Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

bbc radio 4/goa property market

bbc radio 4/goa property market

Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: bbc radio 4/goa property market

When I showed my OH a-f-d previous post she said that has she not being saying the same thing all along. Also she does not have ostrich mentality but does not want the stress about something which has not happened.
She wants us to go back to Goa next month and enjoy it the same as we have done for many years without thinking about what may or may not happen and not sit in bars and restaurants discussing the Goa housing situation.
We are in a fortunate position that all our money is not invested in Goa and unlike some people here will be (quite) happy with a 6 month visa although would prefer to go back to our 5 year one.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

Where are are Eddie Waring and Stuart Hall in all this ?
We could ressurect "It's a Knockout" on Friday nights.
First up Fylde Coat v Goring -on Sea !!

Happy Memories
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:58 pm
Banned

Location: Goring-by-Sea,West Sussex, Algarve,Portugal and Cochin,Kerala
Blue_Max is an unknown quantity at this point

I dislike pretentious retorts. Responding to it does not lead to a debate that is intelligent or informative. So I won't respond to 'hemingway'. Besides, the whole truth is out there to be seen by those who are prepared open their eyes and minds.

Back on topic again!
To add to what a_f_d said, "...I do think it will get sorted eventually."

Absolutely!

Apparently this kind of thing happens a lot in India. One example I know personally is that of a dentist who bought a unit on the forth floor of new commercial building in Cochin. Very modern with top name shops on the first two floors, full air-con, capsule lifts, smart security guards, etc.

It turned out that there is problem with the planning permission. And the builder is not allowed to give deeds to the buyers. Over ten years have gone by now. The case is filed away somewhere in the High Court. Neither party seem interested in making progress. Those who bought moved in as and when construction finished and as intended. Can't get services in their names but who cares as long as they get the services! And they are doing whatever they wanted to do with the place.

This kind of 'in limbo' status is nothing new to them. They accept it and get on with it. India will not be where it is today if private sector had waited for the government to catch up. They find a way around it.

At first my jaws dropped when hearing cases like this. Not anymore!

Get organised and join forces. There will then be enough resources to get a team of top advocates. Use their legal muscle to do whatever is necessary to stop action by the Goan govt that is of any real consequence.
Having transferred that weight off your shoulders, enjoy living in your property and enjoy Goa.
The heat, the humidity, the flies, the mosquitoes, the 'smells of India', the works!

Greetings from sunny Sussex coast and enjoying the great British summer

Last edited by Blue_Max; Aug 1st 2008 at 6:14 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:21 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue_Max
I dislike pretentious retorts. Responding to it does not lead to a debate that is intelligent or informative. So I won't respond to 'hemingway'. Besides, the whole truth is out there to be seen by those who are prepared open their eyes and minds.

Back on topic again!
To add to what a_f_d said, "...I do think it will get sorted eventually."

Absolutely!

Apparently this kind of thing happens a lot in India. One example I know personally is that of a dentist who bought a unit on the forth floor of new commercial building in Cochin. Very modern with top name shops on the first two floors, full air-con, capsule lifts, smart security guards, etc.

It turned out that there is problem with the planning permission. And the builder is not allowed to give deeds to the buyers. Over ten years have gone by now. The case is filed away somewhere in the High Court. Neither party seem interested in making progress. Those who bought moved in as and when construction finished and as intended. Can't get services in their names but who cares as long as they get the services! And they are doing whatever they wanted to do with the place.

This kind of 'in limbo' status is nothing new to them. They accept it and get on with it. India will not be where it is today if private sector had waited for the government to catch up. They find a way around it.

At first my jaws dropped when hearing cases like this. Not anymore!

Get organised and join forces. There will then be enough resources to get a team of top advocates. Use their legal muscle to do whatever is necessary to stop action by the Goan govt that is of any real consequence.
Having transferred that weight off your shoulders, enjoy living in your property and enjoy Goa.
The heat, the humidity, the flies, the mosquitoes, the 'smells of India', the works!

Greetings from sunny Sussex coast and enjoying the great British summer

Sorry blue - you might be getting British Summer, but we are not. it is a Monsoon summer for us. Unfortunately we MAY have ten years left in our lives. Why were we recommended to make a Goan Will another £100. if things were not kosher. Thought we would do this to save the family any problems
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Seminar on Tourism in Goa on Aug 8
2 Aug: UNI. Goa Tourism organisations have organised a seminar on Tourism on August 8. The seminar will discuss the roadmap for development of tourism industry in Goa, given the adverse publicity it had received The focus areas of the seminar will be prospects for development of eco and heritage tourism.
more details..

