Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

D'Costa Palms, Siolim

D'Costa Palms, Siolim

Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Steve Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: D'Costa Palms, Siolim

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Steve ,

Dicky is away on hols, he needed a rest after being on this site for a few weeks.

To give you a quick summary, If you are a non resident foreign national you havnt bought anything, if you are an nri or pio things are easier. I suggest you read everything on this site and india mike part two, either way

When dicky gets back i am sure he will be in touch.

regards
douglas
Thank you Douglas, I'm still going ahead with my purchace and was wondering if anyone else was.

Steve
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

karlq is an unknown quantity at this point

hi steve,welcome ,ive purchaced a villa just down the road from your development, its a acron site,called villa eva. we are still going ahead with ours, payed my last payment on monday,we cant wait till march when its complete c u karl & jenny
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:27 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
noni said "We did everything by the book, had our deeds registered, and are still being investigate, and it is not very nice, the D of E demand you reply in 15 days and we have not heard a thing from them in around 5 months. The waiting is ............. stressful."

You have my sincere sympathy, but no news is good news. They had to be seen to be doing something for political reasons but if you went by the book you should be OK. A local politician is even on record as saying that those who didn't follow all the rules and will have to pay a penalty are not going to have their property confiscated 'this is not a banana republic'.
I think the opposite side of the coin from Duncan very properly giving clear warnings to prospective purchasers is not to spread too much gloom amongst existing purchasers (even Douglas!).
AndyD 8-)#
##:curse:
Yes! no news is good news, if I was like you and my husband, but I want to see the results in black and white, am not patient as you can see from some of my threads I am up at 3.00 in the morning. I have tried to be laid back, what will be will be, We all expect to pay a bribe ( sorry penalty) can you please tell me which site you read this on Thanks.

I don't know what to say about the Visa's I have been told by friends who have gone to the London Embassy with all their papers in nice tidy files - that they don't want to see them, and have been given 180 days tourist visa, I hope you are right that they are giving one year x. Another point not mentioned when we bought - this will start douglas off - was that we had to be retired to purchase. Now I know you are all going to say rubbish - but when we were interviewed by our Advocate, we had to furnish the dates we retired, as that (so he said) was why we wanted to purchase. Nobody told us that at anytime.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:29 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

ianalb I suggest you ask the solicitor if he would act for you in the matter and whether you would be covered by his insurers/ the law society if it goes pear-shaped.
AndyD 8-)#
Gosh imagine an UK Solicitors fees for the time it will take him
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Steve Martin
Thank you Douglas, I'm still going ahead with my purchace and was wondering if anyone else was.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Dont quite understand your response, are you an nri or pio or resident FN?

regards
douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by karlq
hi steve,welcome ,ive purchaced a villa just down the road from your development, its a acron site,called villa eva. we are still going ahead with ours, payed my last payment on monday,we cant wait till march when its complete c u karl & jenny
Hi karlq,

You havnt purchased anything either, so please stop misinforming .

douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

karlq is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: D'Costa Palms, Siolim

doug mind your own bussiness,not talking to you, nosy old git ,get a life away from the computer, the indians will still find you in the malaisian jungle ,who are you tri ing tos haft out there
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noni
##:curse:
Yes! no news is good news, if I was like you and my husband, but I want to see the results in black and white, am not patient as you can see from some of my threads I am up at 3.00 in the morning. I have tried to be laid back, what will be will be, We all expect to pay a bribe ( sorry penalty) can you please tell me which site you read this on Thanks.

I don't know what to say about the Visa's I have been told by friends who have gone to the London Embassy with all their papers in nice tidy files - that they don't want to see them, and have been given 180 days tourist visa, I hope you are right that they are giving one year x. Another point not mentioned when we bought - this will start douglas off - was that we had to be retired to purchase. Now I know you are all going to say rubbish - but when we were interviewed by our Advocate, we had to furnish the dates we retired, as that (so he said) was why we wanted to purchase. Nobody told us that at anytime.
Hi Noni,

Ref the retirement bit in your last para, i am not going to say rubbish.
In order to qualify under FEMA as resident FN, in addition to doing the 183 + days, you had to have an intention to stay for an undetermined period of time. So if you had to go back to work next week you couldnt genuinely make that claim.

That is why people who were retired stated they were (as i did) and we all thought everything was hunky dory.

However although retirement fits the FEMA requirement of stay for an undetermined period, it doesnt apparently fit the purpose to stay rule, which essentially deals with profession or vocation.

Now the authorities are saying retirement is not a suitable purpose, maybe it never was.

Moving on to the basic cause now, the more i am on this site, the more idiots i come across (Not You) and the more i understand why the authorities wish to exclude FNs.

Fascinating eh

kind regards

douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

doug mind your own bussiness,not talking to you, nosy old git ,get a life away from the computer, the indians will still find you in the malaisian jungle ,who are you tri ing tos haft out there
hi karlq,

Please dont be abusive, we only know you as the few paras that appear with your name on, as above. Incoherent too. Not a favorable impression.

You are constantly misinforming on a public site and i and others have every right to challenge you.

If you cant tell the difference between a lease and a sales deed, even when it has been explained to you several times, thats your business. As long as you dont try and convince us otherwise on a public site.

If you cant do basic arithmetic thats fine, as long as you dont come on a public site and try and tell us that £15k holidays are free.

regards
douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Douglas said
Now the authorities are saying retirement is not a suitable purpose, maybe it never was.
Are you sure you're not over-egging the pudding/ gilding the gingerbread there Douglas? I have never seen that said officially anywhere.
FEMA says 'any other purpose which would itself indicate an intention...' and retirement seems to me prima facae to fit that, and I'm told there is no case law to the contrary.
AndyD 8-)#
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:16 pm

Now children - Just thought I would mention about being retired, the developer made the point when we were seeing the Advocate to tell him we were retired. Quite a few of the others involved are a lot younger than us.

