Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

Wikiposts

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:01 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by johnny five
Good job I am now unlikely to meet with an accident in Goa, the Ambulance service I was referring to is;
not 118, so if you have a mishap, please get it right, unlike me! Think I was getting confused with the sucessor to "Directory Enquiries" with the demented twins 118 118 etc?

Here is a link to their site (it dates from the launch in late 2008 I think)
http//www.emri.in/content/view/24/59/

Intertesting to see they will reach you in an average of 18 mins - from some of the stories I've heard, to achieve that average some of their call-outs must be achieved in 15 seconds! Also interesting to see it also calls for fire/police emergency attendance? Dont think that bit ever got activated in ZoS, did it? I must admit I cant see anything about it being free, apart from the phone call, but was sure it was? Dont think the bit about free hospital treatment for the first 24 hours would work in Goa either, they would just leave you to rot for 24 hours and 1 minute, then burst into frantic (and chargeable) activity.

If you want a larf, scroll down to the last section where they drivel on about the significance of the number 108......i

Especially liked "Silly reason Number 11)
At least we will instantly recognise Allah (may his name be praised) if he gets a bit part on the tacky remake of The Prisoner:
"Who is Number One? You are Number 108!"
" I am not a number, I'm a free man....................Oh and the Great Prophet and centre of the Muslim faith too of course!"

Oh b*gger, I feel a Fatwa coming on, innit?
I can see Milwart popping out of the cupboard - is he staying away as he does not have a visa? Getting him sorted before you start you tour of the UK - helping the aged.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:24 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

And following on from the Ambulance farce we have this:

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100346943.html

Especially liked the last paragraph.......

“We are planning to raise motor cycle response teams in the coastal areas to reach the emergency spot with basic medical and life support equipment,” Menon said.
Do you think they will give the pillion-fireman a lid for his bucket to keep the water from splashing out? And is there such a thing as a "fourth-world country"? And dont forget to respect your host nation!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:12 am
Lovin' it

goanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant future

Don't know if anyone saw this, or who knew him.

http://oheraldo.in/news/Local News/Brit-found-dead/35769.html

Another brit died here in Paradise.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:16 am
Lovin' it

goanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant futuregoanstay has a brilliant future

This one doesn't surprise me at all
http://oheraldo.in/news/Local News/lsquo-Boundary-dispute-should-not-hinder-action-against-illegalities-rsquo/35760.html
They can't even agree where their villages start and end
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by goanstay
This one doesn't surprise me at all
http://oheraldo.in/news/Local News/lsquo-Boundary-dispute-should-not-hinder-action-against-illegalities-rsquo/35760.html
They can't even agree where their villages start and end
I laughed when I read the article. It's an age old tradition (at least 3 centuries) in Goa where villagers either good naturedly quarrel over village boundaries, or break bones over it. That it has become a matter for the courts is an indication of the monetary value placed on land values today. It surely illustrates the removal of inter village rivalry from the hands of villagers, into the hands of big money, where in the past an inter village football match, or concert, or live debate on silly topics would have settled the matter for two decades until the next generation learnt the value of dialogue utilising the same opportunity. It is all too clear now, that a sense of humour, tradition and history has been lost.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by goanstay
Don't know if anyone saw this, or who knew him.

http://oheraldo.in/news/Local News/Brit-found-dead/35769.html

Another brit died here in Paradise.
This guy was the best friend of a good friend of mine, unfortunatlely he found his friend dead, awaiting results of a PM. this guy was very well known and loved by alot of people both goan and FN and had been coming to Goa for many years
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Brinks Matt has a spectacular aura aboutMrs Brinks Matt has a spectacular aura aboutMrs Brinks Matt has a spectacular aura about

http://oheraldo.in/newpage.php?month...=2010&catid=13
Think this lady has hit the nail on the head!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Sorry to hear that, Poppetjay. I didn't know him - perhaps just one of those persons you smile at across the aisle in Newtons or somewhere similar.

I hope his death is treated with dignity.

It makes you question whether registration with the FRRO should be mandatory - irrespective of how long you are planning to stay for. I know that hotels and guesthouses should register their guests with the local police, but one wonders how much of that is actually done, especially outside the so-called 5-star hotels.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iain492001
Sorry to hear that, Poppetjay. I didn't know him - perhaps just one of those persons you smile at across the aisle in Newtons or somewhere similar.

I hope his death is treated with dignity.

It makes you question whether registration with the FRRO should be mandatory - irrespective of how long you are planning to stay for. I know that hotels and guesthouses should register their guests with the local police, but one wonders how much of that is actually done, especially outside the so-called 5-star hotels.
Can assure you more dont than do fill in the FC1 for people renting their homes or flats out to FN's
But there again if not not legally registered with the tourism dept no ones none the wiser.
Alot of people dont register as it costs them money to do so!!! say no more.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

gregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nice

wasn't that bad then?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5789647.cms
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:50 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregit
Surprisingly, the directorate of tourism' s provisional figures contradicted TTAG claims to show that 1.32 lakh more tourists visited Goa this year than last year's 23.71 lakh tourists.
Not surprising at all, its called lying through your teeth to save your butt, innit?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

What do you expect from "officialdom"?

Just ask any shack owner / taxi driver / jeweller or tailor, and they will all tell you how bad the season has been.

After all, Indian tourists are not going to come all the way from Gujarat or Maharastra to Goa to buy things such as shirts / jewellery - nor are they going to spend big bucks in the shacks and on tourist taxis.

Of course, the new breed of Russian / former Russian states tourists will be Goa's saving grace - when they remember to pay, that is.

I read somewhere recently that India, despite its large number of World Heritage sites, could only rank 62nd in the tourist leader board, with around 5.1 million foreign tourists. That is a drop in the ocean for a country this size. I wonder how it compares to other far smaller S.E. Asian countries like Malaysia & Thailand?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:52 am
Banned

Iain
Please be careful here, you are at serious risk of not respecting your host country!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:54 am
Banned

Was told today that HDFC bank are now charging rs200 for cash-point facilities involving non-Indian cards......thieving gits!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

gregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nice

http://oheraldo.in/news/Main%20Page%...-PI/35749.html

Even the ants are on the take

White ants: The Crime Branch has now found that some packets containing narcotic drugs that were placed in the ANC storeroom (malkhana) have been eaten by white ants. Besides, some sealed packets were found in unsealed condition.

you can't trust anybody these days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.