Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wot, no Brit 'dregs' involved?

[QUOTE=hemingway;7410742]No, it appears not, only a nice Rusky, a teutonic Kraut & a sensible Swede - I don't believe it!

That's probably because all of the Brits have had the good sense to go home to blighty
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

John Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really nice
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

im amazed that the goan gov have not legalised raves/markets like anjuna for themselves. i feel sorry for the german guy who started anjuna market but he, with his knowledge of the goan way, should have realised what could happen.

has anyone heard a story about a couple giving money to a taxi driver they knew for 17 years to buy a property and when they came back he pretended that they hadnt and bought a property for his family instead. i think its an urban myth type of story. surely noone could be that stupid.

kat
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John Katrina
im amazed that the goan gov have not legalised raves/markets like anjuna for themselves. i feel sorry for the german guy who started anjuna market but he, with his knowledge of the goan way, should have realised what could happen.

has anyone heard a story about a couple giving money to a taxi driver they knew for 17 years to buy a property and when they came back he pretended that they hadnt and bought a property for his family instead. i think its an urban myth type of story. surely noone could be that stupid.

kat
Hi yes I have heard many stories like it.Last season I heard of a chap who let a goan friend of 15 yrs register a scooter for him that he had purchased,then the friend kept it for himself and when the British chap played up and called the Goan so called friend a thief the Goan called the police and had him locked up If you wouldn't do it in England why would go to a foreign country and do it.Crazy
GC
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

spangalina is an unknown quantity at this point

they couldn't legalise rave parties coz they are such coconuts, they couldn't work it out!!!! the Thais were smart and took it over for themelves in Koh Phangan, and its a rite of passage for every backpacker and also the curious and they are raking it in!! have just been travelling in SE.Asia and everyone was heading there or had been there. met loads of wonderful people and guess wot? nobody was heading to Goa and even the ones that had been to India did not enjoy. too intense.
the word is out, the goans and indian gov. treat us like shit and it ain't cheap anymore. 35p for a top beer in Vietnam, and went in a great resort on the beach (which put goan ones to shame) for $25 per nite inc of b/fast for 2 of us! they won't get my hard earned dosh again. anyone want to buy my luvly enfield?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

kat
Problem is that taxi drivers are the eyes and ears on the ground for sharks of all kinds. They know where you live, what youve bought, your vulnerabilites etc, and sell this info to the shysters, or take advantage themselves.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Quote - 35p for a top beer in Vietnam, and went in a great resort on the beach (which put goan ones to shame) for $25 per nite inc of b/fast for 2 of us!
th[/QUOTE]

Spangalina - will you give us some more info as I know some of us are heading that way. Done Vietnam but years ago so so much will have changed.

Maybe start a new thread for all of us who are thinking of moving on.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

kat
There is nothing to feel sorry for about for the German guy - Ingo - he made plenty of money in Goa and that was his little sob story in the paper.

Heard stories (true ones) like that and yes people were that stupid because they fell for the "wonderful Goan people" line.
Met a lady in the market a few years ago who had bought "the top floor of a house" and that is what she had literally bought - the top floor. When she arrived back in Goa they would not let her up there as she had not bought the stairs or the walls or the roof. I kid you not - they had sold her the floor for about £5,000 then wanted more for the rest of it.
She said she would take them to every court in the land and stay in Goa as long as it took. Saw her many times until the end of the season and she was no nearer getting her money back the day we left. Don't know if she got it as we never saw her again but some of these stories are true.

Anyway all the people who thought they had bought legal property in Goa may be thought of as "that stupid".

Last edited by emsirrah; Mar 23rd 2009 at 12:59 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another take on the beach party story:-

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes....ow/4307751.cms
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:36 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emsirrah
Anyway all the people who thought they had bought legal property in Goa may be thought of as "that stupid".
I'm not sure whether it was meant that way, but the above comment could be considered quite an insult to a good number of people on here. . . . . . . . .

If it was meant that way - Cheers, I love you too!

Regards

Hemingway
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hemingway
I'm not sure whether it was meant that way, but the above comment could be considered quite an insult to a good number of people on here. . . . . . . . .

