Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Best areas to live...

Best areas to live...

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:19 am
Just Joined

vbcm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best areas to live...

What are the best areas to live in Goa? We need to be relatively close to Panjim. We want somewhere safe and quiet but still close to beaches etc?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:50 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best areas to live...

Welcome to British Expats!
Was just reading your questions on IndiaMike.
We are British living in Goa (or trying to)
Will try to give some answers for you later, also we are past having children around but will try with other things (it was me who checked out the playschool for Jackie Aberdeen)
Talk later.

If you are wondering why an answer on this site not IM?
You have to be far too careful what you say on IM, anything critical of India and the "local" contibutors are down your throat like a shot!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:09 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
Welcome to British Expats!
Was just reading your questions on IndiaMike.
We are British living in Goa (or trying to)
Will try to give some answers for you later, also we are past having children around but will try with other things (it was me who checked out the playschool for Jackie Aberdeen)
Talk later.

If you are wondering why an answer on this site not IM?
You have to be far too careful what you say on IM, anything critical of India and the "local" contibutors are down your throat like a shot!
Welcome Vbcm J5 is quite right about the other thread, hopefully Poppetjay will be able to help you and some of the others.

We personally like Candolim, you can live there, without being on the main drag, and quite close to the beach.

Please do not BUY if you are a FN

Noni
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

How long would it take to drive from say Candolim to Panjim?

And what do people with kids (3 and 4 year olds) normally do for transport there? Just get taxis?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vbcm3
How long would it take to drive from say Candolim to Panjim?

And what do people with kids (3 and 4 year olds) normally do for transport there? Just get taxis?
On a scooter, using the Betim ferry - about 20 mins to ferry. From there it depends on the ferry whether you just catch it or just miss it (we usually do the latter) they run about every 15 mins.

Question 2 - do as the locals do and all get on the same scooter
Bus or taxi usually.

Last edited by emsirrah; Apr 21st 2009 at 4:59 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:04 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emsirrah
On a scooter, using the Betim ferry - about 20 mins to ferry. From there it depends on the ferry whether you just catch it or just miss it (we usually do the latter) they run about every 15 mins.

Question 2 - do as the locals do and all get on the same scooter
Bus or taxi usually.
Saw five on a PUSH BIKE.
Are there many taxi's in the Monsoon?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:12 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Saw five on a PUSH BIKE.
Are there many taxi's in the Monsoon?
Good question Noni!

No.......saw amost zero "tourist taxis" during monsoon. Black and yellows yes, and rickshaws. Obviously the thieving little sh*ts with the T. T.'s make enough money during the season.
Talking about the monsoon, and vbcm3 (wouldn't a name be nice, even a false one?) will be arriving at the start of the next one, even if she or other half can ride one, do they really want to be doing that with two small children in torrential rain every day? There's always the buses of course, and if finances permit a "resting for the monsoon" driver could probably be found at a half sensible rate?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info...

No I cant see myself on a scooter with the kiddies! Will just sort out the transport situation when we get there.

Anyone know of any nice places coming up for rent soon?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

When are you arriving? Mosnoon is not at all bad, just takes some getting used to.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Can anyone advise regarding the cost of living in Goa?

My needs are a one-bedroom flat in a safe area (doesn't have to be too posh) and fast internet (a must).

A breakdown of all costs would be gratefully received

TIA.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:49 pm
Banned

If fast broadband is really a must, forget Goa, it does not exist. Not even semi-fast, in fact scarcely above slow really. Plus to get that pathetic service you will need a landline and the waiting time for that is 6-9 months.
Probably better with your Turkey or Portugal options, maybe? No 4 month monsoon in either of those places either.............
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

jagger is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnny
I got a landline put in in 2 weeks last november had to pay 500 rupes as a bribe but was worth it.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

oktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jagger
Johnny
I got a landline put in in 2 weeks last november had to pay 500 rupes as a bribe but was worth it.
if a bribe was involved i would imagine this was through the government run bsnl ? how about private companies like reliance and tata - i understand their lines are (better) conditioned for both telephony and internet, and as private companies, i imagine it would be quicker to get a connection through them ?
i would be particularly interested to learn about the options for land line service providers in benaulim other than the government run service - should any exist
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi erinsgirl,

We dont have a set arrival date yet but will be in the next couple of months. Let me know if you hear of any nice rentals coming up!

Cheers,
V
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by johnny five
If fast broadband is really a must, forget Goa, it does not exist. Not even semi-fast, in fact scarcely above slow really. Plus to get that pathetic service you will need a landline and the waiting time for that is 6-9 months.
Probably better with your Turkey or Portugal options, maybe? No 4 month monsoon in either of those places either.............
If that's true about the internet then yes I better forget about Goa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.