Probably going to hold this on the RIVER PRINCESS... AND PROBABLY THE SEMINAR WILL SINK AS WELL
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

Yawn..Yawn..Yawn..I think we've heard this all before,in fact every year.
Result, or evident result ...zero !
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:23 pm
Banned

renegade is on a distinguished road

havent been on here for a while and im thinking of booking a trip to goa,how are things shaping up for the crimble season ??
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

In a word 'disasterous'.Look at some of the negativity on the Goan Voice website, and various posts on here.
Anything that can go wrong is going wrong.Sorry to be like this but no positives in view even for born optomists.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:00 pm
Banned

blimey,in light of the recent events in mumbai i thought that maybe people would be a little anxious ,to say the least, about visiting india and goa in particular but i never thought things would be this bad
just had a good read through goan voice and it all sounds a bit depressing to be honest,i also had a look through this forum and found much the same depressing reading,not sure whether to book up or maybe look elsewhere for some winter sunshine
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by renegade
blimey,in light of the recent events in mumbai i thought that maybe people would be a little anxious ,to say the least, about visiting india and goa in particular but i never thought things would be this bad
just had a good read through goan voice and it all sounds a bit depressing to be honest,i also had a look through this forum and found much the same depressing reading,not sure whether to book up or maybe look elsewhere for some winter sunshine
Trust us look elsewhere. If we hadn't already booked we would no be going out - and we have been visiting for many years. Sadly and with much grief Goa is finished and we will not be going out again!
Both Daff's
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:54 pm
Banned

well thats quite a hefty statement to be making,goa is finished,i respect your opinion totally,but to say goa is finished seems a bit heavy to me,could you maybe elaborate further as to why you think its finished ?
i do take this forum very seriously and espescially peoples opinions and views on different parts of the planet,thats not to say i always agree with them,but i guess thats the beauty of this site,all views are welcome,so again i would really appreciate it if you could give me some more info on why goa is finished,,im feeling a little sad at hearing that to be honest
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by renegade
well thats quite a hefty statement to be making,goa is finished,i respect your opinion totally,but to say goa is finished seems a bit heavy to me,could you maybe elaborate further as to why you think its finished ?
i do take this forum very seriously and espescially peoples opinions and views on different parts of the planet,thats not to say i always agree with them,but i guess thats the beauty of this site,all views are welcome,so again i would really appreciate it if you could give me some more info on why goa is finished,,im feeling a little sad at hearing that to be honest
Sorry should have been a little clearer. Goa is finished for US. Specifically we have been prevented from registering the deeds to our property for which we paid a freehold price, and are now in a no-mans-land; can't sell can't buy; the rubbish is piling up on the streets in the towns and developments, is not being removed and is therefore encouraging vermin and disease, the electricity fails at very regular intervals and the minute a white face is spotted the price of everything is doubled. Coupled with the corrupt ruling agencies and the ever present threats of muggings, murders and terororism why would we want to go there anymore? This is not the Goa we fell in love with all those years ago. Goa will remain but whether the tourists will only time can tell.
PS read the post Candolim protest as an example of what we mean

Last edited by Daff; Dec 17th 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

spangalina is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with Daff entirely! unfortunately, the parties over, and i tried hard for last 3 seasons but after all the horrors of last year said enuff is enuff. its in a mess and i don't want to be part of it anymore, so my mates have divided up the furniture, another has the enfield, its so sad. but we're off to new places and very excited! will miss mussel rawa but as the Buddha says 'nothing stays the same'...............time to move on..................
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

I wish i could just walk away but unfortunately all my saving are tied up in my property and i have no where else to go, my friends have just received a show cause notice ( they went to the D of E 2 years ago for an interview and were told everything was ok) now they have 30 days to prove they are residents!!!! they have been to their advocate who told them to go to Mumbai, so they phoned the D of E and said they were coming, he told them not to bother and he gave them a number of a good advocate Vickram Verma so whos working for whom now??? someone please tell me, his retainer is 25.000 before he will even start the ball rolling for you,
My friends are shitting themselves as we all are, they have done everything according to the rules 8 years ago have 5 year visa, residents permit but still they are being threatened with confistcation, or a fine 3 times the value of the property.
please someone enlighten me how can you prove you are resident and have intention to stay because you cannot say you are retired you cannot say you are on holiday!!!!!! and VV is stating now that a 5 year X visa is a tourists visa. they have changed the rules again.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poppetjay
I wish i could just walk away but unfortunately all my saving are tied up in my property and i have no where else to go, my friends have just received a show cause notice ( they went to the D of E 2 years ago for an interview and were told everything was ok) now they have 30 days to prove they are residents!!!! they have been to their advocate who told them to go to Mumbai, so they phoned the D of E and said they were coming, he told them not to bother and he gave them a number of a good advocate Vickram Verma so whos working for whom now??? someone please tell me, his retainer is 25.000 before he will even start the ball rolling for you,
My friends are shitting themselves as we all are, they have done everything according to the rules 8 years ago have 5 year visa, residents permit but still they are being threatened with confistcation, or a fine 3 times the value of the property.
please someone enlighten me how can you prove you are resident and have intention to stay because you cannot say you are retired you cannot say you are on holiday!!!!!! and VV is stating now that a 5 year X visa is a tourists visa. they have changed the rules again.
Have sent you a PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.