If it was meant that way - Cheers, I love you too!

Regards

Hemingway

No - no way was it meant as an insult to anyone (including myself) - it was in relation to the article I quoted.
What was meant was that is how all foreigners who have bought property will be seen in the eyes of people who know no different.
Sorry if that is what you thought.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:53 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

No - no way was it meant as an insult to anyone (including myself) - it was in relation to the article I quoted.
What was meant was that is how all foreigners who have bought property will be seen in the eyes of people who know no different.
I wasn't sure - that's why I tried to 'tread carefully' with my post as I've never seen any comments of that nature from you on here before, rather than me "wading in with both feet" & getting it badly wrong!

I'm in agreement with what you say that many FNs who have "bought" will be perceived as "stupid" by people from certain walks of life and/or those who know no better.

Regards

Hemingway.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are so correct
Our friends have been running from bank to bank to try and Obtain two FRICs they seem to have been mis-laid by the builders bank,anyway the long and short of it is RBI said to them if you can get a letter form your builders bank to say the money came in through proper banking channels then they could help them swift there money out of Goa form the proceeds of their house sale.The builders bank said NO!! anyway he did ask my friend if he could ask her a question,she replied yes what is it."why have you stupid people bought property in a country with out doing any reseach"
"He also said I wouldn't dream of coming to Britain and trying to buying property without reseaching the law,and if I could"
I cannot repeat what my friend answer to him was,well not on BE I would get barred for life,That would please J5 but that's another story
In between her rant though she did say to him you obviously haven't been out of India sir.(He looked blank faced at her) "If you went to Britain you can buy houses,own businesses,get educated,and free welfare state"!!!.His answer was then Britain is stupid madam,I rest my case:curse::curse::curse::curse:

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Mar 24th 2009 at 1:52 am. Reason: Edited before I got banned,though that might be a good idea Innit!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:03 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
You are so correct
Our friends have been running from bank to bank to try and Obtain two FRICs they seem to have been mis-laid by the builders bank,anyway the long and short of it is RBI said to them if you can get a letter form your builders bank to say the money came in through proper banking channels then they could help them swift there money out of Goa form the proceeds of their house sale.The builders bank said NO!! anyway he did ask my friend if he could ask her a question,she replied yes what is it."why have you stupid people bought property in a country with out doing any reseach"
"He also said I wouldn't dream of coming to Britain and trying to buying property without reseaching the law,and if I could"
I cannot repeat what my friend answer to him was,well not on BE I would get barred for life,That would please J5 but that's another story
In between her rant though she did say to him you obviously haven't been out of India sir.(He looked blank faced at her) "If you went to Britain you can buy houses,own businesses,get educated,and free welfare state"!!!.His answer was then Britain is stupid madam,I rest my case:curse::curse::curse::curse:
Would love to have heard what she said to him can't you put it with beginning letters and ****.

Does that stupid bank official know that we are not supposed to have bank accounts, unless we have residency. Those who do for their holiday money should be closed when they leave. NO - THE BANKS LET YOU KEEP THEM OPEN AS THEY WANT OUR BUSINESS AND THEY TURN A NELSON'S EYE. :curse:
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:06 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Dear GoaCrazy 56
I would like to see you happy
I would like to see your property here sold and the money back in England
I would like to see you healthy, in every way
I would like to see you enjoy life again like you clearly used to do
I would like to see you able to forget this place completely
I would like to see you find somewhere else to spend a happy retirement

I would definitely NOT like to see you barred, ever.................
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

...RBI said to them if you can get a letter form your builders bank to say the money came in through proper banking channels then they could help them swift there money out of Goa form the proceeds of their house sale.The builders bank said NO!!
who asked them the builders or your friends?
I asked my 'builders' to provide FIRC's from their banks and after some delay they did.
Which bank was it (we should be told!)
I suggest your friends get their lawyer to issue RTI applications to the builder and the bank asking how the money was transferred (or copies of bank statements - my own bank marks foreign receipys as e.g. 'NEFT' which seems to indicate foreign transfer).

AndyD 8-)#

Last edited by a_f_d; Mar 24th 2009 at 2:21 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.