Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:09 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by johnny five
Think you will find that those who lose, buy licences off those who won but never had any intention of opening a shack.
The sums of money involved are large and dramatically drive up shack prices.
The practice is not largely discussed as it is totally illegal and is supported by those in authority who should be stamping on it as they receive plenty of back-handers.
A few years ago, it was decided that all successful applicants would be issued with printed licence with their photo on, to be diplayed prominently at the shack. Needless to say it died out very quickly as it flew in the face of Goa's endemic bribery and corruption culture. Sad as it would have eliminated this ongoing farce in a single stroke.

Saw one of those licences you described a our shack last season.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:37 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Goan Crazy.

19 Sep: Indian Express. The Season is upon us. From Anjuna to Arpora, Baga to Colva, let the madness begin... British? Give them beer and fish. Never argue if they are bright red in the face... the low-budget Indian tourist is generally looking for cheap booze, topless foreigners and fried fish ... the circus is coming to town. Get a ringside seat

Travel Clinic: Plain food in Goa
19 Sep: The Sunday Times (UK). Bob Harrison from Swansea is off to Goa but one of his party doesn't like spicy food. Can you get plain food in restaurants? ...

www.goanvoice.org uk.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb81K7ABkB4
immigration song! says it all
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb81K7ABkB4
immigration song! says it all
Noni had you realised that this song is also known on the net as the 'BNP immigration song?' It is about illegal immigration. Could I respectfully ask if it is appropriate to promote such a song on an expat site associated with Goa/India?It may seem a 'bit of fun' but could be wounding to those from a country from which the vast majority of immigrants have come to UK legally (since British left their country) and have contributed to general economy, NHS, food industry, arts etc. etc. Sorry to be serious :
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Bipat
Noni had you realised that this song is also known on the net as the 'BNP immigration song?' It is about illegal immigration. Could I respectfully ask if it is appropriate to promote such a song on an expat site associated with Goa/India?It may seem a 'bit of fun' but could be wounding to those from a country from which the vast majority of immigrants have come to UK legally (since British left their country) and have contributed to general economy, NHS, food industry, arts etc. etc. Sorry to be serious :
Sorry if it offended you, but it is not the BNP version. I know that your family is of indian decent, it was not meant to offend the likes of you, but so much of it is true.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Sorry if it offended you, but it is not the BNP version. I know that your family is of indian decent, it was not meant to offend the likes of you, but so much of it is true.
My family is British Noni, my husband's is Indian 'our' family is mixed. 'The likes of us' I'm afraid are offended that you don't realise that the song is so not true of the majority of Indian immigrants and their descendants that are living in the UK. Disappointed B.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

My family is British Noni, my husband's is Indian 'our' family is mixed. 'The likes of us' I'm afraid are offended that you don't realise that the song is so not true of the majority of Indian immigrants and their descendants that are living in the UK. Disappointed B.
Hi Bipat,

Sorry that you feel disappointed! However, best not to take it personal.

A 100% with Noni, this song is so true! Many hid under lorries and chanced their life just to get to the UK for one thing, and one thing only and that's BENEFITS!

Banyan.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Banyan
Hi Bipat,

A 100% with Noni, this song is so true! Many hid under lorries and chanced their life just to get to the UK for one thing, and one thing only and that's BENEFITS!

Banyan.
Yes Banyan we know that some illegal immigrants hid under lorries.
This however is a forum related to Goa/India. Can you please enlighten me as to how many of the total of Indian migrants to the UK came under lorries? or received more in benefits than they paid subsequently in taxes?
Could I perhaps refer you to tarkacreek's post 2758 above (A letter to Daily Telegraph).

Last edited by Bipat; Sep 20th 2010 at 7:35 am. Reason: Addition
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

Yes Banyan we know that some illegal immigrants hid under lorries.
This however is a forum related to Goa/India. Can you please enlighten me as to how many of the total of Indian migrants to the UK came under lorries? or received more in benefits than they paid subsequently in taxes?
Could I perhaps refer you to tarkacreek's post 2758 above (A letter to Daily Telegraph).

Hi again,

Mmm . . know what you mean, but what this video is about is people coming in the UK, not having worked and getting houses, mobile phones etc. This is what I am saying best not to take it PERSONAL.

Banyan.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi again,

Mmm . . know what you mean, but what this video is about is people coming in the UK, not having worked and getting houses, mobile phones etc. This is what I am saying best not to take it PERSONAL.

Banyan.

Hi Banyan just one last point, when you read in the Goan Herald something incorrect and unpleasant about the British in general do you not take it as 'personal'??
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi Banyan just one last point, when you read in the Goan Herald something incorrect and unpleasant about the British in general do you not take it as 'personal'??

Hi Bipat,

What do you mean, please explain.

Banyan.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi again Bipat,

I have not read anythng incorrect and unpleasant in the Herald about the British in general.

Please would you mind explaining as do not understand.

Banyan.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Bipat,

What do you mean, please explain.

Banyan.
Hi Banyan there are frequent posts on BE quite rightly complaining about the generalised anti-British expat/foreigner rants in the Goan newspapers, i.e. you are offended (to put it mildly). Why do think that Goans /Indians and those related to them would not be offended by the posts criticising all migrants to the UK when Indians make up a large proportion of these migrants?
You are offended by the anti-foreigner rants, we are offended by the inclusion of all migrants under the umbrella of the illegal migrants and bogus asylum seekers. In other words both groups take it personally.
Hope this sorts it! (I am very behind with the packing).

Last edited by Bipat; Sep 20th 2010 at 8:53 am. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:59 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

So we have a comparison here between direct and specific , inaccurate accusations against BRITISH people in the Goan media, and that is supposed to be comparable to a general reaction against immigrants to the UK,
some of whom, might be Indian, might be illegal, might be offended, but according to recent posts, any reference to this on an India forum must be a slur on Indians?

THE GOAN MEDIA MAKES DIRECT, INCORRECT ACCUSATIONS WITHOUT ANY FACTUAL BASIS..................is this really comparable?

Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Banyan there are frequent posts on BE quite rightly complaining about the generalised anti-British expat/foreigner rants in the Goan newspapers, i.e. you are offended (to put it mildly). Why do think that Goans /Indians and those related to them would not be offended by the posts criticising all migrants to the UK when Indians make up a large proportion of these migrants?
You are offended by the anti-foreigner rants, we are offended by the inclusion of all migrants under the umbrella of the illegal migrants and bogus asylum seekers. In other words both groups take it personally.
Hope this sorts it! (I am very behind with the packing).

Hi Bipat,

You have your views and others have theirs. Noni's siad sorry if caused any offensive re video. Won't delay you with your packing. Wish you a good holiday and peace be with you.

Banyan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.