Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by johnny five
£1000 per month? Per month?

Where the heck is this thread going?

See Noni's post 17. At least in the above place you get your cleaning done TV, free broadband and breakfast.
I wouldn't want to stay for long though, we spent 10 days there (at a lower price) this last trip before leaving for UK and I was quite bored.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:31 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

My fault started to talk about business class flights,, now £1,000 a month, for Goa!!!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevebenaulim
My fault started to talk about business class flights,, now £1,000 a month, for Goa!!!!!!
As everywhere you get what you pay for!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:09 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by Bipat
As everywhere you get what you pay for!!!
Now this I do agree with!

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to spend time (2 weeks or 6 months!) in Goa and endure/enjoy a significantly lower standard of living than they do at home:

Yes the electricity supply can be temperamental but this isn't a total nightmare & a phase switch will help as can an inverter. Candle light can be fun!

A water filter/purifier all but negates the need for bottled water.

An oven & hob complete with gas bottle lets you cook your own meals when you don't fancy going out.

Modern fridge freezers are just as good as in the UK as are modern washing machines.

Tata sky or Dish tv is a damn site cheaper than the UK.

Decent mattresses are very comfortable as are cane sofas with a decent depth of foam cushioning on them.

An a/c bedroom is very useful if you are going to be there in April - even cold showers are nice in April but a water heater is useful in January if you don't fancy what feels like a really cold shower.

100% cotton bedding, crockery, pans & cutlery just about complete the package.

I know we are talking about India & let's be honest about it, value for money is a big part of the reason for going to Goa.

It would be interesting to hear how much people are paying and/or expect to pay for the facilities described above?

If you are expecting to pay a tenner a night for the above, then quite frankly I think you are "taking the piss" - but hey ho that's just my opinion.

H.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:32 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
That is privately - Highland don't do long lets.

AndyD 8-)₹

Beach friends have been renting privately there for approx £1000 per month for four months.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by noni
How was your stay in Goa this season?
We are still here and loving it as always. Like everywhere in the world places change and sometimes not as we would like them too. Yes there are more Russians, the prices have increased and rentals too have risen, there is more rubbish and and attitudes have changed BUT on a day to day basis life here is fun, unexpected, raw and very diverse. That, to me, makes it well worth spending our time here. We have just visited Dehli and that was great too. So much to see and do there. We are staying for some of the monsoon this year so will report back.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Sun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really nice

Originally Posted by hemingway
Now this I do agree with!

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to spend time (2 weeks or 6 months!) in Goa and endure/enjoy a significantly lower standard of living than they do at home:

Yes the electricity supply can be temperamental but this isn't a total nightmare & a phase switch will help as can an inverter. Candle light can be fun!

A water filter/purifier all but negates the need for bottled water.

An oven & hob complete with gas bottle lets you cook your own meals when you don't fancy going out.

Modern fridge freezers are just as good as in the UK as are modern washing machines.

Tata sky or Dish tv is a damn site cheaper than the UK.

Decent mattresses are very comfortable as are cane sofas with a decent depth of foam cushioning on them.

An a/c bedroom is very useful if you are going to be there in April - even cold showers are nice in April but a water heater is useful in January if you don't fancy what feels like a really cold shower.

100% cotton bedding, crockery, pans & cutlery just about complete the package.

I know we are talking about India & let's be honest about it, value for money is a big part of the reason for going to Goa.

It would be interesting to hear how much people are paying and/or expect to pay for the facilities described above?

If you are expecting to pay a tenner a night for the above, then quite frankly I think you are "taking the piss" - but hey ho that's just my opinion.

