Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Sukh666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Hi

I was hoping some of you could help me! I need to kit out my apartment in Goa with all movable objects from beds to cups, and I was hoping that someone maybe able to guide me to the best places for bargains in Goa. I'm going out again in May to get everything sorted out.

So I was hoping for any guidance, links, advise etc so even before I land I have an agenda of where to go and shop! All help will be appreciated, and if your around the 1st beer is on me!

Regards

Sukh666
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Sun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really nice
Default Re: Buying furniture for apartment in Goa

Are you in the north or the south
I used a company that did it all for me all i had to do was unpack my bags
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Hi

In the South - Canacona. I hope this helps?

Regards

Sukh666
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:49 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sukh666
Hi

I was hoping some of you could help me! I need to kit out my apartment in Goa with all movable objects from beds to cups, and I was hoping that someone maybe able to guide me to the best places for bargains in Goa. I'm going out again in May to get everything sorted out.

So I was hoping for any guidance, links, advise etc so even before I land I have an agenda of where to go and shop! All help will be appreciated, and if your around the 1st beer is on me!

Regards

Sukh666

Hi Sukh 666

Or should we call you 'Damien' with the 666 ref?

Just to say welcome to BE. Hope you find lots of useful information now you have plunged into owning a place in Goa.

My advice when buying - barter - then barter even more !!!

Dread - x
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:49 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Sukh 666

Or should we call you 'Damien' with the 666 ref?

Just to say welcome to BE. Hope you find lots of useful information now you have plunged into owning a place in Goa.

My advice when buying - barter - then barter even more !!!

Dread - x
Welcome Sukh666 - There is so much furniture around these days, have a look at the adverts in the local papers. When we bought 9 years ago it was a struggle to find anything, so we had 99% hand made.
But unless you are an Indian I would NOT spend too much on furniture.
As Dread says, bargain, bargain, bargain and walk away. You will see the price drop.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dreadsoc & Noni

Thanks for the useful tips. I love the idea of bartering, bartering and bartering until my brains fall out! However, because I am only out for a week is there such a thing as a shopping mall where everything is under one roof? What I'm trying to do I suppose is shop, and also have a holiday at the same time (I know greedy me)!

Also, in regards to things such as cabinets, tables etc do these come in flat packs. So it's a case of choosing, picking, making, and then using. Instead of having to pre-order to have them made, and then returning to have them put into the apartment?

One more question - I'll been told that Goa is very expensive for electrical equipment, and I have been advised to take a trip out to Mumbai to get electrical equipment - what do you reckon to this advise? If not, do you know anywhere again in Goa for electrical equipment e.g. Plasma TV, Microwave, electric kettle etc.

Sorry, for so many questions first thing on a Monday morning, but for once in my life I'm trying to be organised....

Regards

Sukh666

p.s. I hope you both have had a nice start to the day!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:21 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dreadsoc & Noni

Thanks for the useful tips. I love the idea of bartering, bartering and bartering until my brains fall out! However, because I am only out for a week is there such a thing as a shopping mall where everything is under one roof? What I'm trying to do I suppose is shop, and also have a holiday at the same time (I know greedy me)!

Also, in regards to things such as cabinets, tables etc do these come in flat packs. So it's a case of choosing, picking, making, and then using. Instead of having to pre-order to have them made, and then returning to have them put into the apartment?

One more question - I'll been told that Goa is very expensive for electrical equipment, and I have been advised to take a trip out to Mumbai to get electrical equipment - what do you reckon to this advise? If not, do you know anywhere again in Goa for electrical equipment e.g. Plasma TV, Microwave, electric kettle etc.

Sorry, for so many questions first thing on a Monday morning, but for once in my life I'm trying to be organised....

Regards

Sukh666

p.s. I hope you both have had a nice start to the day!
Most electrical goods are on par with UK. Try buying them all from one shop and bargain, bargain, bargain.

I read in the Lonley Planet my first year in Goa - about the magnificent shopping Malls of Panjim. If anybody has found them, would you kindly let me know,
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Noni

Is there any towns, cities etc you could recommend to visit for all these shopping goods? As you can probably tell I want to narrow this down to a particular location, and then hit every shop feasable to get my goods. Personally, I do not feel I have enough time to travel around seeking goods from here and there.

