Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
Thanks I have been seaching for this article and could'nt find it is there any way someone can give us the run down on
cheers
GC

I have sent the article to you in 3 PM's - didn't want to type it on here as I got a slapped wrist last time I did something similar - copywrite etc.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emsirrah
I have sent the article to you in 3 PM's - didn't want to type it on here as I got a slapped wrist last time I did something similar - copywrite etc.
Thank you so much for your effort,It makes very interesting reading Your typing skills are better than mine it would have taken me all night to type that lot
Many thanks again
GC:thumbsu p:
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

No probs - OH watching the football.
Know how frustrating it can be not to know what is going off - they never put that section on the web and it is a shame as it is usually the most readable part of the newspaper.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Know how frustrating it can be not to know what is going off - they never put that section on the web and it is a shame as it is usually the most readable part of the newspaper.
Enjoy the game and thanks again
It is a pity we can't publish it on BE Im sure a lot more like me who haven't seen the article would love to see it
How about it Mitz.It really is relevant to our situation.That is those who are stuck in the property saga in Goa.This has not been published on line in the Herald where we get all our information from
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:08 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
Enjoy the game and thanks again
It is a pity we can't publish it on BE Im sure a lot more like me who haven't seen the article would love to see it
How about it Mitz.It really is relevant to our situation.That is those who are stuck in the property saga in Goa.This has not been published on line in the Herald where we get all our information from
Just this once, and pse attribute it to the paper / writer
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Hi emsirrah
Mizy said you can publish it just this once as long as it its attributed to the paper/writer could you paste and copy it
Im sure other readers who haven't seen it as the article is only in print would be very grateful
many thanks
GC
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

This from Herald in Goa - Herald 2day section - writer - Laurel Tuchy

"I need a vacation from my vacation house" was an exclamation overheard recently. The speaker wasn't a madcap jetsetter who spends her days dashing from 1 location to the next but one of dozens of British visitors who has unwittingly stumbled into a landmine when they attempted to purchase property in Goa. Foreigners purchasing property in Goa has long been a contentious issue in Goa. It raises voices, blood pressure, hearts and feelings amongs visitors and Goans alike. Tempers have flared anew as 2 British nationals are in danger of losing homes they may have purchased illegally knowingly or unknowingly. The 2 would be property owners have approached the British High Commisssion in Mumbai for protection against eviction. It is unknown what will become of them and their homes. In the worst case scenario their homes could be snatched and their invested money lost.
Many locals view British homeowners in Goa poorly. They see them driving up the price of real estate and pricing local workers out of the market, leaving them sentenced to a lifetime of renting a home or living in the family 'stead. In some peoples opinions the more homes that are purchased by foreigners the fewer homes that can be lucratively rented to vacationers while lining goan pockets.
Foreign people, many of whome give up their lives, homes and jobs abroad after falling in love with the region feel hurt and angered by the lack of acceptance by local people when they are refused the right to buy a home. They think - we spend a lot of money here so why can't you accept us?
Though laws about property ownership vary from state to state in Goa no one holding a tourist visa can purchase property. Those on a company, business or resident X visa, however, may fare better though the process is still an ardous one.
One way many foreigners have skirted this law is by setting up dummy businesses and buying a home under the name of the business. The foreigners may be advised to do this by shady lawyers or real estate agents or in some cases, may not even realise that this is being done on their behalf.
Another grey area where many foreigners get into trouble is that they never insist on seeing the clear title for their prospective property. They never receive the deed or title for “their” real estate, meaning they do not own it thought they have paid dearly for it. As property owner and long time visitor to Goa Nigel Taylor – not his real name – advised – Make sure you get to see a No Objection certificate before you agree to buy anthing. The Brit noted that some Goans are attempting to sell properties that they do not have legal rights to. British pensioner Carole Woodward who has been coming to Goa for 19 years is offended by how she perceives Goans as treating outsiders. Indians go to England or to the States and they have the right to healthcare, to education, to minimum wages, to worship as they like and to buy property. They have the same rights as everyone else but we don't have that here. The Woodwards thought about buying property in Goa about 5 years ago but now with the issues their compatriots are facing they are glad they didn't. Unfortunately its visitors such as this – educated, well spoken and who have travelled all over India that are now considering abandoning their adopted home. The couple can tick off several longtime friends that no longer come to Goa, opting instead to go to Malaysia or Vietnam, where they are more welcomed in many ways including being encouraged to own property.
Over the years the couple has had many foreign friends who have bought property or wanted, in Goa.
For most of them the process has caused them nothing but grief. About the issue with the 2 brits that have approached the High Council Carole Woodward said I feel cross for them They bought in good faith and the Goan sellers accepted their money. Why is it that only the buyers seem to be held responsible for these issues? Aren't the buyer and seller equally responsible.
Woodward sees a certain value to having foreigners own homes in Goa. It's better to have an owner who loves a home and is going to care of it than someone who is going to rent it out and let it become run down whether that owner is Goan or foreign. You get nothing for nothing. People tend to value the things which they have paid for.
A young Goan woman, Gazelle Fernandes had a similar opinion on the outside ownership issue. - If an outsider was going to buy an old Portugese house, I'd rather see a foreigner buy it than someone from Bombay. They both raise the prices for locals but foreigners are more likely to restore an old house and keep it looking nice while buyers from Bombay will demolish beautiful old structures to make concrete blocks of flats that they can rent out. Who benefits from this? The materials and labour often come from outside Goa and we lose more of our cultural identity she said. Fernandes has observed both Bombayites and Internations buyers scooping up properties simply because they seem cheap by their standards but it's not so cheap for the rest of us. The average Goan salary is only Rs 3,500 per month. With regard to the 2 Brits facing eviction from their beloved homes, the local British community is upset. The refrain from many that return to Goa year after year is that they are glad they did not attempt to purchase property because they might soon find another sunny spot to inhabit over Englands dreary winters.
Places like Malaysia would be happy to take Goas Brits and relieve them of their valuable pounds sterling in exchange for a patch of property in the sun but will Goa really be happy when they are gone?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:32 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Hi Emsirrah,