H.
I think that Goa has lost some of its charm but for every person that says they have had enough and will not return there is another to take there place
My friend who have only been for the last 2 seasons think that it is fantastic and they rent through a local agent for 4 weeks the rent has gone from 16,000 per month to 25,000 per month for next season and they are still going to rent this apartment because others on the same complex are now at 35,000 per month
They still think that it is value for money compared to other places in the world
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:20 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Easy £1,000 month for ours.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sun Hunter
I think that Goa has lost some of its charm but for every person that says they have had enough and will not return there is another to take there place
My friend who have only been for the last 2 seasons think that it is fantastic and they rent through a local agent for 4 weeks the rent has gone from 16,000 per month to 25,000 per month for next season and they are still going to rent this apartment because others on the same complex are now at 35,000 per month
They still think that it is value for money compared to other places in the world
That's the problem re the new tourists,they will pay silly money which is driving up rental prices.We have rented for the past 6 years and have never paid more than 15000 rps for a 3/4 bedroom bungalow.

John
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:15 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcbrum
That's the problem re the new tourists,they will pay silly money which is driving up rental prices.We have rented for the past 6 years and have never paid more than 15000 rps for a 3/4 bedroom bungalow.

John
Well said John.

Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

afaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant future

Yes, and this is another downside to foreign ownership of property in Goa which the Goans will soon cotton onto and rabidly exploit. Be warned.

When foreigners start crowing on about the exorbitant rents they are getting for their unoccupied aprtments don't be surprised when the Goan backlash hits us all. Not only are you stoking rental inflation, to a Goan who cannot achieve such rents you are taking the food from his/her childrens mouths.It doesn't matter if your product is superior, they will never see it like that, you are outsiders and should not be making any living out of tourism.

Watch out for a clampdown on C Form registration and another cause for outbursts of Goan xenophobia which will only further damage the prospects of those foreign owners seeking a resolution to their ownership problems.

What is this anyway? Are you all trying to outdo each other how much of a mug you and your associates are in the amounts you are willing to pay over the odds, or extract over the odds?

You can still get an acceptable room with TV and fridge for 150 - 200 a night in Ximer, less for long term stays and thank goodness for that so that the place is not entirely turned into a outdoor geriatric home for those with too much money on their hands.

And by the way, what representations have the BHC been making with the new Parrikar government on our behalf now that the illegal directive to the registrars to shun foreigners imposed by the previous administration should be argued as having lapsed?

Last edited by afaiknow; Apr 24th 2012 at 9:07 am.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by afaiknow

And by the way, what representations have the BHC been making with the new Parrikar government on our behalf now that the illegal directive to the registrars to shun foreigners imposed by the previous administration should be argued as having lapsed?
BHCI are not even replying to emails. Not long ago they were pleading with us to go directly to them and not through MP's; ministers; HM etc. - I shall be contacting my MP again shortly!

AndyD 8-)₹
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by jcbrum

John
Aint that the truth.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:07 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

£1000 per month anywhere in India is obscenely overpriced, luxury or non luxury.
The cost of living in India and Goa is way below that in the UK and you can rent a four bedroomed home on a posh development in South East of England for that price - which is considered one of the more expensive areas in the UK!
I have no objection to paying a reasonable sum for good clean accomodation - but some of the prices quoted on here my friends is seriously taking the proverbial pxss !!!

Dread - x
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
£1000 per month anywhere in India is obscenely overpriced, luxury or non luxury.
The cost of living in India and Goa is way below that in the UK and you can rent a four bedroomed home on a posh development in South East of England for that price - which is considered one of the more expensive areas in the UK!
I have no objection to paying a reasonable sum for good clean accomodation - but some of the prices quoted on here my friends is seriously taking the proverbial pxss !!!

Dread - x
Obscene or not Dread, prices way above £1000 exist in smart areas of the big cities. More like £5000 in best areas of Mumbai!!!

This has nothing to do with foreigners, a rel. when renting, was paying £900/month for a quite ordinary flat in Pune 6 years ago.
It could be because buying with a mortgage was more difficult in India. (This is now changing).

Goa is different, post 23 was describing high prices for filth and squalor in Betalbatim, I pointed out a good hotel there was only £1000/ month.
However if you are only willing to pay the lowest price you will get a hovel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.