Wonder how Dicky is enjoying his holiday - and whether he has bought a holiday home in France.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas said
Are you sure you're not over-egging the pudding/ gilding the gingerbread there Douglas? I have never seen that said officially anywhere.
FEMA says 'any other purpose which would itself indicate an intention...' and retirement seems to me prima facae to fit that, and I'm told there is no case law to the contrary.
AndyD 8-)#
Hi a-f-d

How else would you interpret -

"As per the Ministry's instructions the foreigners have to spend their retired life in their own country"

"In view of the above, you are directed to leave india immediately within 15 days of the receipt of this letter. kindly inform the date of your departure as the same is required for onward submission to the Home Dept. Govt. of Goa "

Yours faithfully

(Smt Rina Torcato)

Dy supdt of police &
Foreigners Registration Officer
Panaji- Goa
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

noni said
We all expect to pay a bribe ( sorry penalty) can you please tell me which site you read this on Thanks.
iirc it was in Heraldo
I'm sure your lawyer will have told you this but if you are being investigated for some breach of FEMA the penalty is a fine (nothing about confiscation of property) not exceeding three times the breach.
The meaning of this is fairly clear in the case of FE offences but less clear in the case of property. One lawyer I spoke to said it was inconceivable that the offence would be considered as equating to the value of the property.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi a-f-d

How else would you interpret -

"As per the Ministry's instructions the foreigners have to spend their retired life in their own country"

"In view of the above, you are directed to leave india immediately within 15 days of the receipt of this letter. kindly inform the date of your departure as the same is required for onward submission to the Home Dept. Govt. of Goa "

Yours faithfully

(Smt Rina Torcato)

Dy supdt of police &
Foreigners Registration Officer
Panaji- Goa
I would interpret it as imaginative and non judicial (but compelling in the way that a kalashnikov or a jackboot is compelling).
As you and others have said there is nothing that can be done about such behaviour unless you have the patience and resources to take it to the appellate courts (to judge by the recent case, the High Court of Bombay in Goa is not High enough)

AndyD 8-)#
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi karlq,

Please dont be abusive, we only know you as the few paras that appear with your name on, as above. Incoherent too. Not a favorable impression.

You are constantly misinforming on a public site and i and others have every right to challenge you.

If you cant tell the difference between a lease and a sales deed, even when it has been explained to you several times, thats your business. As long as you dont try and convince us otherwise on a public site.

If you cant do basic arithmetic thats fine, as long as you dont come on a public site and try and tell us that £15k holidays are free.

regards
douglas
further to Douglas' confusion about documents that aren't quite leases or sales deeds (e.g. those referred to as 'Agreements of Sale'):
I have been collecting snippets from various Indian official sites for quite a while now and just came across this in my archives (sorry about the long post):

B. "PERSON RESIDENT IN INDIA"

"A person resident in India", shall include any of the following

(I) A person who has been residing in India for more than 182 days, in the
last financial year. This means if a person has to be assessed, as to
whether he is person resident in India, for any offence committed in August
2001, then he should be residing in India for more than 182 days during
April 2000 to March 2001

(II) Any person or body corporate registered or incorporated in India, or

(III) An office, branch or agency in India owned or controlled by a person
resident outside India, or

(IV) An office, branch or agency outside India owned or controlled by a
person resident in India.

However, in following cases a person shall not be person resident in
India", even if he is residing in India for more than 182 days in the last
financial year:

(i) A person who has gone abroad, for :

* Taking up employment outside India or
* For carrying on any business outside India, or
* For any other purpose, which itself would indicate his intention to
stay outside India for an uncertain period.

(ii) Similarly, a person who has come to India for any purpose except :

* Taking up employment in India, or
* Carrying on any business in India, or
* For any other purpose, which itself would indicate his intention to
stay in India for an uncertain period.

C. PERSON RESIDENT OUTSIDE INDIA

Simply putting it, "a person resident outside India" means "a person who is
not resident in India"
FEMA - more...

The definition of "Residential Status" under FEMA has gone through
considerable change. It has now been made compatible with the definition
provided under "Income Tax" Act.

The residential status is now based on the physical stay of the person in
the country. The period of 182 days as provided, indicates that it is not
necessary that there should be a continuos period of stay. The period of
stay would be calculated by adding up all the days of stay of the
individual in the country.

An Indian resident becomes a non-resident when he goes abroad and takes up
a job or engages in business.
IMMOVABLE PROPERTY IN INDIA

Earlier, under FERA, a foreign citizen could acquire or transfer immovable
property in India only after seeking permission from the Reserve Bank.

Now, under FEMA, the control of Reserve Bank is determined by the
residential status of a person. Only a non-resident as defined within the
meaning of FEMA would require permission of the Reserve Bank to acquire or
transfer an immovable property in India. The distinction based on
citizenship has been abolished and that based on residentship has been
introduced.

PURCHASE OF PROPERTY
A contract for the sale of immovable property is a contract laying down
that the 'Sale' of such property shall take place on the terms settled
between the parties in the said contract. Such contract for sale does not
create any interest in or charge on such immovable property. The contract
for sale does not result in any transfer of ownership. However a sort of
obligation is created in respect of the ownership of the property.
The transfer by way of sale must be in exchange for a price. It has been
held that price normally means money. The price can be paid fully in cash
or it can be partly paid and partly promised to be paid in future. The
price can be fixed by the agreement between the parties before the
conveyance of the property. The price is to be fixed reasonably.
If the consideration for the sale is more than Rs.100/- then the instrument
must be registered under the Registration Act, 1908.
(as amended, and Stamp Duty paid -AndyD)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.