Thanks for the effort in typing this for GC & now for copying it on to the forum so we can all read it.

Regards

Hmingway
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just this once, and pse attribute it to the paper / writer
Thanks Mitzy my phone as not stopped ringing or my PC pinging since you allowed emsirrah to paste and copy the article.People really did need to see this
cheers
GC:thumbsu p:
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:47 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemingway
Hi Emsirrah,

Thanks for the effort in typing this for GC & now for copying it on to the forum so we can all read it.

Regards

Hmingway
Thanks Em, for typing this out, and Mitzy for allowing it, as we all know it is important to read these things especially when you are in the UK.

Any snow there yet

The other article you could not read last week is nowon http://www.goanvoice.org.uk. THIS IS NOT SWINDON - GO HOME
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

noni - this is the article I posted on here - the long one above.
They have copied and pasted from here - my little boy is in the corner

no no - not MY little boy - someone elses.

Last edited by emsirrah; Feb 1st 2009 at 3:31 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

A BIG Thank You to GC56 and Emsirrah for getting this published

In light of this I think another concerted effort by ALL to the Media is called for,MPs,Foreign office,Mumbai.etc

There seems to be some newbies on the site now so if you haven't contacted your local MP etc please do so

K-C
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by noni
Thanks Em, for typing this out, and Mitzy for allowing it, as we all know it is important to read these things especially when you are in the UK.

Any snow there yet

The other article you could not read last week is nowon http://www.goanvoice.org.uk. THIS IS NOT SWINDON - GO HOME
Hi Noni snowing heavy in fact it is 4 inchs thick here and freezing.
Enjoy the sun Hun!! and think of us all freezing you lucky person!!
GC
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Another article now put into print from the article Hemmingway posted yesterday from the goanvoice Nothing new but is this going to give them another reason to rob us of our saving we have poughed into Goa Methinks so:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:

http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=16565&cid=2
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Even this guy who wrote this cr*p has suggested that our Government should take back the land that the Goans have purchased in the UK.What a laugh,there would be a human out cry that Britain was racist.This jerk who wrote this knows Britain is a soft touch.
Come to Britain free housing, free medical care, free social security and free education into the bargain.This is a joke There are 60,000 Goans living and working in Britain,there are maybe 3,000 Brits who have bought property in Goa The Brits live and let live not like the paranoid Goans.
They don't have to ban the sales of Land this would be to honest they sell it to the Brits knowing that they can't register it or sell it this way they are on to a winner all way.
:curse::curse::curse::curse:

http://www.navhindtimes.com/story.php?story=2009020627

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Feb 5th 2009 at 9:22 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.