Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by Bipat
Remy you are right in the precise legal definition but the term NRI is still used by all including Indian Government to include all PIOs. The affidavit that my husband got in November 2010 to prove his Indian birth refers to him as an 'NRI' and refers to myself as therefore 'NRI' , this was signed by a Judge.
We had difficulty getting PIO cards as he does not have copy of original Indian passport. In 1970s these were kept by British Home Office on naturalisation and he did not think to keep a copy. Not worth the effort now.
The affidavit was obtained so that I can again get a 5 year visa (refused last August because of the stricter document rules).
Thats interesting because there is a real difference between a PIO and NRI but india being india it doesn't surprise me that they generalise whenever it suits.
If your hubby can get a photocopy of his parents/grandparents indian passport, he can still get a pio card which in turn would let you get one too.
It amazes me that a full blooded Indian cannot get a Pio card because of a piece of paper. An old Indian friend of mine who looks full Indian, speaks Hindi and Punjabi can't get one because he has no birth certificate.........yet you don't need to be anthropologist to ascertain that he is indeed of Indian origin.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Thats interesting because there is a real difference between a PIO and NRI but india being india it doesn't surprise me that they generalise whenever it suits.
If your hubby can get a photocopy of his parents/grandparents indian passport, he can still get a pio card which in turn would let you get one too.
It amazes me that a full blooded Indian cannot get a Pio card because of a piece of paper. An old Indian friend of mine who looks full Indian, speaks Hindi and Punjabi can't get one because he has no birth certificate.........yet you don't need to be anthropologist to ascertain that he is indeed of Indian origin.
Remy parents/grand parents never left India so no passports, as I said it's not a problem, 5 year visas are OK. Actually I made the same argument re looks at the visa centre, the answer was "just because he looks Indian doesn't mean he is Indian " said with a smile, it's not their fault, the rules etc.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Remy parents/grand parents never left India so no passports, as I said it's not a problem, 5 year visas are OK. Actually I made the same argument re looks at the visa centre, the answer was "just because he looks Indian doesn't mean he is Indian " said with a smile, it's not their fault, the rules etc.
Yeah, i was talking to one of the El Shaddai leaders recently and he told me that one thing they do is to get children in their care a copy of their birth certificate.
Apparently so many parents don't know the value and importance of such a document and either destroy or lose their childrens birth certificates and he told me that the Indian government will not recognise its people without a birth certificate, therefore it is probably the most important document to have.
I would imagine that without a BC they would be denied things like the BPL card and other perks in later life.

It would be great if Indian Embassy's adopted a common sense approach to visas, for instance if you look indian, speak indian have an indian name and have a birth certificate confirming Indian parents then your hardly Norwegian.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i was talking to one of the El Shaddai leaders recently and he told me that one thing they do is to get children in their care a copy of their birth certificate.
Apparently so many parents don't know the value and importance of such a document and either destroy or lose their childrens birth certificates and he told me that the Indian government will not recognise its people without a birth certificate, therefore it is probably the most important document to have.
I would imagine that without a BC they would be denied things like the BPL card and other perks in later life.

It would be great if Indian Embassy's adopted a common sense approach to visas, for instance if you look indian, speak indian have an indian name and have a birth certificate confirming Indian parents then your hardly Norwegian.
Birth certificates are more of a problem as they were not routinely issued for now-pensioner aged people particularly away from major cities.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:25 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Great News!

One of Goa's major problems to be solved by government action!

Garbage?

Sewage?

Corruption?

Malaria?

Beggars?

Over charging?

Nope, all the buses are going to painted the same colour!

This is so the operators can't take them out of service at weekends for picnics and weddings...........

http://oheraldo.in/news/Local%20News...ses/44566.html

Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Apparently so many parents don't know the value and importance of such a document and either destroy or lose their childrens birth certificates and he told me that the Indian government will not recognise its people without a birth certificate, therefore it is probably the most important document to have....
People in the know however (like e.g. politicians) take care to get their children several different birth certificates!! <g>

AndyD 8-)#
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

... the term NRI is still used by all including Indian Government to include all PIOs...
Yes, I thought that when I saw that NRI's are going to be allowed to vote - what's the betting that a lot of PIO's get on the electoral roll**?
(Does anyone know the political breakdown of NRI/PIO's - is this likely to benefit one particular party?)

AndyD 8-)#

** together with all the dead people, multiple identities and people with several previous addresses!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by a_f_d
People in the know however (like e.g. politicians) take care to get their children several different birth certificates!! <g>

AndyD 8-)#
No doubt many Goan families make sure they have some portuguese papers so that they can be one of the many applying to Portugal. A very brisk business we hear. (although why?????????? one does question in these days of Portugal being such a poor member of the Eurpepean community that it needs bailing out, why would anyone bother? No doubt, to get to the UK, that Holy Grail....................................... God help them. do they know what they are coming to??????????? They might be better back in Goa living on fish curry instead of benefit.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by erinsgirl
No doubt many Goan families make sure they have some portuguese papers so that they can be one of the many applying to Portugal. A very brisk business we hear. (although why?????????? one does question in these days of Portugal being such a poor member of the Eurpepean community that it needs bailing out, why would anyone bother? No doubt, to get to the UK, that Holy Grail....................................... God help them. do they know what they are coming to??????????? They might be better back in Goa living on fish curry instead of benefit.
indeed, never seen the appeal of the UK.......weather for starters is a killer for me
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:49 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Indian Diplomat in UK accused of wife-beating
10 Jan: NDTV. A senior Indian diplomat at the High Commission in London, accused of assaulting his wife, is expected to be summoned to Delhi shortly. According to a report in the UK's Daily Mail, Anil Verma, has sought immunity from prosecution after being questioned by the London police about whether he beat his wife at their official residence in December. Verma is the third most senior diplomat at the UK High Commission, after the High Commissioner and the Deputy High Commissioner..
Is India ready to refuse UK aid?

10 Jan: The Guardian (UK). Britain's review of whether India should still receive UK taxpayers' money may be cut short by Delhi saying 'no thanks' ... Since 1998, India has received more British aid than any other country, a total of £1.5bn in the last five years... India is the 11th largest economy in the world. It is spending $31.5bn on its defence budget and $1.25bn on a space programme. So why, in these cash-strapped times, is the British government giving aid to India?

thanks to www.goanvoice.org.uk
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:53 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fraudster.html this is why they want to come to uk.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by noni
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fraudster.html this is why they want to come to uk.
Who are the 'they' you are referring to Noni? Asylum seekers? Goans? Fraudsters?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:35 pm

Who are the 'they' you are referring to Noni? Asylum seekers? Goans? Fraudsters?
sorry I was referring to 3128.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:55 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sify.com/finance/governme...nukqcchci.html

Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:20 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-holidays.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.