you, we went to Ciao Bella last night. The OH pointed out that the telephone has been invented but they just don't taste the same. Anyway, they will be closed from November 9th to November 25th (they are always closed on a Monday). Another lovely meal! Just in case you do make it there, it is not a place for the strictly carnivorous! The have one breast of chicken dish, gnocchi Bolognaise and pasta Bolognaise though they do normally have a meat dish on the daily specials (which normally consist of 1 starter, 1 main and 1 dessert).

Back to the Molly Malone's and Oriental discussion, one place you might like to try in that area is Lazydays Cafe which has moved from CSM road. The place has been done out really nicely, it has a lovely ambience and the food is nice but ordinary (starters are pretty much all freezer to fryer). For the best location, Thalassa (Little Vagator) is now open.

Have a good trip!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

Went out to Ruchira last night in Mapusa, beautiful as always, Tandoori chicken and Cheese/Garlic Naan.

This Restaurant Menu is up to date

Will try a few more next week.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poipleshadow
Went out to Ruchira last night in Mapusa, beautiful as always, Tandoori chicken and Cheese/Garlic Naan.

This Restaurant Menu is up to date

Will try a few more next week.
Always good there!
Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

BEWARE - BASA EPIDEMIC!

It seems that more and more restaurants are now using basa (a.k.a. pangasius fillet or Vietnamese river fish) as their unspecified 'fish'. From the restaurants point of view, this is a good product because there is no waste, it comes at Rs.300/- per kilo and they can price all the 'fish' dishes on the menu BUT IT IS FROZEN FISH!

Not a bad product from the customer point of view if it comes battered, say in fish and chips, fish fingers, etc. Quite nice because it is a very moist fish. However, I am not happy when I see a dish on a menu that is to be executed using either kingfish or sea bass and the waiter tells me, with a big smile, that the fish will be basa. No! It won't! It is a bland, tasteless fish and I want kingfish, modso, ladyfish, chonuk, shark, salmon or any of the other beautiful fish caught FRESH in Goa's waters.

Is it just me?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you completely regarding Basa. Its a freshwater Catfish that is commercially grown in fish ponds. To me its too rubbery and bland for anything other than stir frying.Even in batter all you can taste is the batter, not the fish.
Im thinking of bringing dried salt cod with me as i have tasted it before when a neighbor of mine from the West Indies gave me some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.