Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Originally Posted by Sukh666
Hi

I was hoping some of you could help me! I need to kit out my apartment in Goa with all movable objects from beds to cups, and I was hoping that someone maybe able to guide me to the best places for bargains in Goa. I'm going out again in May to get everything sorted out.

So I was hoping for any guidance, links, advise etc so even before I land I have an agenda of where to go and shop! All help will be appreciated, and if your around the 1st beer is on me!

Regards

Sukh666
Hi The Number of the Beast

It would take someone very special like Superman to do all your shopping in one week....its impossible as there are no centralised places where you can buy everything under one roof. Its all here there and everywhere...you need at least a month. Electrical goods are available and are good value although you will not get the choice as in Currys or Comet. Furniture is more of a problem as the Goan furniture is a style of its own and the modern is modern for the 1950s. There are antique places that sell repro Indian furniture some of which is very good but incredibly expensive for what it is. Good luck and just keep to the maxim if you see something you like buy it then and there..
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:11 pm
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Hi The Number of the Beast

It would take someone very special like Superman to do all your shopping in one week....its impossible as there are no centralised places where you can buy everything under one roof. Its all here there and everywhere...you need at least a month. Electrical goods are available and are good value although you will not get the choice as in Currys or Comet. Furniture is more of a problem as the Goan furniture is a style of its own and the modern is modern for the 1950s. There are antique places that sell repro Indian furniture some of which is very good but incredibly expensive for what it is. Good luck and just keep to the maxim if you see something you like buy it then and there..
Yes that's true you would have to be super human to do it in a week, I'm paying someone to do it for me who lives in Goa full time which is well worth doing I can put you in touch with her if you need help.
Even with her experience there is so many delays/problems, shops just don't stock stock, furniture turning up damaged etc etc there is no way you could squeeze a holiday in between, nice thought but impossible believe me.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Sukh666 is an unknown quantity at this point

To all that have commented

Thanks! It's giving me alot to ponder. After reading some of the comments I do now agree that a week was slightly over optimistic.

CBC - if I could have that person's details that would be fantastic!

Due to work commitments I will not be able to travel till June now, and I'll be told that investing in an umbrella may be a good investment at this time of the year! Really?

Regards

Sukh666
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:40 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

To all that have commented

Thanks! It's giving me alot to ponder. After reading some of the comments I do now agree that a week was slightly over optimistic.

CBC - if I could have that person's details that would be fantastic!

Due to work commitments I will not be able to travel till June now, and I'll be told that investing in an umbrella may be a good investment at this time of the year! Really?

Regards

Sukh666
And wellies
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Good luck Sukh666 - most of us did it years ago, bit by bit & shop by shop. And the choice was so limited then.

Still looking for those Panjim shopping malls - finding a unicorn might be easier!!

I'm not too acquainted with Margao, which would probably be your best bet, especially for delivery to Canacona.

You should probably be able to get all your electrical goods in one shop, so ask for a bulk purchase discount if paying in CASH - they should also arrange delivery to you.

A word of warning - when you buy a packaged "sheet set" (double bed, single or whatever) remember that you only get 1 flat sheet and 2 pillowcases in the set.

"The Linen Shoppe" in Panjim (near Kala Academy) is good for towels etc. It's a small shop & easy to miss.

Happy hunting & welcome to Goa.............
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:30 am
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road

Hi

I was hoping some of you could help me! I need to kit out my apartment in Goa with all movable objects from beds to cups, and I was hoping that someone maybe able to guide me to the best places for bargains in Goa. I'm going out again in May to get everything sorted out.

So I was hoping for any guidance, links, advise etc so even before I land I have an agenda of where to go and shop! All help will be appreciated, and if your around the 1st beer is on me!

Regards

Sukh666
I've sent you a PM
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Both Margao and Karwar have on-line Yellow Pages so you can find some
e-mail addresses to make initial enquiries while still in the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

Originally Posted by cbc
I've sent you a PM
Me too!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 2:01 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chameleons
Me too!
I too have PM'd you. Also Fabindia in Panjim and Candolim have some nice cane/rope furniture. Which is very comfortable after you have had the seats and cushions upholstered - just suggestion.

http://www.fabindia.com/home-products.html It seems that their website has not been undated, but some of the furniture in the background you can purchase there. Have a look to see which branch is nearest to where you are going to live.

Last edited by noni; Feb 18th 2011 at 2:05 am.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Have always found Looms beside the Airtel office in Panjim very good for ready made curtains, sheets etc.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:34 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Another little tip....

Beware of paying extra to the furniture shop to have your sofa/chair cushions covered.
I saved about £50 by just having plain covers put on, then going to Mapusa market, buying the material and getting a local tailor to sort it.
Not only did I save money but I got the exact look and colour I wanted as well.

Another thing I did was get made to measure soft pvc covers for the mattresses - again made by a local tailor. This cost me about £20 in total and has protected the mattresses from damp during monsoons and also kept them bug free.

Dread - x
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:43 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I did was get made to measure soft pvc covers for the mattresses - again made by a local tailor. This cost me about £20 in total and has protected the mattresses from damp during monsoons and also kept them bug free.
Also useful when you have incontinent old b*ggers like Milwart to stay.............but you cant blame him, he has grown up in a society where you pee where you bee!

Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Another little tip....

Beware of paying extra to the furniture shop to have your sofa/chair cushions covered.
I saved about £50 by just having plain covers put on, then going to Mapusa market, buying the material and getting a local tailor to sort it.
Not only did I save money but I got the exact look and colour I wanted as well.

Dread - x
Local tailors are usually happy to make new mosquito nets, especially at the beginning and end of the "season" when business is thin on the ground.

Where did you buy your soft PVC, Dread? That sounds like an excellent idea, especially after the last monsoon.

I'm also looking for a tailor to sew up "fitted" bottom sheets from the gigantic sheet sets I bought in Habitat, Parra - I've never seen such huge sheets! Any ideas for a tailor in the Candolim area to do this? Or perhaps I'll just bring some over from the UK after my next "exile"..........

Cheers
Iain
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh - I meant to say - mosquito nets for the windows - I'm not sure about nets for the bed (have only slept under one of those once in Kenya, and found it a bit claustrophobic - mind you, it was very grey and manky - in need of a good persil boil wash !!!...........)
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iain492001
Local tailors are usually happy to make new mosquito nets, especially at the beginning and end of the "season" when business is thin on the ground.

Where did you buy your soft PVC, Dread? That sounds like an excellent idea, especially after the last monsoon.

I'm also looking for a tailor to sew up "fitted" bottom sheets from the gigantic sheet sets I bought in Habitat, Parra - I've never seen such huge sheets! Any ideas for a tailor in the Candolim area to do this? Or perhaps I'll just bring some over from the UK after my next "exile"..........

Cheers
Iain
Hi Iain. sent you a PM about Fitted sheets!!J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.