Also, I'll take on board either your or Dreadsoc's suggestion of looking through the local papers.

On my travels, If I find the 'mystical' shopping mall of Panjim you will be the 1st to know!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Sun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really nice

If you are coming to the north try Samir gift centre in Mapusa behind the market
This is were most hotels and guest houses get there cups plates cutlary ect
from
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Hi SunHunter

Thanks for that! Do you know how the place is for electrical items e.g. Plasma TV, microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge freezer, DVD Player etc?

And again, thanks!

Regards

Sukh666
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi SunHunter

Thanks for that! Do you know how the place is for electrical items e.g. Plasma TV, microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge freezer, DVD Player etc?

And again, thanks!

Regards

Sukh666
Hi there Sukh666.

There is no IKEA or MFI or ARGOS in Goa!

There is no way in a week you can buy everything you need for your apartment and have a holiday! You will need a weeks holiday after trying to purchase everything you need!!!

I`ve 15 years experience of Goa and would not attempt to do what you plan in less than a month!!

J .
PS If you were in the North I could at least give you a list of useful and helpful shops!

Last edited by msj5; Feb 14th 2011 at 4:09 am. Reason: PS
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:21 am

Hi Noni

Is there any towns, cities etc you could recommend to visit for all these shopping goods? As you can probably tell I want to narrow this down to a particular location, and then hit every shop feasable to get my goods. Personally, I do not feel I have enough time to travel around seeking goods from here and there.

Also, I'll take on board either your or Dreadsoc's suggestion of looking through the local papers.

On my travels, If I find the 'mystical' shopping mall of Panjim you will be the 1st to know!
I suppose it is only Panjim and Margo if you can call them cities.
Surely in the South there are shops that sell all the white goods. We grouped together and went to Panjim (only place 9 years ago) and bought in Menzies, just under the bridge as you go into Panjim. I don't know if it is still there or not. Now Calengute (in the North) has a good range of white goods at reasonable prices.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msj5
Hi there Sukh666.

There is no IKEA or MFI or ARGOS in Goa!

There is no way in a week you can buy everything you need for your apartment and have a holiday! You will need a weeks holiday after trying to purchase everything you need!!!

I`ve 15 years experience of Goa and would not attempt to do what you plan in less than a month!!

J .
PS If you were in the North I could at least give you a list of useful and helpful shops!
Agree with above --- everything takes a lot of time even paying at checkouts!!
Can't help with furniture or large electrical as we got most of our big stuff from outside Goa some time ago.
It depends how far you are willing to travel to shop, the North will have far more choice.
Your nearest town is Margao you can get everything there cutlery,crockery etc. the market is good for cooking and cleaning things, good stainless steel shops, but they are small shops by UK standards.
In Canacona you are slightly nearer to Karwar, Kanataka if you have transport or go by bus. (Taxis from Goa will not go as need to be licenced for another state). There is large new electricial store there for small items (I don't know if they would deliver to Goa for large things) we will be there in mid April so will find out details then if you are still on site.
It is worth exploring Karwar for your ordinary shopping; vegetables, fish, fruit etc. in season you can get far more varieties of Mango than you will ever see in Goa. Textiles: bed covers. The Sunday market is amazing.

PS just seen Noni's post, definition of a city in India is more than 70,000 population so Karwar is now a city.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:39 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by johnny five; Feb 14th 2011 at 9:44 am. Reason: Realised I really couldnt be bothred to argue with this rubbish
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:58 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sukh

I think you are being a bit ambitious in hoping to furnish your flat in a week, as others have said. You may have to just 'get by' with minimal and do it bit by bit each time you come.

My experience has been that electrical goods are usually delivered same day or the following day. However furniture such as beds, wardrobes, sofas, chairs etc are made to order in most places, and these will take several weeks before delivery. This is the case whether made in wood or cane.

I agree with checking the local ads as you may find some bargains for some second hand stuff. Also ask around as the 'Goa grapevine' is a minefield of information.

Another little tip - if you buy cane stuff make sure you have varnished it as this protects it during monsoon. Also before you leave Goa, spray it with ant spray (available in all general shops and supermarkets here) as it keeps them little blighters from setting up home in your furniture, and buy a load of cheap sarongs or lengths of fabric to cover stuff like your tv as Goa is a pretty dusty place at the best of times.

All the best

Dread - x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.